Author Topic: Eclipse Class RELEASED  (Read 38266 times)

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Eclipse Class RELEASED
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »
Since releasing the Enterprise F a year and a half ago, and starting construction of it more than two years ago, I've struggled to come up with a concept for a next-next generation of Federation flagship-class of ship.  When I initially decided to re-name the Supremus re-imagination to Enterprise, I recall feeling some apprehension, because I knew that since the name is so cherished, it could be a pretty tough sell.  With more than 11,400 downloads of that ship, and it regularly being in the top 25 Downloads every week since, I feel good about the decision and a bit vindicated, since there were some people who really thought that the name Enterprise should not have been used.

I'm feeling that same apprehension again.

When I decided to re-imagine the Supremus, I went through a deliberative process, essentially asking myself: "If I did it over again, what would I do differently to improve the visual appearance, and make it look about 20 years newer than the Sovereign?"  This is the same process I have gone through this past weekend, except with the Century.  If I had to do it over again, and build a ship from about 2525, what would it look like?

Here's the list...

1. much more streamlined integration of nacelles and nacelle pylons.
2. Pylons should be wider from for to aft.
3. improved dorsal phaser coverage
4. 15% bigger
5. Thicker towards aft end of ship.
6. more advanced and less traditional looking impulse engines.
7. Saucer separation
8. maintain forward pushed drive section while reducing front heavy appearance of the ship.
9. Mount nacelles further forward on the ship.
10. a smooth appearance that incorporates edged design principles.
11. bridge should sit further forward on the saucer
12. slightly triangular saucer that tapers more at the rear.
13. reduced cutaway
14. phaser arrays that are recognizable but appear enhanced with additional but streamlined structure.
15. uniform appearance of torpedo launchers.
16. some type of heavy burst cannon weapon, mounted axialy, highly integrated into main body.
17. Revolutionary deflector design.
18. Redesigned escape pod hatches.  Different type of arrangements.
19. Redesigned trasporter pads.
20. drive section body structures that flow into the saucer and go around the inner circumferance.
21. drive section body flares.
22. nacelle phaser mounts.
23. some modeled interiors.
24. impulse engine that straddles the middle section of the dorsal ship.

The overall design is still not a radical one.  Every Enterprise, including F, has followed GR's rules of starship design, and this one is really no different.  But I have tried to stay true to a few principles of my own that I see as being a constant for a ship this size:

1. An emphasis on a strong, uni-body construction, where things such as nacelle pylons appear a more integrated part of the body as opposed to sticking out from it.

2. An saucer that has some elements of a more advanced triangular shape, but due to the ship's size, must be mostly oblong, as opposed to smaller cruisers and frigates.

There are some deceiving visual elements on this ship.  For example, the nacelles are mounted slightly higher up more forward, giving the nacelles the appearance of being short, when in fact, they are longer than those of the Enterprise F.  The saucer might also appear short in length, when in fact, it too is longer than the one on the F.

The mesh is really still a fairly early WIP.  I've basically just got the basic shape fleshed out, and the process of adding details and making everything flow and be smooth is underway.  one thing you may notice is the thickness of the nacelle pylons.  That is an intentional design, a nodding of the hat to the problem facing by Paris and Torres as they modified a shuttle to try and get to warp 10.  They had a problem with the nacelles trying to fly away from the ship.  While the Enterprise G does not go warp 10, it will (in conjecture) go so fast at warp as to begin to have the same problem... hence the large uni-body pylons.

The deflector dish is meant to show a reasonable degree of enhancement over the previous generation while remaining recognizable.

I expect this to be a long term project, with a release anywhere between September - December, as I have important commitments to ST: Excalibur.

As a side note, some of the inspiration for this ship has come from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Raptor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G8

As usual, i look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
Re: The Next Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:23:24 PM »
more pics.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
And some comparison shots with the Enterprise F.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »
hmm i like the ship.. I'm not the a fan of the galaxy class style nacelle pylons though

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:16:24 AM »
I'm not the a fan of the galaxy class style nacelle pylons though

I 100% disagree. I think having the Galaxy-ish nacelle pylons adds a bit of lineage to the ship, an homage of past ships named Enterprise. The Enterprise-F was the same way in that it had a similar pylon style to the Enterprise-E.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FourChan

• Admiral Noel Vermillion
  • Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Technologies Development Center
    • Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »
I think DJ just made me drool on my keyboard. Also with the Deflector, I like how it's split like that, it's new and unusual which is a great thing. Seems like it's made for Transwarp or Slipstream in order to navigate it easier :P

Offline Shion

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:42:33 AM »
I can tell that you have put forth a considerable amount of effort into brainstorming and conceptualizing this ship.  It shows.  As such, I have absolutely no recommendations that could make this mesh look any better than it already does.  I'd say you nailed the time period and look you were going for perfectly.   The design elements make the ship look both large and streamlined.  Perfectly suited as a successor to the Century class.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 05:25:46 AM »
The model is awesome.

But Enterprise again? I suggest not calling it Enterprise. A unique name would be good. I don't dislike the name Enterprise but there are other ways of making a ship famous rather then giving it a familiar name.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:04 AM »
I like alot DJ though she looks more like a beefed up Intrepid Class than a Heavy cruiser. Still a fine looking ship and wish I had a quater of your talent.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
From what I see, it looks like the exact opposite to the Century class, and if that is what you were aiming for, you struck it dead on. It's an interesting design, and I like the "Exhaust" sort of look that the Impulse engines have.  Though I guess a ship isn't set in stone until the smaller details are placed (Which can change an appearance radically), so I look forward to seeing how you handle that with this one.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 07:23:32 AM »
I dislike the deflector, otherwise I love the design. DJ as a bit of lineage try using your DJ style deflector.

Offline martyr

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »
i love the galaxy style back end.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25:01 AM »
DJ is the raised section running along the top and then round to be bottom of each nacelle going to be a phaser strip?

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
Oh i really like it :D awsome work dj!

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »
DJ, I love your ships to death... but not this one. :(
I am not getting the "Oh it's Enterprise!" thing from this.  I guess it's because I've seen to many fanboy pics on the web of someone taking a Prometheus class and slapping "Enterprise" on it.  It just looks too... warship-y.

My major issues with it:
1.  The triangular saucer has got to go.  No other Enterprise has had anything unlike a circle.  Again, it just seems too much like a warship.
2.  The deflector is too original.  The Century style deflector had that bisected look, which was good, but this one looks like you have two.  I suggest removing that halver and instead unite the two halves or do something similar to what was on the Vivace, Raptor, Century, etc.  Or you could just do a round deflector, like on the EntE.
3.  Too many phasers.  The Enterprise was never meant to be a warship.  If any Alpha Quadrant power gets the impression that the Federation flagship was built for war, they'll just become more hostile.  I suggest going back to the EntD, where the saucer had just two huge phaser strips.  Maybe you could have just one modeled strip, but treat it as if it were many in the HP.

Other than that, I love the nacelles.  They are reminiscent of the Galaxy's, yet streamlined like the Sovereign's.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »
Farshot, keep in mind that time change, perhaps the Feds had to aim for a more warlike look due to changing status with other races and such... Besides, progress doesn't mean it has to look old.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Darran

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »
I like aspects of it, i think it could benefit from more of a rearward sweep the the pylons and slightly more elongated nacelles, (btw dj, still working on the sun-tzu class msd.... slowly)

Offline Darkthorne

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »
DJ I like this design... the dual deflector for this ship seems both advanced and very appropiate. while others do think there may be too many phasers .. I think there are not enough... not because it gives a warship feel to it, but because there is currently no phaser coverage aft on the stardrive, leaving a large blind spot that most ships do try and cover. But its early on and I know as things progress the ship will only improve more.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
-Pulp Fiction

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 08:38:03 PM »
Excellent as usual.

My suggestions:

1. The nacelle pylons (especially from the top view look a bit too fat. Maybe streamline them a bit.

2. Nacelles are nice, but I think they might need to be ever so slightly lengthened.

3. I can see this design eventually being worthy of the name Enterprise, but IMHO, I hold the name Excelsior with nearly as much regard..... How about the Excelsior C or D?

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 09:16:31 PM »
Its great work as usual DJ, but if I might I would like to dissent and say I dont like this one as the next Enterpise. Though I can see where you were going, something seems wrong with the overall shape. I cant quite put my finger on it though....I would say its something in its dorsal face fore-mid to aft quarter. Might be how the main hull connects to the nacelle strut assembly.