Author Topic: Destiny (Air, Part 1)  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
Destiny (Air, Part 1)
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:52:41 PM »
The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago.

This, I hope, will be my crowning glory. My child. Yes, I am attempting to not only model Destiny, but get a very sharp, quality model in game, with as many greebles as I can. Think of it as a personal goal, and a gift to other fans of the fledgeling series. I've been going over every fly-by the show has given us, and taking notes. The season finale gave us a great sense of the ships scale several times, and I have concluded it to be roughly about the length of two Sovereigns (Such an accurate unit of measurement  :funny)

Anyway, she's not nearly done, not by a very, very long shot. With any luck (And no midseason hiatus) the ship will be ready to be discovered within 20 major updates. Time-spent being another personal goal of mine.

So, with nothing more to add, please enjoy the renders! Constructive criticism is always appreciated and encouraged. :)

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: Destiny (Air, Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
You're nuts, you know that? Good luck completing this purdy ship. :)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
Holy carp man! :dance

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »
I know someone who would be jumping all around, nice to see someone finally taking this on, as a bit of advice, from what Ive seen of the destiny, shes much thicker than what you have. otherwise, goodjob

*cookied*
Star Trek Collision

Offline Villain

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
You're nuts, you know that? Good luck completing this purdy ship. :)

I try. :P I just wanted to get in on it before someone got to it before me.  :funny

Holy carp man! :dance

Carp indeed!

I know someone who would be jumping all around, nice to see someone finally taking this on, as a bit of advice, from what Ive seen of the destiny, shes much thicker than what you have. otherwise, goodjob

*cookied*

Mate,I'm jumping all around, I adore this ship. :P As for her being a thick girl, she is somewhat, those angles just don't show the lower decks.

Thanks for all the praise guys, I appreciate it!

---
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:03:10 PM »
That looks damn good so far! Looking forward to the result.

One thing that jumps out though, I think the curve towards the back is much smoother.

Looky here
MUSE!!!

Offline Villain

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that after watching Ep 20, that whole section is still separate though, so it'll be fixed up shortly. Thanks for the image though. Might have to try and replicate it when I get her ingame. :P

---

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
I heard Carlyle when I read the first line. lol

Nice job. I'll look forward to this one.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that after watching Ep 20, that whole section is still separate though, so it'll be fixed up shortly. Thanks for the image though. Might have to try and replicate it when I get her ingame. :P

Yeah Gateworld had HD screen-caps of every episode of SGU if you need references.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 11:35:38 PM »
Sweet, can't wait for this one, are you going to build 2, one SGU beat up version and one thats brand new looking?

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »
And one with the missing hyperdrive module?  :yay: :yay: :yay:

:bow:Thank you for doing this! I am starting to really get into 'Sgoo', as I call it.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
And one with the missing hyperdrive module?  :yay: :yay: :yay:

:bow:Thank you for doing this! I am starting to really get into 'Sgoo', as I call it.

In point of fact, Desinty never had a proper hyperdrive, just a less advanced FTL drive.

This is indeed good looking so far. Plus, if you want good clean weapon sounds, you can get them from Earth (1x07).
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Villain

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:34:22 AM »
Sweet, can't wait for this one, are you going to build 2, one SGU beat up version and one thats brand new looking?

I'm unsure currently, I did really enjoy the Ancient warship (I think) that was in the Stargate Packs, where you had to pick between being cozy or weapons, so I guess that'll be figured out later down the road.

And one with the missing hyperdrive module?  :yay: :yay: :yay:

Destiny is quite potentially the most beautiful scifi craft imo, it's hard to choose between it and the Connie though. It might be cool if the specific segment you're talking about could be detatched via mvam, then used as a mine or something.  :)

In point of fact, Desinty never had a proper hyperdrive, just a less advanced FTL drive.

This is indeed good looking so far. Plus, if you want good clean weapon sounds, you can get them from Earth (1x07).

Yeah, I'm definitely planning authentic sounds, maybe if I can get a little help down the road I can give her an SGU-styled slipstream, as I really do love the noises that makes. So eerily calming.

---

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
if only you could recharge the batteries by entering a sun

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »

*Facepalm* Yep. Sorry.

Though I don't know about less advanced.
A lot of things about Destiny's timeline don't make too much sense. For example, the shields and hull can withstand DIRECT CONTACT with stellar material, and yet the much later (and presumably more advanced) Atlantis was like an eggshell most of the time. Also, the FTL system Destiny uses can cross the expanse between galaxies before the beginning of the next episode, and it takes (how long?) using Atlantis' intergalactic hyperdrive?
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
*Facepalm* Yep. Sorry.

Though I don't know about less advanced.
A lot of things about Destiny's timeline don't make too much sense. For example, the shields and hull can withstand DIRECT CONTACT with stellar material, and yet the much later (and presumably more advanced) Atlantis was like an eggshell most of the time. Also, the FTL system Destiny uses can cross the expanse between galaxies before the beginning of the next episode, and it takes (how long?) using Atlantis' intergalactic hyperdrive?

Really, we should be discussing this in the stargate thread. Maybe these couple of posts will get moved there. But to answer your "tech woes", yes, Atlantis had basically a eggshell thin shield when confronted with all kinds of terrors, but that was only because it had been running on 3 ZPM's, each one eventually dying out, constantly while at the bottom of an ocean for roughly 10,000 years before Weir's expidition team arrived. ZPMs are powerful, but they don't last for ever.

Also, story duration on SGU rarely is completed in "real-time". Meaning, the episode is 42 minutes long, but it takes longer than 42 minutes for Destiny to cross the expanse between galaxies (Destiny is hundreds of thousands of years old, while Atlantis is only tens of thousands). The point I am trying to make is, that TPTB is hardly going to make a CGI Destiny cross a stellar expanse in real-time on it's current FTL technology, lol.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
Assuming these posts will be moved, I'll discuss that last post here:

The timeframe of TJ's pregnancy seems to limit the amount of time the ship could have taken to cross the expanse. I concede that it's not exactly accurate, but I was expecting a bit of wonderment in the next episode at the outer rim of the new galaxy and perhaps some strange new world to explore or run off of.

Instead, by the next episode, they'd been in-galaxy long enough for a few days to have passed since the last off-ship away team. I'd have liked an episode dealing with the boredom of the crossing. Would have been cheap and character-focused. Still, they followed it up with a pretty cracking 3-part finale, so I'm not too cut up about it.

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »
Good job, I think some one was doing one at sci fi meshes too, ya might want to look it up, might help  :)

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »
Good job, I think some one was doing one at sci fi meshes too, ya might want to look it up, might help  :)

Currently running somewhere in the range of 1.5 million polys! :eek

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?71125-Destiny&highlight=destiny

Offline Villain

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »
Thanks guys, I actually don't have an account at SFM, I don't have the time for more than one forum really at most.

1.5m polys, I'd give my legs for that kind of concentration  :funny , dunno how I'm going to handle the turrets in BC, positioning-wise at least. I think they'll be loads of fun when i get to that stage though.

---