Author Topic: How possible...?  (Read 646 times)

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
How possible...?
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:45:42 AM »
Would it be to have moving parts on, say, a starbase? I'm talking things like doors. I know FTech handles limited animations on certain triggers, and that the new wormhole in Xtended is triggered based on proximity, so it kind of made me think... Would it be possible to have a starbase door that triggers on proximity, and utilizes FTech to animate the doors opening?

This was put here instead of scripting as it's more just curiousity for now, and partly because I'm currently scripting-dumb.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
Re: How possible...?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »
You'd be better using MVAM, its designed to move models, so just turn the doors into two seperate models.

You'd need to script the proximity trigger, probably off the Docking Script.

Edit, if you do use the docking script, you'll probably want to turn of the cutscene in the MVAM plugin.
This should produce a nice effect of the doors opening on approach and closing on departure.

Edit 2: Just thought a bit more about this.
If the docking script is used, you could trigger the 'close' cutscene in the MVAM plugin after the docking script is run to show the doors closing after entering.

Similarly, you could use the MVAM 'open' cutscene to open the door before departing.

You'd have to get the timing and the speed of the doors right, but it would look quite cool!

Of course if you don't use the docking script, you'd have to have another way of triggering the doors (via the proximity script you mentioned), but this wouldn't dock your ship obviously.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
Re: How possible...?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:52 AM »
Noted! Thanks for taking the time to explain it El, I really appreciate it. It was mostly just an idea for "cool stuff", so there was really no particular preference on how, just thought animated doors would look awesome.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.