Author Topic: Multiplayer Damage Online  (Read 1565 times)

sbpaabck

Multiplayer Damage Online
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been using BC for some time now and particularly enjoy the KM1.0 mod with some tweaking to the damage FX

My question is:

Is it possible to mod BC to enable full damage effects in multiplayer? I understand that in order to be of use you would need to run two copies of the same modded install between the computers online but this is not a problem as my mate lives just down the road.

It would be cool if we could fight online with the proper damage effects, is this possible and if so how do I go about doing it?

Your help is much appreciated :)

sbpaabck

Re: Multiplayer Damage Online
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »
Hi,

after further reading it seems this is because qb doesnt utilise foundation and thus the mutators. However qb turkeyshoot does seem to make use of scripts such as transport and mines so surely it could be edited somehow to also use damage textures etc.

I just wish i knew more about scripting but I need some help, does anyone know how to do this?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »
umm first of all QB turkyshoot?? ya mean MP?

I don't think we can ever get the full damage effect in MP.
It may be locked away in the exe, hardcoded...
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »
probably designed that way to reduce the amount of data that has to be sent from one machine to another

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »
Aside from the fact that people can have different damage settings, some computers (at that time) couldn't even handle it.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

sbpaabck

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 04:58:18 AM »
umm first of all QB turkyshoot?? ya mean MP?

Yeah, I mean multiplayer,

However I disagree, if nano fx can be added to turkey shoot surely the program can be told to utilise the damage fx, even if it is only showing on the local computer, there is no need to have the "spinning wreck" for more than a second or two, the program could be told to remove it to prevent lag etc, as it does already.

I just wish that someone with the skills could comment on this, surely better damage fx are a massive thing to have missing from multiplayer, takes the fun out of it and makes it less realistic.

With the advent of dual core (and the help of my BFG 9800 GTX+ oc) and the speeds of 10mb broadband surely we have reached the age where a fresh crew of modders can come up with something!

Come on BC fans this is a call to arms! what can we do? Engage? lol :)

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 05:01:06 AM »
Tbh Trek hasn't ever been realistic. ;)

Really, you won't find anybody more capable of answering and explaining why we don't have damage in MP than the people here. BC can only go so far, too.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

sbpaabck

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:02:37 AM »
Tbh Trek hasn't ever been realistic. ;)

Really, you won't find anybody more capable of answering and explaining why we don't have damage in MP than the people here. BC can only go so far, too.

Agreed, this is definately the place to ask  :)

All I really need to know is how NANO FX, Splash Explosions etc were added to turkey shoot and how to modify it to enable extra damage FX.

I am only going to be playing 2 players with a friend with an identical install, we have good PC's, fast pings and good internet bandwidth.

Im sure our games could handle an exploding ship or two, now that the hardware has improved we just need to enable this effect!

Cheers for all the help :) does anyone know how to go about this?

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »
Nano FX is just that FX, it can't be modified to get physical model Damage in BC MP. 

sbpaabck

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
Nano FX is just that FX, it can't be modified to get physical model Damage in BC MP. 

Aah, thanks for answering Nebula, I know you know your stuff from all the posts of yours i've read, also weren't you very instrumental in KM 1.0? if so hats off to you sir, what a fine piece of work !

Now as far as this problem goes, can you explain how the damage can be enabled, surely someone cleverer than I knows what needs to be done, surely someone knows how this can be done? Everyone seems have totally given up on this, the impression I am getting is thst this is impossible!

Well.....

If this was an episode of star trek they wouldn't just give up, the would go on until they found the answer no matter how elusive!

C'mon crew get those thinking caps on!!!!!

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »

Meaning we can't crack it and ship it out to the public...
Cause it would be illegal...

We've looked into this before, a few times, and that's one of the largest possibilities.

sbpaabck

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »

Meaning we can't crack it and ship it out to the public...
Cause it would be illegal...

We've looked into this before, a few times, and that's one of the largest possibilities.

thats a real shame, do you think there are any hardcore BC players out there who may have done this for their own private games?

man, im totally gutted  :(

sbpaabck

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
So how is it illegal?

If we got permissions from the games company could it be done?

Does anyone actually know how to do this, which tools to use or is everyone scared of upsetting a company that probably doesn't even care?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »
We are simply not allowed to alter the executable, it's explicitly forbidden.

Look, we don't support warez (mention that you know a place or use it, and you will be banned), at all, against the rules. There have been great troubles with it in the past.

Aside from that, we have been trying for a long time to get the game (minus the graphics engine, which is licenced) open sourced, meaning that we could add stuff to it, like damage in multiplayer, or skinshields, etc, etc. But Activision simply won't do it. For one, they don't own the star trek licence anymore. Aside from that, there have already been some attempts to even buy Bridge Commander (by real companies, NightSoft is one of them, ie. Raven) but even those offers were refused.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

sbpaabck

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
We are simply not allowed to alter the executable, it's explicitly forbidden.

Look, we don't support warez (mention that you know a place or use it, and you will be banned), at all, against the rules. There have been great troubles with it in the past.

Aside from that, we have been trying for a long time to get the game (minus the graphics engine, which is licenced) open sourced, meaning that we could add stuff to it, like damage in multiplayer, or skinshields, etc, etc. But Activision simply won't do it. For one, they don't own the star trek licence anymore. Aside from that, there have already been some attempts to even buy Bridge Commander (by real companies, NightSoft is one of them, ie. Raven) but even those offers were refused.

Warez, now theres a term I havent heard in years. Dont remember saying I was an advocate of the stuff even the name sounds dodgy to me.

Ok well it looks as though you have already tried to do this until your face melted off so i'll stop pressing the issue.

Shame the ppl with the rights are being such targs.

Thanks for your time, if anyone wants to get in touch to discuss this pm me and i'll give you my email address so we can discuss outside of the forum.  live long and prosper!

P.s. turkey shoot still rocks, I had a 45 min battle with my friend last night :)

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
I'm fairly sure, correct me if I'm insane, that KM0.9 had multiplayer damage enabled. It was disabled for 1.0 because it was too unstable.

Like I said, I may be insane, least that's what people say... just cause my uncle was a radiator!
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
nope KM 0.9 never had damage enabled....

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 07:21:27 PM »
 :x YOU SAYIN' MY UNCLE WASN'T A RADIATOR!?
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!