Author Topic: Something cheap and as good as Photoshop  (Read 748 times)

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Something cheap and as good as Photoshop
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
I would like to make some uniforms but I don't have Photoshop. I will also need to learn how to properly make mutators aswell.

Uniforms I want to make:
Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis
Apophis Jaffa armour (helmetless version)
Apophis Jaffa armour (helmet version)
Apophis Jaffa armour (Serpent/Sokar hybrid version)
BC-303 Prometheus Crew Uniforms
DSC-304 Daedalus Uniforms
DSC-304 Oddysey Uniforms
DSC-304 Apollo Uniforms
Ancient Warship Crew Uniforms
Wraith soldier skins
Wraith hive crew skins

Star Trek
Better DS9/voyager uniforms for stock crew
Better early TNG uniforms
Better late TNG uniforms
Better 'All Good Things...' future uniforms
Canon klingon uniforms
TOS Klingon uniforms
TOS Romulan uniforms
Better NX Era uniforms for stock crew

Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline CJLarkin

• Cookies: 27
Re: Something cheap and as good as Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »
My First and Primary suggestion would be GIMP. I used it before Ps and never had a problem with it.
Build a game and people will be happy for a few years. Build a community... Well, look at BC. :D
Here's to another 20 years!

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:05:37 AM »
I have GIMP too, and have played around with it. I believe it works with wacoms too, which is always handy :arms: But everyone I ask about decent free 2d software refers me to GIMP so... I'm going to say GIMP. ...GIMP.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »
GIMP is pretty good.

As for the actual uniforms, the Jaffa, Wraith Drones and Klingons would need new models and the Tau'ri would need to have symettrical patches, the same on both arms. I once managed to get a new model in, but it didn't have any textures. I really must get back to experimenting with bridges......
MUSE!!!

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:08:42 AM »
Don't you guys have enough on your plate as is? :P Talk about greedy. :lol:

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »
If its a matter of wanting them, not trying to improve skills, Ive already done the prometheus, daedalus, apollo, oddysey uniforms & can easily be adapted for stock crew, i just havent had chance to finish them off.

As for voy, early & late tng uniforms again theyve been done except they need adapting for stock crew as they originally was for the canon crew mods.

Nemesis uniforms done aswell, just need stock crew heads.

I could probably can get these done as they are easier than canon crew mods because i dont have to search for sfx :P

Its upto you ;)

lol bridges are done, lighting mapping mostly done, hell we can finish them eventually lol

~Jb06

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »
If its a matter of wanting them, not trying to improve skills, Ive already done the prometheus, daedalus, apollo, oddysey uniforms & can easily be adapted for stock crew, i just havent had chance to finish them off.

As for voy, early & late tng uniforms again theyve been done except they need adapting for stock crew as they originally was for the canon crew mods.

Nemesis uniforms done aswell, just need stock crew heads.

I could probably can get these done as they are easier than canon crew mods because i dont have to search for sfx :P

Its upto you ;)

lol bridges are done, lighting mapping mostly done, hell we can finish them eventually lol

~Jb06

In this case its a matter of both.  As you may or may not be aware my model making skills were a little rough (stank worse then dog cr*p) so I figure that since I have learned quite a bit about scripting, that I could move onto trying my hand at texturing. I also wanted to make a few planetary systems so uniform textureing will help with that aswell.

I know you did a canon Voyager crew with excellent uniform textures. I use it all the time but I also wanted DS9/Voyager uniforms for the stock crew. I wasn't satisfied with the ones from BCFiles.com so I thought might aswell try and make them myself.

The early and late TNG uniforms from BCFiles.com are not really the best either so I added them to the list.
The jaffa armour uniforms will require new models yes but I am going to approch it with a 'trial and error' system, lol.
The BC-303 Prometheus and DSC-Daedalus/Apollo/Oddysey uniforms are also some thing that I have wanted to see the stock crew in for a long time.

NX Era uniforms are pretty bland but I thought I might aswell add them to the list.
Again, these uniforms would all feature the stock crew, except for the jaffa and wraith packs. They will (if I ever get started) have new models.

The stock Klingon unfirom textures were bad. I loved the fact that Klingons were made playable through a mod but ever since I got the game, I hated the uniforms the klingons were textured with.

There arn't any TOS klingons or TOS romulan crew packs on BCFiles.com. I wanted to be first, lols.
 :D

All hopefully mutator controlled. Thats one of the 2 areas of scripting I have trouble with. That and soundpacks.

This project is not meant to be an insult towards BlackRook32. This is something I have wanted to do for a while but have lacked the appropiate tools to do it so far.

This is why I asked my Dad to get me Photoshop for christmas. He didn't, but there ya go, lols.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.