Bridge Commander Central
BC Forums => BC Modding => Topic started by: Aeries on September 24, 2010, 07:00:29 PM
-
SURPRISE!
Originally designed as a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire (and possibly Homeworld 2?) I've decided that after all this time, I should give something back to the BC community as well. This mod will incorporate many of my own designs as well as, I hope, the entirety of the cannon BSG military ships. For the sake of the BC variant of this mod, however, some ships will be removed due to space and additionally, their lack of purpose in the BC game. Unlike the SOASE variant, this mod will also incorporate more ships that I'm not able to add otherwise. The mark VII viper is one such example.
At the moment, I have the following in mind for SOASE. Red is incomplete, green is complete, and items in blue will not be added for BC:
Strike Craft:
-Fighters: Viper Mk2 (model completed, pics posted)
-Bombers: Raptor (missile-pod variant) (model completed, pics posted)
Frigates:
-Scout: Raptor (No-weapons-pod variant) (model completed, pics posted)
-Light Frigate: unnamed ship (model completed, pics posted)
-Assault Frigate: No design yet
-Siege Frigate: Planetary Bombardment Craft (PBC) (model completed, no pics posted yet)
-Anti-Strike Frigate: Colonial Defender (model completed, pics not posted yet)
-Colony Frigate: No design yet
Cruisers:
-Squadron Support Cruiser: No design yet
-Offensive Support Cruiser: No design yet
-Defensive Support Cruiser: No design yet
-Heavy Combat Cruiser: Original Battlestar Valkyrie (model completed, pics posted)
-Anti-Structure Cruiser: No design yet
-Starbase Construction Cruiser: No design yet
Capital Ships:
-Battleship: Battlestar Galactica (completed, pics posted)
-Carrier: Battlestar Tunguska (completed, pics posted)
-Mothership: No design yet
-Support Ship: Refit Battlestar Valkyrie (completed, pics posted)
-Heavy Assault Ship: Battlestar Pegasus (compelted, pics posted)
--
As you can see, not everything has hit the drawing board yet, but it only takes me a couple hours to model each ship, so I'm sure it won't be long before I conjure something up to fill each roll. I'm no mapper and my texturing skills leave a great deal to be desired, so it could be a little bit before I can begin those stages of development (Although I've already begun the texturing stage for the light frigate, as a sort of test-bed.) These models are very optimized by my standards. Not a single model exceeds or even comes remotely close to 20,000 polies. I believe the largest at the moment is 12k.
Pics of the models completed thus far:
Unnamed Light Frigate:
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render1.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render1.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render3.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render3.jpg)
Colonial Viper (Mk2)
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render1-4.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render1-4.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render2-4.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render2-4.jpg)
Colonial Raptors (both variants)
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render1SB.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render1SB.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render2SB.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render2SB.jpg)
Battlestar Galactica
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render1-6.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render1-6.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render2-6.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render2-6.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render3-4.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render3-4.jpg)
Battlestar Pegasus
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render1-3.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render1-3.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render2-3.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render2-3.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render3-3.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render3-3.jpg)
Battlestar Valkyrie
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render1-5.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render1-5.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render2-5.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render2-5.jpg)
Battlestar Valkyrie Refit
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Ship4.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Ship4.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Ship4b.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Ship4b.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Ship4a.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Ship4a.jpg)
Battlestar Tunguska
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render1-2.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render1-2.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render2-2.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render2-2.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render3-2.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render3-2.jpg)
~~Will post more later on tonight. The SOASE version of this mod may be followed on sci-fi meshes.~~
-
I just got done baking a cookie for you from the hotness of this alone. XD
-
Oddly I just saw you thread at scifimeshes today and was thinking they would be cool to see in other engines than Sins. There really isn't enough BSG content out there for my tastes, and this is looking cool.
-
so, obviously this is for Galactica 2.0 (B5 syndrome version)? *shrugs* well, as long as I can get a viper. I grew up on 1.0 (Barney syndrome version), so 2.0 seemed to B5ish to me. hope you make a kick butt package.
-
It's about time that you got SOMETHING almost BC ready. :angel
Looks great Aeries, have a cookie!
-
Very cool! It will be nice to have an entire package by one designer that encompasses the BSG section of SF. [hint]Perhaps it's also time to have a complete Battlestar CnC for a bridge mod![/hint]
-
[hint]Perhaps it's also time to have a complete Battlestar CnC for a bridge mod![/hint]
I'd be happy to model it, maybe texture, but the rest is up to whomever else wants to contribute.
Thanks for the praise, guys. :]
-
I'd be happy to model it, maybe texture, but the rest is up to whomever else wants to contribute.
Thanks for the praise, guys. :]
Count me in ;) I've just nearly completed my BSG redress of TNG Miranda bridge so I have plenty of displays and other textures ;)
-
Bottom line is that it's highly unlikely that a bridge would come to this mod. Personally I find that most retextured bridges just don't work out well for something like this mod... there's simply too much that's different.
Anyway, I've been plucking at texturing this all night. Limey's working on remapping her, but I wanted to get some practice in...
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render4-1.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render4-1.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render5.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render5.jpg)
And only now, do I remember that bump mapping isn't supported in BC... fml.
-
This is real good work dude.
Very, very nice.
Cookie
-
Thanks everyone!
Many thanks to Limey, I've finished retexturing her over the past few hours. Limey was kind enough to re-do my crap mapping. Hope you all like it. C&C appreciated!
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render4-2.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render4-2.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render5-1.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render5-1.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Render6.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Render6.jpg)
-
Oh she's hot ! I would weather her armor plates a bit more for more depth ;)
Cookied !!!
-
She's a beaut Aeries, if you can work out how to add some weathering, she'll look brilliant. :)
-
definite cookie! I was hoping someone would get around to doing another of these. Will the battlestars have missiles?
-
definite cookie! I was hoping someone would get around to doing another of these. Will the battlestars have missiles?
As surely as I have an ego.
-
Sweet! That was the one thing lacking in the old pack...
-
She's a beaut Aeries, if you can work out how to add some weathering, she'll look brilliant. :)
I've dirtied it up a bit. Is this sufficient?
(http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/th_Scout1.jpg) (http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/Aviras/Sins%20of%20our%20Fathers%20WIP/Scout1.jpg)
-
cookie again! Looking good can't wait to see 'em when they're finished.
-
didnt get into BSG (the "new" series)... but i do love what im seeing :D
-
That's a lot better, but think about the alignment of the plating, and the direction that the debris that's damaging it is coming from. Also, think about the size of the metal plates, the thickness they'd be. It's getting there, but it needs a little more refinement.
-
I will say that while I didn't like the new BSG's soap opera elements and the whole "Cylons were created by man" thing, I loved the technical designs. And these are awesome. :D
-
Also, think about the size of the metal plates, the thickness they'd be.
Not sure I see what the problem is with this. Could you please be more specific? I'll look into it for sure. :)
-
Well, to me, the "cracks" between the plates look too deep. Space craft are welded and rivetted together, the seams are generally smooth and tight. The Viper MKII, so far as I can recall, had no visible plating, where as the MKVII did, and the Raptor. Look to those for in-universe inspiration.
My point about the orientation of the plating is supported by the MKVII, too. Ships, aircraft and even trains of the real world are made of custom-shaped plating, as opposed to a grid of uniform metal tiles over the framework. The MKVII has some pretty extreme examples of streamlined hullplating, but it highlights how the shapes of the metal pieces making up a vehicle are rarely very uniform in shape.
-
Well, to me, the "cracks" between the plates look too deep. Space craft are welded and rivetted together, the seams are generally smooth and tight. The Viper MKII, so far as I can recall, had no visible plating, where as the MKVII did, and the Raptor. Look to those for in-universe inspiration.
My point about the orientation of the plating is supported by the MKVII, too. Ships, aircraft and even trains of the real world are made of custom-shaped plating, as opposed to a grid of uniform metal tiles over the framework. The MKVII has some pretty extreme examples of streamlined hullplating, but it highlights how the shapes of the metal pieces making up a vehicle are rarely very uniform in shape.
Oh, thanks for explaining, I getcha now. My plating is, as you say, hardly... I guess "fancy" would be the term. keeping in mind that some of these textures will get tweaks for the BC revision of this mod. I'll definitely add the hull plating to that list. Reason they're not actually as you suggest is for the simple reason that I'm not a very good texturer. These textures were actually the result of crude photoshopping and most of the patterns like the hull plating are actually taken from renders I did of planes that I used the greeble tool on. I guess what I'm getting at is, that I'm really not any good with 2d editors at all. In fact they're a nightmare and a half for me to work with. If I had those skills, the hull plating would be exactly as you suggest.
Perhaps I'll learn a little more as I work on these and tweak my textures a little later on. For a note, this scout is really just my guinea pig for modding both BC and SOASE.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to implement the changes... just as soon as I'm skilled enough to work it. x__x;
-
Aeries, nice work mate.. you have come a long way and these look great :yay:
I wanted to post a comment on that "Flarespire" incident getting his daddy to bully Activision but I kinda just Pissed Myself Laughing.
Sorry dude.
-
Aeries, nice work mate.. you have come a long way and these look great :yay:
I wanted to post a comment on that "Flarespire" incident getting his daddy to bully Activision but I kinda just Pissed Myself Laughing.
Sorry dude.
That wasn't too kind from your part dude, mama never told you not to laugh at anybody straight into their faces in public ?
-
That wasn't too kind from your part dude, mama never told you not to laugh at anybody straight into their faces in public ?
Oh she did.. :evil:
-
Now if you add completely different speculars than those present on renders it would look gorgeous :) so far it's the best BSG fan made ship I've seen in a while ;)
-
I strongly say leave the textures as is. There some of the base i'v seen, they look real. Keep the fath :thumbsup:
-
Update: Got a little done on a station, something akin to a heavy defense/construction/multi-purpose platform. Basically, this thing is... well, huge. Simple as.
-
just a quick question - these models will be for BC?
-
Originally designed as a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire (and possibly Homeworld 2?) I've decided that after all this time, I should give something back to the BC community as well. For the sake of the BC variant of this mod, however, some ships will be removed due to space and additionally, their lack of purpose in the BC game.
Yes.
-
just a quick question - these models will be for BC?
Yes, as Dalek pointed out. Like I said, some will be used for BC and some wont. MOST will be seen in BC.
-
i only asked because they seem very high-poly and more CGI models than BC models...
-
i only asked because they seem very high-poly and more CGI models than BC models...
Are you KIDDING? Lol. None of them come even close to exceeding 20k. :P
-
thats my point - i was originally complimenting your work by originally asking if they were going to be for BC lol :P
-
Oh. o__o Jimmy, stop confusing my little mind! D':
Edit: And thank you. :P
-
lol *cookeez*
i was trying to be sarcastic and it went right over everyone's heads lol :P
anyway... sorry spam... :P
-
For less than 20k, those look great, Aeries.
-
If my memory serves, he still needs to find someone to texture the buggers.
-
If my memory serves, he still needs to find someone to texture the buggers.
Your memory does not serve you. I'm texturing them all myself and they've turned out pretty good so far I think. Mapping is the difficult part. Limey's been mapping these for me, though. I will need scripters though.
-
I blame my old age and heavy days at work.. :hithead:
-
Update! I've been working on fresh textures for the Valkyrie, inspired by the textures I created for Pegasus. THANKFULLY, none of you aside from Limey saw the original Valkyrie textures. >.>; Anyway! Pegasus textures are slowly coming along and are nearly complete, and the Valkyrie's are nearly complete. Viper textures are as done as they'll ever be, but that render will have to wait 'till later. :P
-
WOW!
Your texturing skills have improved massively!
I have no criticism at all on the technique, only that they look a bit bright and oversaturated, though that could be the lighting or the renderer. Well done!
-
Nice work mate. :thumbsup: