Bridge Commander Central

Recreational Forums => Other Sci-Fi Discussion => Topic started by: Psyco Diver on August 07, 2010, 01:10:04 AM

Title: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: Psyco Diver on August 07, 2010, 01:10:04 AM
Anyone remember this show? I was watching a BSG video the other day and reminded me of it, so I looked it up on Youtube and they seem to have most of the episodes there. Pretty good show, its a shame it was canceled, I don't remember how it ended really
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: Locke on August 07, 2010, 05:10:08 AM
From what I recall (haven't seen it in many years) the main issue I had with it was the focus was not as much on the war as it was on the intrigue of what was happening behind the scenes.  There is a time and place for things like that in a series (B5 did it well, Trek not so much, and BSG exactly right), but S:AaB didn't seem to take the show anywhere before they started inserting scenarios that were just hyped-up versions of a soap opera.

Still, the Chigs were kinda cool, the Hammerheads were incredible  :thumbsup: and the acting was pretty good (I think . . .).  I give it about a 6/10 for sci-fi, 8/10 for TV.
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: tiqhud on August 07, 2010, 08:08:54 AM
I remember, the ships were good.
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: Psyco Diver on August 07, 2010, 01:03:54 PM
Given where CGI was at in the mid 90s when it came out, the battles were pretty good to me and the ships seemed more realistic than say B5, which to me personally always seemed to like for CG to me untill the final season or 2. When I watched it I was young so I don't remember much but the battles and what not, seems someone uploaded all the episodes to youtube the more I check it out so I guess I'll have to watch it
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: 1DeadlySAMURAI on August 07, 2010, 09:51:40 PM
Oh yeah. I have the episodes on my pc so I watch it every now and then.
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: ACES_HIGH on August 08, 2010, 12:22:39 AM
yeah, that was a cool show, it's too bad it was cancelled, I think if it had been renewed, it would have done alot better, the storylines would have settled a bit.
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: tiqhud on August 09, 2010, 08:38:15 AM
I saw a DVD set at FYE [for your entertainment] of Space Above-.
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: ACES_HIGH on August 10, 2010, 01:11:20 AM
for such a short run, it had alot of episodes that really made you think
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: Kophjaeger on August 10, 2010, 04:58:23 AM
I'm over on the Legacy side of the fence. I loved the desperate note of the show (like BSG). I have an upcoming chig fleet release on FF if anybody wants to port them over.
Title: Re: Space: Above and Beyond
Post by: Psyco Diver on August 10, 2010, 01:10:23 PM
I'm over on the Legacy side of the fence. I loved the desperate note of the show (like BSG). I have an upcoming chig fleet release on FF if anybody wants to port them over.

That would be sooooo cool