Bridge Commander Central

Recreational Forums => Other Sci-Fi Discussion => Topic started by: JimmyB76 on November 03, 2009, 05:38:14 PM

Title: V
Post by: JimmyB76 on November 03, 2009, 05:38:14 PM
so the premier of the remake (a remake??  in this day and age?  impossible!  lol :P) of V is on tonight...
just wondering if anyone is planning on viewing it or watching the series?  i remember the original, back in 1983 when i was young; and im wondering if this one would be any good or even slightly close to the original...  ill give it a shot; but as with every remake (all millions of them in the last decade) im sure it will likely be all flash and no substance...
then again, people said the same would be of BSG and IMO that goes down as the best series ever made...
who knows; it might turn out ok...  i guess we'll see...  anyone else planning on tuning in?
Title: Re: V
Post by: Kirk on November 03, 2009, 05:47:42 PM
I'll either see this or go watch a band, not sure which.
Title: Re: V
Post by: Daystar70 on November 03, 2009, 08:20:53 PM
I heard it was awesome from reliable sources. at last big con, they let people preview the pilot and it was almost unkiversal praise,i'm looking forward to it.
Title: Re: V
Post by: 1DeadlySAMURAI on November 03, 2009, 09:12:14 PM
I'll try it on for size. But I have very low expectations of it so it would have to be pretty damn good if I'm Gonna continue watching it.
Title: Re: V
Post by: Phaser on November 03, 2009, 09:57:44 PM
WARNING: SPOILERS

Well, I watched it.  I hadn't seen the original series, so I didn't know exactly what to expect.  And while the series has some promise, I was surprised by how quickly it was revealed that the Visitors aren't good guys.  I could tell from the trailers that we (the viewers) were supposed to have some mistrust of them, but I thought the writers would keep the Visitor's intentions more ambiguous, at least for the first couple episodes.  I did not expect their true intentions to become clear so quickly!  I must say, I was very disappointed by that.  I think the show would have been much more engaging had they kept it ambiguous.

Still, I'll watch the next episode to see where it goes.  But that episode could make or break the series for me.

Does anyone who saw the original series have any thoughts on this show?  (But please, if you're going to say something that could spoil the series, clearly say so, as some of us never saw the original)
Title: Re: V
Post by: tiqhud on November 04, 2009, 08:09:19 AM
WARNING SPOILERS

I watched and everything that took an episode or two, in the original, to happen has happened in this one episode. [but I'll still watch] And many of the characters are different, like the news reporter to interview the Vs, in the original was female.[ still not a bad recreation]
Title: Re: V
Post by: Lionus on November 04, 2009, 12:10:49 PM
how many mices were killed in the first episode?  ;)
Title: Re: V
Post by: Billz on November 05, 2009, 06:10:52 PM
how many mices were killed in the first episode?  ;)

Mices?
Title: Re: V
Post by: Kirk on November 05, 2009, 07:26:25 PM
I really, really wish Alan Tudyk hadn't been a visitor. I really wanted to see him act again. :( I miss Firefly.
Title: Re: V
Post by: Daystar70 on November 15, 2009, 09:29:58 PM
I'm taking V off my watch list. I was excited but, i dunno, maybe we have become spoiled by now in terms of quality sci fi, but i can't get into this new version as open minded as i am. The first episode was so dull and bland..it has potential but it is off to a slow start. I do like the "style" of the new portrayal of the Visitors but the first episode went way to fast at establishing them into our lives and we never saw the POV of the president, the armed forces, it just felt like it fell short of credibility because they focused to much on scott wolf's reporter for all the news stuff. PROS: the new Diana or 'Anna" is sexy and works for me. The terrorist cells/FBI angles in modernising V.works. CONS : The main character woman FBI agent's son and his crap..i wanna flip channels when i see any scenes with him.
Title: Re: V
Post by: Phaser on November 22, 2009, 03:40:31 PM
I definitely have to agree with you on that, Daystar70.  To me, the teenager seems to be a shallow attempt to get younger viewers watching, a la "Look!  It's a teenager with troubles, just like you!"  Lame.  But it looks like he might end up playing an important role in the series after all.  We'll see.
Title: Re: V
Post by: JimmyB76 on November 22, 2009, 04:50:37 PM
ya i dont think ill be watching this one either...  i had high hopes for it, but it had a number of really cheesy elements, and a few things that were a bit too obvious even if for dramatic purposes...
ah well...