Bridge Commander Central

Recreational Forums => Other Sci-Fi Discussion => Topic started by: Nebula on July 08, 2009, 10:08:24 AM

Title: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 08, 2009, 10:08:24 AM
heh....

Well all of us who watch the "Sci-Fi Channel" will now have to start getting used to calling it the "SyFy Channel"
The name change was for them to get something unique to own. >.>
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 08, 2009, 10:15:32 AM
oh ffs how tacky lol
(the more proper) Sci-Fi Channel has just lost a few respect points from me...
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: ECGadget on July 08, 2009, 04:30:03 PM
why? I've never seen it, soo...
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Phaser on July 10, 2009, 11:32:08 PM
'Syfy'

 :hurr

EDIT: Damnit, why was mythread combined with Neb's?  Mine came first.  :arms:
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: FarShot on July 11, 2009, 12:04:50 AM
I just watched the "Eureka" marathon, and I must say the commercial breaks were entertaining.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Aeries on July 11, 2009, 01:20:17 AM
'Syfy'

F*ck that sh*t. Period.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Joshmaul on July 11, 2009, 01:30:18 AM
'Syfy'

F*ck that sh*t. Period.

Seconded. I've brought this up on a few forums I'm a part of, and the consensus is that they changed the name from Sci-Fi in order to justify the fact that there's...really hardly any sci-fi on this channel anymore. Ghost hunter shows (complete BS) and ECW. I mean, come on - wrestling on the Sci-Fi Channel?
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Aeries on July 11, 2009, 01:31:52 AM
Wrestling on the Sci-Fi Channel?

EPIC FAIL.  :arms:
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 11, 2009, 01:39:44 AM
well Wrestling is fiction :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: 1DeadlySAMURAI on July 11, 2009, 05:10:32 AM
Disgusting name.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Dawg81 on July 11, 2009, 11:00:05 AM
i was wondering why sci-fi is now sy-fy so childish
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Senator on July 11, 2009, 04:22:20 PM
Perhaps there is an "i" shortage because of the recession?
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Dalek on July 11, 2009, 04:35:15 PM
Yeah, cos its all going into iPods and iPhones and iPlayers and every other rip off beginning with i! :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Billz on July 11, 2009, 09:46:08 PM
Will this affect Sci-FI UK?

The only sci-fi show left on there is TOS (it'll get moved to Virgin 1 sooner or later, just you wait!). Everything else is not worth watching so it wouldn't bother me one bit.

SG-1, Atlantis, BSG, A Town Called Eureka, LOST, TNG, VOY, DS9, ENT, Chuck and TSCC are all shown on either Sky 1, Sky 2 or Virgin 1 so I'm set.

Basically, they can take Sci-Fi UK and shove it up their collective a**es!

(Again, I want TOS on Virgin 1. They've got everything else Trek so its only a matter of time)
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Ryles on July 12, 2009, 03:28:17 AM
The official explanation for the name change is that its "cooler," "unique," and... drum roll please: "is actually this is how you?d text it.?
Source: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/sci_fi_channel_aims_to_shed_ge.php  :roll:


Though to be quite honest... I always just texted it as Scifi. However, with the cancellation of Atlantis and the ending of BSG, I have no reason at all to text anything related to the network to anyone anymore. Which is all well and good considering that I stopped actually watching it around the time I noticed they were airing pro wrestling and movies/shows that weren't in any way, shape, or form science fiction.  :arms:

Considering this is off topic.. maybe we need a new thread just ranting about this? lol.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: majormagna on July 12, 2009, 07:16:40 AM
 Well, not EVERY Trek series, but yeah I'd love TOS-R on Virgin 1 very soon.

I never watch Sci-Fi channel any more... except the odd TOS episode.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Dalek on July 12, 2009, 08:07:08 AM
Virgin are quite annoying with there showings though...they show the first 5 season of Voyager, say it'll come back in June except when it does, its a completely different time table and they're showing it from season 3!

So I'm watching and recording the X Files instead. :)
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Trim on July 12, 2009, 09:52:38 AM
Meh, I don't care what they call it, I quit watching scifi when BSG ended. 
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Tuskin38 on July 15, 2009, 11:26:08 AM
I'm watching it for Eureka.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 15, 2009, 11:54:10 AM
Meh, I don't care what they call it, I quit watching scifi when BSG ended. 
ya same here...
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 15, 2009, 12:00:02 PM
I'm watching it for Eureka.

when I remember I do as well... lol

I'm waiting to see how they handle SGU
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Tuskin38 on July 15, 2009, 02:43:30 PM
I'm watching it for Eureka.

when I remember I do as well... lol

I'm waiting to see how they handle SGU

Oh yeah, I'll be watching it for SGU as well.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Aeries on July 15, 2009, 02:55:52 PM
SGU

Who...? What...? Huh...?
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 15, 2009, 02:57:23 PM
Star Gate Universe.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Aeries on July 15, 2009, 03:03:01 PM
Oh...
*goes to look this up*
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 15, 2009, 03:04:42 PM
just look in the star gate discussion thread.... the last few pages have been about it. 
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 15, 2009, 07:15:02 PM
Meh, I just watch the TNG Re-Runs, Ghost Hunters (the original), and Warehouse 13.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 15, 2009, 07:22:41 PM
Ghost Hunters (the original) is a good show...

I wonder when the next season starts..
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 15, 2009, 07:27:00 PM
Ghost Hunters (the original) is a good show...

I wonder when the next season starts..

I don't know, but it's gotten me wanting to learn how to investigate lol.  I'm considering joining one of their family investigative branches here in NC.

I don't really care too much for GHI though...They're too ready to say "Yah this is haunted"
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Ryles on July 15, 2009, 09:58:49 PM
I know for a fact that the "International" version of Ghost Hunters like to exaggerate the actual locations of some of its shows. For example, they stated that a condemned military hospital they filmed in was in France.

The hospital in question was infact located in Los Alamitos, California.

The haunting, however, was quite real.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Psyco Diver on July 16, 2009, 01:25:27 AM
I'm still watching it for Eureka, I don't know about SGU yet, I didn't get into SGA like I did for the original SG. I'm honestly expecting it to suck really, so anything better than that will make me happy. Alot of their new shows their making to replace, SG, SGA, and BSG are not looking good. I'm honestly starting to already get into Warehouse 13, looks promising, I hope it just doesn't turn into a show I'm really interested into that gets canceled. They really need to bring back Firefly. Oh and I'm watching because the anime mondays, I haven't watched anime in the last few years and its nice to get back into
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 16, 2009, 01:39:52 AM
'Syfy'
 :hurr
I quit watching scifi when BSG ended. 
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/jimmyb76/random/yeahthat.gif)
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 16, 2009, 10:12:06 AM
you all ready said that the previous page :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 16, 2009, 11:19:49 AM
i was merely further reiterating my point :arms:
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 16, 2009, 05:40:31 PM
i was merely further reiterating my point :arms:

AKA He wants us all to hate it :P *ducks*

Caught GHI Last night though...meh.  I still prefer the TAPS Team..
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: WileyCoyote on July 16, 2009, 05:49:01 PM
Also, what's the deal with wrestling on SciFi (SyFy)? I think they were originally using Taro cards for their pilot show to make it SciFi-ish.........but wrestling?
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 16, 2009, 05:54:22 PM
Also, what's the deal with wrestling on SciFi (SyFy)? I think they were originally using Taro cards for their pilot show to make it SciFi-ish.........but wrestling?

That's what I was wondering...they couldn't get A&E or another cable company to do it I guess.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 16, 2009, 05:57:01 PM
i was merely further reiterating my point :arms:

AKA He wants us all to hate it :P *ducks*

Caught GHI Last night though...meh.  I still prefer the TAPS Team..

Indeed TAPS is much better. :)
That and they are based in Rhode Island... XD
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 16, 2009, 09:16:29 PM
i was merely further reiterating my point :arms:

AKA He wants us all to hate it :P *ducks*

Caught GHI Last night though...meh.  I still prefer the TAPS Team..

Indeed TAPS is much better. :)
That and they are based in Rhode Island... XD

Yeah, but that doesn't mean Jimmy will convert :P.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 17, 2009, 07:30:46 AM
not familiar with that one at all...  is that one of those ghost hunter shows?
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 17, 2009, 09:26:51 AM
yup
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 17, 2009, 09:50:14 AM
aah...  those shows are pretty lame anyway :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 17, 2009, 09:53:30 AM
Not TAPS, it's quite cool...

It's not auto OMG Ghosts are here it's haunted...
They do everything they can to disprove the haunting.  
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 18, 2009, 02:45:13 AM
Not TAPS, it's quite cool...

It's not auto OMG Ghosts are here it's haunted...
They do everything they can to disprove the haunting.  

Nebs right, They try to debunk what they can, and they're not entirely ready to say "This place is haunted".  Like for example, Jason and Grant (the two lead investigators) are plumbers (Roto Rooter!) so they automatically check pipes and lines to see if they're loose to explain "footsteps" or "Bangs."  it's actually pretty cool.  And there's two guys who obviously don't take themselves seriously, Steve Gonsalves and Dave Tango.  Then there's Kris Williams (Yum).
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 18, 2009, 02:03:28 PM
meh, i dunno i find all those ghosts shows to be rather boring lol
im just not into the whole "supernatural" thing, i just dont buy it :P ("i aint 'fraid of no ghosts!")
altho if it is based out of Rhode Island, maybe i should give the show a try...  most shows/movies based out of Rhode Island are usually humorous lol :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Tuskin38 on July 18, 2009, 05:45:27 PM
Like Family Guy? Sorry offtopic lol.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 19, 2009, 01:46:51 AM
ya one of those ftw  :mrgreen:
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Trim on July 19, 2009, 12:44:32 PM
Well, since the scifi channel is doing it.......  :funny
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 19, 2009, 01:30:02 PM
O.o :lol:
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 19, 2009, 09:24:22 PM
Oh noes!!!! :lol:
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Kirk on July 19, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
DO IT!
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Trim on July 20, 2009, 11:39:44 PM
I don't think Jimmy would be very pleased with that.   :mrgreen:
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Nebula on July 21, 2009, 12:06:46 AM
no he wouldn't lol
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: JimmyB76 on July 21, 2009, 08:57:02 AM
this forum shall not be renamed :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 22, 2009, 12:07:00 AM
this forum shall not be renamed :P

Heh, Jimmy has sense...no one wants a lawsuit :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Tuskin38 on July 22, 2009, 09:26:54 AM
Yeah, Airlock Alpha (formally SyFy Portal) sold their name to Sci-fi so they could use it. (I believe that was it..)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airlock_Alpha

Mind you thats wiki so it could be false.
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Trim on July 22, 2009, 01:35:58 PM
I think its stupid for them to change it in the first place but thats just me. 
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: eclipse74569 on July 22, 2009, 04:02:22 PM
I think its stupid for them to change it in the first place but thats just me. 

Trim I think everyone feels the same :P
Title: Re: 'Sci-Fi' to 'SyFy'
Post by: Phaser on July 25, 2009, 04:04:41 PM
I think its stupid for them to change it in the first place but thats just me. 

Trim I think everyone feels the same :P
Yep.