Author Topic: Omega Class Destroyer sfx issues  (Read 807 times)

Offline STxB52002

• Cookies: 0
  • Faith Manages
Omega Class Destroyer sfx issues
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
Hello. The problem is that the sfx weapons sounds don't seem to work at all for the ship in question, whenever I use it in BC.

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Omega_Class_Destroyer;41199x#591004

At first I though the sfx files themselves didn't worked, so I tested them via Winamp, and they worked. Then I used Model Property Editor to see if the ship's hardpoint was made to use the sfx sounds, and it is. I reinstalled the whole ship; nothing changed. I even turned off both voice and music, leaving only the sounds GFX on at its highest volume, to test if any sounds played when I use the Omega's weapon, but there was only silence, minus the destruction of the target sfx.

My operating system isWindows XP Service Pack 3. I used the Omega ship on BC v1.1 with the KM 1.0, the 2010 update. This is the only ship that I've ever had this problem with. Can you guys please help me?
"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope, that there can always be new beginnings. Even for people like us."

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
Re: Omega Class Destroyer sfx issues
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »
Does the ship have sound plugins?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline STxB52002

• Faith Manages
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Does the ship have sound plugins?

Forgive me, but I don't know where I could locate the sound plugins. Would they be located in the scripts/custom/autoload folder? That is one folder that the ship installer didn't place in my BC folder.
"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope, that there can always be new beginnings. Even for people like us."

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »
Forgive me, but I don't know where I could locate the sound plugins. Would they be located in the scripts/custom/autoload folder? That is one folder that the ship installer didn't place in my BC folder.

That is indeed where they should be. From this I'd say that the ship does not have a sound plugin. You can create one using BCUT. Are you familiar with the process?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline STxB52002

• Faith Manages
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »
I have BCUT, but this is the first time I used the Sound Plugin Creator. I was able to get the EA_Torp1 sound to work, but not the phaser and pulse sounds, even though I made a sound plugin for each one. I followed the BCUT manuel to the letter, but I still can't get the phaser and pulse sounds to work in the game. Could the sound files be corrupt somehow?

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
Which the reason why I asked if you were familiar with the process. Unfortunately you need to input correct data into the sound plugin.

Let's say I've got a sound file called "sound.mp3" located in the sfx folder. In the torpedo projectile file I've got
Code: [Select]
def GetLaunchSound():
return("soundId")
Simply creating the sound plugin using BCUT will not work since BCUT can't possibly know what it specified sound Id for the projectile in the projectile file (Sound Name in BCUT).

So you need to open projectile files and look for the launch sound and use that as the sound name in BCUT for projectile sounds (Other sounds) and for phaser sounds you also need to do the same thing.

HP sound Id should be something like pointed out below. BCUT uses a sound filename as the Id since it makes sure that it will be unique.
SetFireSound("Some Phaser")

Sound Name is actually a unique ID by which the game knows what to look for and where to find.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline STxB52002

• Faith Manages
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
No luck. I still can't get the phaser and pulse sounds to work. I check all the files associated with the Omega in the projectiles folder. I used the lauch sound for the sound name in BCUT for each weapon. I still can only get the fusion missle sound to work. I think the phaser and pulse sound files are corrupted. How can I check if it's the files are corrupted? The sound files worked fine when I tested them with Winamp and Windows Media Player.

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
Post the torpedo files here and the HP and the sound plugins you created.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline STxB52002

• Faith Manages
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
Here they are. The OCD_Pulse sound plugin is posted below because the forum wouldn't allow me to attach any more files:

#####  Created by:
#####  Bridge Commander Universal Tool

import App
import Foundation

Foundation.SoundDef("sfx/Weapons/OCD_Pulse.wav", "OCD_Pulse", 1)

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
Set
SetFireSound("OCD_Pulse")

to

SetFireSound("null")

And attempt to re-encode the files just incase.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline STxB52002

• Faith Manages
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 11:28:38 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.

I tried your last suggestion, but the pulse sounds still didn't work. However, the problem has been solved. Just today, I checked the sound files themeselves in depth. I found that the phaser and pulse wav files were in stereo format, not mono. So I used Audacity (a free audio editing software) to convert those files to mono. Then i recreated the sound plugins using the mono wav files. Now the Omega's weapon sounds work perfectly.

Thank you, USS Sovereign, for helping me with this problem. I wouldn't have thought of creating sound plugins for this ship.  :thumbsup:

Offline Defiant

• Cookies: 1105
    • BC: Kobayashi Maru
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »
Since I've this ship in my install:

Copy http://defiant.homedns.org/~erik/STBC/misc/b5.py to scripts/Custom/Autoload.