Author Topic: Textures not showing up in MPE  (Read 858 times)

Offline Surma92

• We get custom titles here?
  • Cookies: 0
Textures not showing up in MPE
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »
I have exported a model from ms3d, created a folder in data/models/ships and put the textures in folders named high, medium and low in the same folder, but the model is white in the model property editor. What have i missed?

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
Re: Textures not showing up in MPE
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:20:05 AM »
Ok 2 things to check.

1st look at the MPE options and make sure under textures \high is typed in.

2nd do the textures follow the BC rule and are in the correct size format (512 x 512, 1024 x 1024 etc...)
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
also, make sure there is a nif file in the High folder itself (if there is a high folder), even if you have to copy it in...  alot of times there is no nif file (or copy of) in the High folder itself and thats why the model is white...

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
umm Jimmy... no... the nif file doesn't need to be in the high folder itself. btw he is talking about the MPE and that has always had the white hull error (when resizing windows) & also what baz said.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:38 AM »
TIP: load you NIF in MPE, then BEFORE you load a Hardpoint file, expand the image [window] to where you wish, then load you HP.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
umm Jimmy... no... the nif file doesn't need to be in the high folder itself. btw he is talking about the MPE and that has always had the white hull error (when resizing windows) & also what baz said.
yes this is true that sometimes resizing windows does turn the ships white - but believe me when i say that having a copy of the nif file in the high folder does work - i have done it myself on ships showing up white and it does work in that the textures will show up then...

Offline Surma92

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
1. The tgas were the wrong dimensions. That has been taken care of.

2. <-the number of problems i now have. Fist of, for some reason now nothing happens when i press the load button :picardfacepalm:. The edges of the window flashes, but thats all. The other is that even though previously stated issue the nif was still in the recent list under load, but the model is still white.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
@ Jimmy huh... I have never needed to do that... so that is very odd to me.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »
trust me - it works lol  i used to get many ships showing up as white in MPE, but copying the nif and sticking it in the high folder works for me just fine when that happens :)  it is a tip i learned from Laurelin back in 2004 lol

ships turning white when resizing, thats still a bug that occurs here and there...  i find that resizing the window after loading the model, and before loading the hp, helps sometimes with that...

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:32:49 AM »
You probably didn't setup the texture paths correctly. If MPE can't find textures it looks for them in the same folder as the model file. Copying the textures from High  to the folder with the nif works as well.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »

As I mentioned here. I had white ships too till I did this.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
i'll remember that tip about setting the "where to look" in MPE's options.  i only get that if i look at ships that have more than one set if TGA's.

you can get away with not whiting the ship out if you don't expand the window downwards, I've found.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline teleguy

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »

Or just run the reg file that comes with MPE.

Offline Digital_Clarity

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »
To elaborate on Teleguy's statement, there should be no need to manually setup the texture path.
SDK Model Property Editor Comes with a registry entry that adds the model texture path for you in MPE.

I'm not going to disagree with Jimmy's suggestion b/c I have never tried it, however I have never had a
need to do that since I've never had an error with MPE loading textures after applying the registry entry.

Offline Surma92

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:39 AM »
Solved the weird opening problem.

When i tried to troubleshoot the texture problem i set the model path myself, using quotation marks. Now i checked the registry entries and ModelDirectory had the data "path\to\model\"\ meaning it had one backslash too many. I removed the data and now atleast that works...

Putting the textures in the same folder worked.

Edit: Moar probs!
I have some transparent pixels on the textures. These are black, and should not be that. Does STBC support this? If so, how can i enable transparency?

Offline teleguy

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
By default BC uses the alpha channel as a glow map however you can create transparent objects with the help of Nifskope.
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,7161.0.html