Author Topic: My own great experiment....  (Read 11972 times)

Offline Centurus

• If you're reading this, you're missing out on something better.
  • Cookies: 68
  • BOW BEFORE THE POWER OF MY RUBBER CHICKENS!!!
My own great experiment....
« on: June 11, 2010, 07:23:20 AM »

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: My own great experiment....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:15:09 AM »
This lady has some curves. :D +1 cookie

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:25:54 AM »
We always like new new connies  :D
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »
it seems everyone is doing Constitution Class ships these days...  why is that?
im not trying to sound like a jerk, i know it sounds rude and i apologize for that, but i am genuinely curious; is it some sort of one-up type thing?  i dont recall ever a time in BC's history where many people (pretty much every modder) were all doing the same ships or era... 
(except the Galaxy-Class rage some years back) but i am curious why everyone all of a sudden now are doing the same things?  is it to do better than the one just released by someone else?  or is there a new-found genuine love of the Constitution Class and/or TMP/TOS/JJ-era?

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:20:40 AM »
it seems everyone is doing Constitution Class ships these days...

And we can never have enough. :D

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:31:19 AM »
well, some modders could always do Constellations, Cheyennes, Prommies....  :angel
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:38:39 AM »
TMP ENterprise class was always my fav. Looking good so far. Cookie. :thumbsup:

Like jimmy was saying, i would to see 24th or 25th centry ship.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
Well I see it this way, I am an old school trekkie and prefer the 23rd Century and why I have built 5 (yes 5) differenet JJprises is that my skills have gotten better I see how bad the old one was. I am not a great fan of the 24th Century ships they just seem to be over detailed.

As for the TMP connie, it has a special place in most trekkies hearts so it is an honour to be able to try and do her justice.

I have two of my own on the go at the moment (tmp2 and jjrefit2). but unless Andrew Probert shows up and makes the ultimate version of the ship then we will have plenty of connies to choose from.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
dont get me wrong - i am all for, and really truly deeply appreciate, anything any modder does for the community...  while im not personally much a fan of TOS, TMP, JJ-era, or Ent-era ships or anything around then and may not be inclined to include any of those sorts of things in my own personal install, i am very grateful modders are still adding to the life of BC even after all this time...  and clearly there are alot of people who really like those eras and ships; to each his own... and of course modders should do what they love personally and want in their own personal installs and share with everyone else - thats what modding is all about...

i ask the question because years ago, when BCU was still relatively new, it did occur where people would only mod for the sole reason to outshine the previous modder and thats not a very cool thing, IMO...  someone would release something and then someone would do the same exact thing right after that (or start their own project right immediately after the other one started) only to make themselves look better than that other person; it was a sort of "competition" and that style of modding is done for all the wrong reasons, and slowly tension started building in the community...

i just was getting nervous that trend was starting up again, even if people werent aware of it, or aware they might be doing it  lol

that being said, i must admit that it would be cool to see modders going off in different directions, rather than all focus on one thing or one era...  personally, my install is geared to a TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Nemesis (or shortly after Nemesis) eras and it would be nice to see talented people working on those eras as well for variety; seems like DJ is the only one (and of course Wileys Excelsior pack and a few others, but not much other than that)  lol :P

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
I don't think it is to outshine mostly, I think its because someone is taking a new look at it, and another modder says "I have a different idea" or "I would like it better if blah-blah was different" I think its down to personal taste

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »
Jimmy might be onto something, though...even I'VE been connie tweaking today.  no model modification, but a TOS style connie retrofitted with a modern Warp Core, phasers and Torpedoes.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »
Nice work mate  :thumbsup:

Jimmy quite right on not enough TNG ships at the mo.. but i am sure they are coming  ;)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
You've got my attention..... :D

just Hardpoint and minor texture tweaks.  I'm trying it out on Anduril's connie, first.  to see how it's gonna look, mostly.  i did a quick rebadge and it's now the "USS John Lennon NCC 17016"
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline markeno

• aka Muldrf
  • Cookies: 0
    • UU
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
Sounds like this ship might be pretty interesting as she grows up.

---

I'd say the Connie Rage is certainly in part due to XI. For the JJ Connie, a spark of honoring the original Connie designs, and it being the ongoing forward inspiration as far as the big screen.  I'm sure there will be plenty of new TNG designs coming off the drawing boards down the road though.  Competition in "making the best" isn't good, even if it doesn't exist and one party thinks it does, so it is probably for the best to air such a concern to ensure the air is clear.

---

Keep up the great work on your Experiment here :)
aka Muldrf

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
I'd say the Connie Rage is certainly in part due to XI. For the JJ Connie, a spark of honoring the original Connie designs, and it being the ongoing forward inspiration as far as the big screen.  I'm sure there will be plenty of new TNG designs coming off the drawing boards down the road though.  Competition in "making the best" isn't good, even if it doesn't exist and one party thinks it does, so it is probably for the best to air such a concern to ensure the air is clear.
I think I'm done with Connies for the time being. :)
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
*wears rubber chicken proof armor* The JJPrise IS honoring the TOS and TMP designs(though it favors the latter).  Saucer, check; more or less straight engine pylons, check; round nacelles, check; secondary hull attached to saucer with a graceful neck, check; physical deflector dish, check.  Has all the elements, just made sleeker and arranged slightly different.  :P  And from someone who has the art book, rest assured...it could have been MUCH MUCH WORSE.  Some of the designs that they considered would've been too "futuristic" in the 24th century, much less the 23rd.

Anyways, back to this.  It's good that someone's taking a fresh look at the Connie resurrection class.  Can't wait to see her completed!  I always thought that the Connie refit kinda got shafted since the Excelsior, Miranda, and Oberth classes continued to be used well into the 24th Century.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
I would agree mate.. the neck and torps need reshaping to match the quality of the hull  :thumbsup: take ur time dont rush it  ;)

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
I always thought that the Connie refit kinda got shafted since the Excelsior, Miranda, and Oberth classes continued to be used well into the 24th Century.

It could be reasonable to assume that there are a few still in service, but that they've just never had the good fortune to appear on screen with the later hero ships (with the exception of the Wolf 359 Starship graveyard). I believe the USS Republic, the academy training ship that never leaves the Sol system, is a connie. Not sure if it's a refit, though.

Or perhaps Starfleet discontinued the line because Connies were always getting the snot kicked out of them (The Enterprise was crippled pretty much every time she fought in the TMP movies, and the Yorktown had to be scrapped and recommissioned as the Enterprise A after the whale probe), the class had been superceded by the Excelsior class, and the Miranda fulfilled a different role in the fleet, and remained in production.

It seems possible, in addition, that the TMP refit of the Enterprise and the Yorktown (correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the two known connie refits, right?) was made possible by the ease with which the miranda class could be mass produced, and components from that class were retrofitted onto the TOS spaceframe.

Just throwing out ideas here.

I've noticed the popularity of connie models here over the last year. I do think XI has a lot to do with it. I have my own connie overload going on around my desk. There's a TOSserprise hovering over my tower case, a JJprise on the chest of drawers to the right, and a TWOKerprise to my left. And holy hell it's gorgeous.

Anyway, I await further exploration of your design ideas, I like what you've done with the secondary hull - the curved cut-ins on either side of the deflector give it a kind of refined, almost art deco vibe.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
Well my two favorite Trek ships have always been the Galaxy Class and the TMP connie. YOu can never have too many of either IMO.
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »
Of course the real reason you never see a Galaxy, Connie, or a Sovvie on screen together is because hollywood producers think their audiences are morons and will get too confused if there is more than one hero ship on the screen at once.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!