Author Topic: n00b needs Help  (Read 866 times)

Offline StarFury221

• Cookies: 0
n00b needs Help
« on: April 08, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »
I can't get a ship mod to install correctly, I think it might be the TGL file. Where exactly do they go?

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
Re: n00b needs Help
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »
Please post a link to the mod.

Offline StarFury221

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Achilles_Class;10338
And, yes I tried to use BCMP, but couldn't figure it out.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
you should avoid BCMP as it is old, outdated, and somewhat buggy...  (even tho the readme suggests it, but it is an old ship as well)
when trying to install a new ship, and it doesnt show up ingame, you need to make a plugin for it...
you should try using BCUT (Bridge Commander Universal Tool) v1.4 for that instead - it was just released on BCFiles...

Offline StarFury221

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »
I tried that, but I can't figure how to activate the plugin.

Offline StarFury221

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
What I mean to say is, is there a specific place that you would normally put tgl files for ships?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »
You have to merge it with the ships tgl.

BCUT does that for you (if memory serves), but the ship should still work without it, you will just get a couple of ??? on the screen when you use it (instead of the description/name).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:40:40 PM »
You have to merge it with the ships tgl.

BCUT does that for you (if memory serves), but the ship should still work without it, you will just get a couple of ??? on the screen when you use it (instead of the description/name).

IIRC Neither BCMP/BCMI did automatically patch the ships.tgl during ship installation. Process had to be triggered manually. I think only BCMP could patch ships.tgl, and didn't that cause corrupt ships.tgl (under certain conditions  :?)?

I do recall a few problems regarding that, I just cannot remember which.

In fact didn't BCMI just extract the tgls's in the bcmod and that's it, the patching never was implemented?

While on subject, which of these had zero-byte file problems in BCMod packages?

I did write TGL editor for BCUT, even made it to attempt to fix and read those corrupt tgls. But still it has to be manually added like in BCMP (additionally patched). All of the focus on BCUT based descriptions went into them actually being placed in the ships plugin and easily editable.

With all the work which went on plugin based descriptions I should really implement a converter so that people can point to the tgl and patch the ships plugin so that the data is added in it.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline StarFury221

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
so how do i install it manually since so far the tools are confusing the hell out of me.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
Since I discourage people from editing ships.tgl, I believe it's better that they are in the plugin itself lol

I'll guide you through converting the tgl description data to the ships plugin.

I'm assuming you already copied data, scripts and sfx folders to the game and installed the ship itself.

I'm also assuming you already installed BCUT and have associated BCUT with tgl files.

Having done that.

This is a full guide BTW.

1. Start up BCUT and go to options section, located under navigation menu

2. Under options section click on the automatic button (to make sure the tool is pointed towards the game). It does auto configure but you might have said no to its prompt at the firt run, so we're just making sure.

3. Switch to Foundation by clicking on the button under nav menu

4. Click Install QB Description Fix and follow the installers instructions

5. Locate the tgl which came with the mod on your computer and double click it, BCUT should load the tgl automatically.

6. It could have about 2-3 entries in the tgl. Locate the one which contains Description keyword in the ID column (in this case it could be USSLennox Description). And simply double click on the entry assuming its USSLennox Description.

7. A new window will open up, Ignore the ID and SFX just copy the contents in the big textbox which is your ship description.

8. In BCUT under navigation menu click on the BCSMC. Switch immediately to Plugin Editor tab.

9. Click load button and in the browse dialog load... the mod description says the ship is called USSLennox. So just select USSLennox.py

10. Click on the Edit Ship Description

11. Paste the contents in the big textbox

12. Click on Apply Changes

13. Click on Save Data

By doing this you won't get ??? anywhere.

And I really gotta add a converter to the next version of BCUT to prevent people from doing this manually. Just point and click to the tgl and the description is converted.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline StarFury221

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:42 AM »
Thank you very much. I appreciate all the help.