Author Topic: UFOP Ares class Battleship concept work....  (Read 8527 times)

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
UFOP Ares class Battleship concept work....
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:47:56 PM »
Ok, this redo has ALOT to do with DJs brilliant eye for feds. He has certain design cues that, when applied to the idea I had seemed to work much better than what I had before. So I give him most of the credit for this redo, since it is his work that inspired the changes.

That said, it still has a long way to go, and I need to know what you guys think at this point. This is a rough mesh still, still a sep but the sep has been changed dramatically, and other major changes to make the design flow better.

This ship is a beefy battleship. Im trying to avoid the look of speed, so I am making it more stocky compared to a Sov. That means shorter thicker nacelles that are a bit more boxy, as well as a squarish body and thick saucer....all to indicate much higher levels of armor.

The deflector was rebuilt based on quite a few of DJs designs, going with a flattish oval dual configuration....but I extended that to the engineering section as well, eventually shaping it out of the main hull almost as a separate pod.

I also removed the huge warp vents on the saucer, replacing them with temporarily crude "defiant-like" ports for a more embedded look. Adding a channel fore to aft on the saucer sets apart the warp assembly in the saucer.

At any rate, here is the current shape..looking for criticism, even the smallest critique is appreciated. Though I appreciate praise, im really looking to improve it. I have to get this fed thing down. Just keep in mind that alot of the smoothing is undone while I continue to work on the shape.

Thanks in advance for your input.

PICS REMOVED UNTIL THE LAST TWO PAGES

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
Re: New direction for feds thanks to DJ....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
much improved over the last incarnation of the mesh.  i think the back end still looks a little drawn out, however.  I think you can get away with leaving the secondary hull the same length if you try flipping the flow direction of the nacelle pylons.  glad i could inspire you to get going on this thing.  how old is this mesh now, anyway?  i think i remember seeing it in the BC2 forums at bcu, no?

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
LOL its REALLY old. Your the one that gave it life. Thanks to you I might....might....be able to make feds one day.

I was looking at that too, perhaps shortening the back end a bit. it does look a bit long.

As usual your eye is sharp hehe.

Any other critiques?

Offline FourChan

• Admiral Noel Vermillion
  • Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Technologies Development Center
    • Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:56:38 PM »
I like the way it looks, but the tubes or whatever they are on the saucer should be narrowed down to one, cause two makes it look awkward.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »
The two tubes underneath? They are heavy cannons, I could do one instead....I think ill try that, might be a nod to the future galaxy....

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »
Ok, some quick changes...shortened the hull a bit, definitely works better, could maybe be even a bit shorter. I also changed the ventral heavy cannon to a single barrel.

PICS REMOVED UNTIL THE LAST TWO PAGES

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:16:17 PM »
Interesting concept... can't wait to see where this one will go.  Incoming cookie!

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »
Reminds me of STO.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
hmmm

I kinda liked the look of the double barrel ventral heavy cannons...

also I think this ship could use sov style pylons, if a bit wider from the engineering hull...
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
makes me think of an ENHANCED excelsior - maybe the newst in the line :D

Offline Bigkap

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 12:17:48 AM »
I sort of liked the dual canon as well, but if you're going to go single canon may I suggest placing it under the deflector/engineering area, as it sort of looks like it will interfere with the quantum launcher in its current location.

Aside that the rest is gorgeous. I love its aggressive lines :twisted:

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »
Reminds me of STO.

I hope thats a good thing ;)

hmmm

I kinda liked the look of the double barrel ventral heavy cannons...

also I think this ship could use sov style pylons, if a bit wider from the engineering hull...

Ill try that, widen them a bit and see how it looks.

I sort of liked the dual canon as well, but if you're going to go single canon may I suggest placing it under the deflector/engineering area, as it sort of looks like it will interfere with the quantum launcher in its current location.

I can go back to the dual cannons, I preferred them myself as well. The problem with putting the cannon on the engineering hull is this is a sep ship, so the cannon would go with the main hull when I need it on the saucer. The main hull already has some heavy hitting firepower, the saucer needed the cannons to come up to speed, so both sep ships were about equal in bang.

Offline Shion

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:12:20 AM »
Still looks a bit long.  Also you could try sweeping the nacelle struts foward and raising them a bit.  That would give the ship a more compact and bulky look, as opposed to the slender, long look it has now.

Offline JamesTiberiusKirk

• Johnny Walker... one of my best friends! Cheers!
  • Cookies: 33
  • Cheers!
    • My Myspace Page ->
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »
Looking great so far. Looks a little like Queballs Victory.

"And this... is... to go... even further beyond!"

Offline Atlantis27

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:36:10 AM »
I like the idea of having two heavy cannons too, however something about them in the first screenshot didn't seem right. Maybe they were too far apart, so how about putting them closer together? Far apart enough that they don't interfere with the torpedo launcher, but still quite close.

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »
I really like the little rotation on the Nacelles ( are you the first one who did this? Incomming Cookie)!
I also like the Dual Cannon more than the single. The Deflector Pot looks like it would do like a good Shuttle/ Fighter Bay on the Aft End.
However I think the Saucer looks a bit weird. And as I am a big Ent D fan, I would maybe shorten it a bit, move it a little backwards and widen it, to keep the same space. But thats just me.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
The secondary hull looks more fit for a Sovereign style deflector.  Since this is going to be a seperable ship, you probably need some sort of deflector on the primary hull.  In fact, here are several suggestions:

1.  Round deflector on secondary hull

2.  Forked front on the primary hull (been awhile since we've seen one of those!)

3.  Put existing deflector in the fork

4.  Have cannons to either side of the fork

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
A one suggestion...
maybe move the front of the secondary hull forward by about 30%.? It just doesn't sit well with me.? Other than that, the ship looks great :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »
One thought: Excelsior styled nacelle pylons. You'd have yourself a 25th century Ex, there :).

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
I agree with what others are saying, it still looks a little long and drawn out.. like someone grabbed the nose of the saucer and pulled it until its streched too far..  from certain angles it looks gorgeous, and others it looks ugly but in saying that its not supposed to be pretty being a heavy ship i suppose..  I think defiant type panelled textures would rock on this.

Good Job Raven