Author Topic: Noob 101  (Read 2678 times)

Offline starfox1701

• Cookies: 13
Noob 101
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:33:36 AM »
Ok I'm new at this and am having CTD problems. I don't have a heavily moded game yet so heres the setup in order of install. BCMI, BCgame, 1.1 patch, BCMP(Foundation went in at this point), BCSDK, Python scripter(not at my PC and can't remeber exact name Version is I think 2.5.2)8, CG Sovi, NanoFx2.0b, and JLS Federation DamageFX. The problems started after NanoFx went in. I'm getting kicked back to my desktop tring to load my SP game On missions E6M4 and M5, and the new sovi hp script sometimes not loading. about half the time I get a crash I also get a windows error report request but not always. The only Script I have personally messed with it the Sovi hardpoint.py. I suspect this is a scripting problem but am unsure were to even start hunting unless this is a known bug with NanoFx that I being a Noob missed. I'm trying to learn how to do this but at this time only really have Armada moding experiance and this take alot more skill than ODF editing. I'm only 2 weeks in so forgive me if its a simple askd an answered thing. Just trying to get the education.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Noob 101
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:03:25 AM »
After you installed a mod your save games are invalidated. Either restart SP, or go to Custom Missions screen and continue playing from the last played mission.

And installing a Python interpretter doesn't matter, BC has it's own version of Python 1.5.2 baked in.

Also, when a program crashes (any program) it can trigger a Windows Error Report window, I suspect that half your time, BC detects a big error and exits itself, so "normally" and thus not triggering a Windows Error Report window.

*Moved to Technical Support*
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Mobius

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »
So, basicly. When you install a mod, your SP save files will be rejected by BC? thus leading to the crash to the deskop?

Does that include smaller mods such as replacing the old sovereign for example?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:02:08 PM »
They are the most greatly affected by scripts, least by textures and models and the rest in between.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:08:29 PM »
So the deal is the SP don't like NanoFx, and there is pretty much nothing that can be done about it :(. Ok An Sp freindly replacements for NanoFx?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:00:26 AM »
well, there's Nanofx 1.0 I suppose.
The game also doesn't like the CG sovereign because it doesn't have the Quantumtorpedo.py as one of it's torpedo choices, but that's easy to fix.
I highly suggest getting the new BCSupermod 3.0, the author has designed it specifically so that all of the stock ships have been replaced with the best community mods, while it still plays like normal

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:01:40 AM »
Looked at it according to the specs He listed My PC's not up to snuff. Going to have to figure some way to squeez extra proformace out of the mod and my PC.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
You can install NanoFXv2Beta, you just have to start your SP from your last mission through the Custom Mission screen.

Offline Mobius

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »
Singel player isn't fond of Rick Knox's (a.k.a pneumonic81) Starships either :\  which I found out the hard way.

Bah, all that progress :( 

I'm going to try BCS3, thanks for mentioning it Aces :)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
You mean colliding against Drydock? Or the savegames again?
In the latter case, you will have to either clear your savegames and start over, or use the Custom mission section to continue where you left.

Offline Mobius

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
I tried starting all over again. but I kept crashing each time I tried to load a saved game.

I re installed and played a little bit, loaded and everything worked. (no modifications installed)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »
Then you can try installing BC SuperMod v3, but you must know that installing (other) mods with that isn't recommended.

But you can have multiple BC installs, really easily.

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 06:17:28 AM »
Well I'm running the BCSM 3.0 and the only point so far were  I have FPS problems is when the computer has to think. :shock: I guess it can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time, bearly. :lol:

Offline Mobius

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
Hm, when installing BCS3 I get the black scree of death >.<

But on my other computer, it runs ok.  Well no, it doesn't. whenever I go to thirdperson (view the entire ship) I get some extreme lagg :\ 
But when I'm in 1st person, everything runs just fine :x

The laptop runs vista

and the other one runs XP
(700mb ram, 2,80ghz)

Could the problem be that my comp just isn't good enough?

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »
Well he recomends over 2G of Ram and a 512 DirectX9 vid card along with a 3GHz CPU. Try turning the space dust off and see if that helps some. Also the enhanced glows might be another eater of power.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
Turn visual damage down or even off, that also takes a big hit on system resources, and generally turning down other graphics options (LOD and Textures) also helps.

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:51 AM »
Ok I got a strange problem now some of the ships are having clping problems on the exterior veiws but not on the bridge screen and the Nebulas are causing 3 time the slow down of the cg sovi or the SNS galaxy I also got a virtual memory error in my last time playing. It said windows was increasing that.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 08:01:23 AM »
What was the setup you were using (QB Setup that is)?

[EDIT] The clipping is mostlikely due to camera settings in the hardpoint.

Offline starfox1701

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »
Its the BCsuper mod v3.0 and its in the campain and like is said it only happens when I'm playing in tactical mod not on the bridge.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 06:39:10 PM »
It's quite possible it's also happening on the bridge, except that it's positioned so that you don't see it.