Author Topic: DJ Galaxy Class Pack -- Now Available @ BCFiles  (Read 26015 times)

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
DJ Galaxy Class Pack -- Now Available @ BCFiles
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:12:40 PM »
NCC-71099

After watching people comment on POTD's at BCFiles about how the Enterprise-D was not around during the war, etc., I decided to do up another standard Galaxy Class, the Challenger.  I might do some more too, don't know yet.

Also, I was wondering, does anyone know if the USS Magellan is also a Galaxy Class starship?  I remember in Way of the Warrior Dax tells Sisko that a task force is on its way led by the Magellan, and then when it does, a Galaxy Class ship is docked at DS9.  What do you guys think?

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
Re: U.S.S. Challenger
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
from what i remember DJ, it was the Venture that was mentioned in Way of the Warrior,
The Magellan was mentioned in Sacrifice of Angels, when sisko says "The Magellan and Venture are meant to be protecting our starboard flanks",
And i am almost 100% sure the Magellan is a galaxy class

Offline Shino Tenshi

• NG|mods Founder
  • Cookies: 23
  • Aw, man...
    • NG|mods website
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:20 PM »
Memory Alpha says:

Star Trek Encyclopedia states that this vessel was a Constellation-class starship, with a registry of NCC-3069.

There are some who believe that the Magellan mentioned in "Sacrifice of Angels" was a Galaxy-class starship launched in the early 2370s because of the following dialog from the episode:

Sisko: "Ensign, have Galaxy Wings 91 and 93 engage those destroyers. All other ships, go for that opening. Whoever gets through doesn't stop 'til they reach Deep Space 9."
    Elim Garak: "Congratulations, Captain. You wanted them angry. They're angry."
    Sisko: "The Magellan and the Venture are supposed to be protecting our starboard flank. They're in too tight... tell fighter squadrons 6, 7 and 8 to..."

The subsequent shot of two Galaxy-class ships attacking has been taken by some to prove the Magellan was a Galaxy-class as the Venture was previously established as one. That conclusion would have to require, though, that no other Galaxy ships except the Venture and Magellan could possibly be in that shot. As at least six other Galaxy vessels were around at the time, the presumption has to remain speculation only. Also, there is no evidence from any production staff person or publication of anything other than the Magellan being a Constellation-class. It should be noted, though, that is somewhat unlikely that an eighty-year-old Constellation-class cruiser would lead a major assault on enemy warships in that massive battle, which is probably why it was noted in dialog as protecting the Defiant's flank instead.

It is also possible that the Magellan was either an Excelsior- or Miranda-class starship as frames from "Sacrifice of Angels" prior to Garak's statement above show ships from these two classes to the starboard side of the Defiant, including a Miranda-class ship holding close off the Defiant's starboard aft quarter.

Don't think this really helps, but... meh ^^

Other Galaxy ships?
Look:

USS Allegheny
    USS Asgard
    USS Bolivar
    USS Breedlove
    USS Challenger II
    USS Cheyenne (NCC-75435)
    USS Constitution
    USS Dauntless (NCC-71879) (destroyed in battle)
    USS Excalibur-A
    USS Hood
    USS Idaho
    USS Madison
    USS Monitor  (assimilated)
    USS Muakaikubo  (destroyed in battle)
    USS Oraidhe
    USS Oregon (NCC-75698)
    USS Potemkin
    USS San Francisco (NCC-74780)
    USS Trident

8)

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »
Wow. 'Tis all I can say, in all honesty... amazing. Captain LaForge would be proud.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »
thanks for that stuff guys.  i'd say it's very likely that the Magellan is a Galaxy Class.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
These ARE definite galaxy class vessels either mentioned on screen or the Encyclopedia,
Taken from DITL.org

NCC 71099  USS Challenger
NCC 1701-D USS Enterprise 
NCC 70637   USS Galaxy     
----------   USS Magellan (Has Venture Upgrades)
NCC 71832  USS Odyssey
NCC 71867  USS Trinculo 
NCC 71854  USS Venture
NCC 71807  USS Yamato

AndrewJ

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »
Interesting concept any other changes other than registry?

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »
Great work, great normalmapping :)

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

admiral homer

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »
Gene always said during the first few seasons of TNg that there should of only been 7 or 8 galaxy class ships. Now we know 3 of them from TNG galaxy, Enterprise and Yamato. So the Venture would be logical choice as would the Challenger. I am not too keen on the Excalibur beeing a name as we all ready have the Excalibur class, but i know that ship was mentioned in a book my peter David, but as there is going to be a Star Trek Excalibur it would be a bit confusing if there were 2 ships with the same name.

Still would'nt mind seeing the 2390 version of the ship with the enhanced deflector as part of the pack. :lol:

intrepid90

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »
most treks see the magellan as a galaxy.
but strictly seen its not canon.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »
DJ, why did you refuse that job at Paramount LOL :P Oh wait...dumb question, but beautiful ship nontheless :) Erm...Broccoli and veggies instead of cookies today :P.  Too many of those have been given lol ;)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline JerichoKru

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »
More greatness from DJ!   :D

Erm...Broccoli and veggies instead of cookies today :P.  Too many of those have been given lol ;)

...i cannot resist:

"I'm looking froward to your report, Mr. Broccoli"  ~Picard to Barclay
~ [UFP]JerichoKru

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 03:52:41 PM »
If I could make one minor suggestion, it would be to brighten up the escape pods a little bit. The greyish color you have on the Ent-D/Venture Galaxies, looks a little too grey and blends with the hull, making them look nearly invisible in certain angles.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »
Great work DJ, I'm really diggin the Challenger's regs!!  8)

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 04:40:04 PM »
Hey DJ, are you going to include blank registries along with your own? :P

Offline 1701-E

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
Hey DJ, are you going to include blank registries along with your own? :P

I hope so as well, but other than that I'm really loving the Challenger registy. After all they say variety is the spice of life.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »
variety is the spice of life.

QFT!!!

:D Oh yeah, DJ, those pics taken with NanoFX GE? I LOVES the second pic!

Offline adama2

• Cookies: 0
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
wow DJ a amazing ship...first class pics...! but DJ Curtis I thought your next project is the Galaxy Refit...? or i have confused..?!

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »
adama2--> it's coming.

Aeries--> Nope, just a max render.

kirk2164--> not right away.

dt--> it's more canon this way.  I've studied screenshots of the 4ft model until i nearly pulled my hair out.  they're the right color, i'm sure of it.

admiral homer--> it will be.

andrewJ--> maybe a tweak here or there, but nothing major.

Picard_1

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 08:47:06 PM »
I think a San Francisco registry should be done to fit into SP.