Author Topic: Hardpoints editor with model preview.. work in progress!  (Read 14269 times)

Jernej

Hardpoints editor with model preview.. work in progress!
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »

Hopefully this is a start of a nice little new hardpoint editor with ship rendering support, so you guys can stop guessing coordinates and end up releasing ships with torpedo tubes inside the engineering hull and other similar mishaps.. with a bit help of NifSkope and good old hex editor i made this model loader in a day, it supports most of bridge commander models already, and supporting special chunks in nif files won't be a problem. i will add a texture loader later today, and hopefully i can also add some sort of python hardpoint importer and exporter to complete it.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Hardpoints editor with model preview.. work in progress!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »
It was never really necessary to guess the coordinates thanks to Model Property Editor - the only existing tool with model viewer and hardpoint edition/creation tools ;)

Nice work so far, keep it up :D

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »
it would be nice to have an mpe without all the crash bugs left in it...like if you accedently hit delete property without one selected, or rid of that annoying "you must enter a number" prompt when you are trying to delete one to enter somethign new. It's a little late in the game for such a tool, should have been done long time ago and would have been much more worthwhile than say..BCMI..but better late then never.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Jernej

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »
Model Property Editor

I thought that damn thing was built to crash on every 3 clicks?

Sandtrooper

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »
MPE's other nasty bug was if you resized the vertical boxes after you loaded the HP the model would go white...hope this doesn't do that...

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 02:15:53 PM »
Yup if want to make something very quick with mpe it always crashes, especially when creating new HP

Jernej

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:54:29 PM »

It now loads all models in kb/m (minus 3 "specials"), i still have to fix some rendering issues (node translation, rotation & scale) before i go after hardpoint editing.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
if you need a tester let me know. Be warned...I nitpick.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!

Picard_1

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:44:05 PM »
It would be nice if someone could incorporate a group edit of ship stats so you
don't have to edit your phaser arrays individually.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
Yay, this may finally be a tool that even I can use ;)

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 07:33:43 AM »

Ditto.

The major pain with the MPE was subsystem positioning and setting up fed phaser arrays...
However, being able to set up non-elyptical arcs would be excellent, so we can actually 'draw' a phaser array placement over the physical texture would be superb.

Also being able to actually show a nonafx blinker in operation rather than just a representation with xyz lines.

BTW, I'm even more picky than Starforce ;)

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 08:00:51 AM »
Yep elmi- and St2- know their stuff, I will test if you wish, we Are a group of nitpickers.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 08:27:27 AM »

Ditto.

The major pain with the MPE was subsystem positioning and setting up fed phaser arrays...
However, being able to set up non-elyptical arcs would be excellent, so we can actually 'draw' a phaser array placement over the physical texture would be superb.
I just wonder if that is possible from the BC side of things.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:40 AM »
Hmm, would it be better to use the BC engine to render the whole thing I wonder?

Edit: is this something that could be built on BC Core?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 10:55:30 AM »
Hmm, would it be better to use the BC engine to render the whole thing I wonder?

Edit: is this something that could be built on BC Core?
Something I've always wanted to do (but never got off the ground, maybe in the future) was to create a special "mission" (think QuickBattle, that is also a mission) but where you could hp a model. But also include other things, such as FoundationTech stuff (or rather, additional plugins). But as I said, I never got that off the ground.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »
Yay, this may finally be a tool that even I can use ;)

No comment :P

another nice idea would be to have the crosshairs on all properties to display the size of the property (like with hull, or shield generator) because weapons don't show it. I've found some ships with the phaserbank properties set so large that anytime you make a hot on the saucer it damages all of them (while this may be realistic for tos, we've seen ships fire with heavy hull damage in later times)
Read my mod blog!

Jernej

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »
Elminster: sure it is possible, but when you consider all the python scripting needed to do it i guess you'll have a pretty headache, it is much easier and convinient to create an external program for editing hardpoints.

I now got the model loader to work just as good as BC itself, it doesn't handle the eye candy such as reflections and glow maps, but it renders all ships from KB/M properly, and i think that's as good as it has to be.. if it supports all those different ships i'm sure it supports all of it, but if it does't work with a ship that you have, give me a shout, here's the model viewer you can download to check it out:

http://mathpudding.com/temp/nifloader.rar

Load a .nif model, mouse drag = rotate, scroll wheel = zoom, hold control to zoom with greater factor.

The only thing it doesn't support at the moment are TGA textures which are RLE compressed, i only seen like 3 ships use them, i'll try to solve that later, and some ships have uv maps flipped for some reason, but i am clueless what causes that.

Sandtrooper

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
Looks nice....loads the "better" (IMO) BoP model nice...

At least it recognizes the scale too, a good thing

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 03:44:45 PM »
I was messing around with the viewer checking it out and by chance i was viewing khalibans connie and i zoomed her in and it took me inside of here and this is what she looked like

Jernej

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »
I was messing around with the viewer checking it out and by chance i was viewing khalibans connie and i zoomed her in and it took me inside of here and this is what she looked like

I don't get it.. what does that mean?