Author Topic: UMM (help!)  (Read 1440 times)

PaKara

UMM (help!)
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:41:58 PM »
Ugh, I've spent the past two days trying to determine how I've disrupted the whole installation process. I hadn't played BC for many months but decided to experience some mods so I downloaded BCMI, Distress, UMM, QBA. Distress seems to work, QBA possibly. I've installed the 1.1 patch and Foundation (at least it appears I have) and after many problems with the dreaded Black Screen managed to get it working. Except......UMM isn't :-( Am I following the correct procedure? I paste the contents of the main menu folder into the folder of the same name in the BC directory, the contents of Autoload into the folder of the same name, and the folder Unified Main Menu into the Custom folder. But the Console says there is no module? Here's the screenshot. Please help!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: UMM (help!)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:54:48 PM »
Could you zip and attach any .txt files in your scripts/Custom/ directory?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

PaKara

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
Could you zip and attach any .txt files in your scripts/Custom/ directory?

I have to be honest, I'm dense when it comes to modding. I unzipped the contents of the mods to a separate folder and then copied and pasted its content into the relevant BC folders. I've uninstalled, cleaned the registry, even reinstalled to a new directory named Bridge Commander2 in the hope it would work. No dice :-(.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »
I've taken a better look at the images, you aren't starting the "custom mission" UnifiedMainMenu and/or QBAutostart?

They aren't missions, you shouldn't run them.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

PaKara

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:18:29 PM »
I've taken a better look at the images, you aren't starting the "custom mission" UnifiedMainMenu and/or QBAutostart?

They aren't missions, you shouldn't run them.

So the Custom folder is pretty much just for Missions/Ships? Where do I install the folders for UMM and QBA, then? Have I misunderstood? I'm sorry for being such a pain! I really appreciate your support!!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »
I think you installed it correctly, you just don't start the custom missions unless you know it's a real mission.

I admit the Custom directory has been overused, but that has a reason, we can only read/write files in there. And for plugins, we need to be able to read files (their filenames in fact).

But BC sees every directory in there as a mission, even if it isn't. In which case you get what you are getting.

PaKara

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:55:31 PM »
I think you installed it correctly, you just don't start the custom missions unless you know it's a real mission.

I admit the Custom directory has been overused, but that has a reason, we can only read/write files in there. And for plugins, we need to be able to read files (their filenames in fact).

But BC sees every directory in there as a mission, even if it isn't. In which case you get what you are getting.

Hmmm, I never intentionally ran UMM and QBA as custom missions. When I ran BC in test mode to determine why they weren't functioning properly, they were indeed located under Custom Missions. I'm really confused. Do you have any suggestions? Were should the folders be placed exactly? I kinda assumed that you copied and pasted into the folders of the same name, as I explained in my first post. Sorry about this!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »
You copy the contents of the scripts directory into the scripts directory of BC.
So that's right.

Now, unless you install a real custom mission, then I suggest you don't click on one.
Only run QuickBattle.

PaKara

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »
You copy the contents of the scripts directory into the scripts directory of BC.
So that's right.

Now, unless you install a real custom mission, then I suggest you don't click on one.
Only run QuickBattle.

Wait, so you c & P the contents into the scripts directory and let it do its thing? I've been manually pasting the folders into those of the same name.  As I've said, my intention wasn't to play a custom mission. I ran BC in test mode and noticed UMM and QBA were located under Custom Missision in the Test option on the main screen.  I have an idea! Here's a screen of the BC directory. Does that configuration look standard?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 09:51:03 AM »
It does, like I said, it seems to be alright.
So, only start QuickBattle.

PaKara

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »
It does, like I said, it seems to be alright.
So, only start QuickBattle.

It works! UMM is now visible in the options menu! I'm not entirely sure why....but meh! Thank you for your support

Oh, one additional query: is UMM compatible with Quick Battle Replacement. I've been intending to download but I'm hesitant after this ordeal....

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »
UMM has nothing to do with QBR and QBR has nothing to do with UMM, so yeah, it's compatible.

To be complete, UMM is "just" a main menu mod, while QBR is a QuickBattle like "mission" (QB is a mission under the hood).