Author Topic: multiplayer issues, requires someone with knowledge about routers and ports  (Read 1226 times)

m35gibson

hi guys
im having a problem,,  when i go and host a game, no one can see me,,, i can join games, just cant host,a joinable game.
i was looking at an earlier post about having or using a certin port,, well im not familar with ports, how to use them,, or most important, how to acsses them, im using windows vista,,if anyone could give me some pointers on how to get this
problem fixed, i would appricate it
many thanks
kevin

[MLeo EDIT] I added a more detailed subject for you, and moved it to Technical Support.
*Moved*
I won't reply just yet, so that others are more inclined to take a look.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
Are you using a router? If so you need to ensure the inbound ports are open on it. Your router manual should tell you how to open them
I'm not sure if BC requires UDP ports so just open TCP ones for the moment to test it.

m35gibson

direct join option
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:49:59 PM »
hello again
i have some issues i need to fix, one, i still am unable to host a game others can see, i know nothing about ports, or how to change them, i dont use a router, its direct to a modem, i noticed there is a diect join option in multiplayer,
can i and another person use that option to create a game just for two, if all else fails, or is there a simple fix to allow me to repair my ability to host
thanks for any help you can give
kevin

m35gibson

hello,
im using no routers, i know nothing about ports or how to acess the thru my computer
any help would be appriciated
kevin

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: direct join option
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
No need to create duplicate posts.
I'll be merging this with the previous one.

Typically, with direct join, you need to enter the ip address of the other person you want to connect (join) to. This means the hosting person.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Former Vice Admin
hello,
im using no routers, i know nothing about ports or how to acess the thru my computer
any help would be appriciated
kevin

That being the case what firewall are you using? Symantec, windows etc?

m35gibson

im using windows firewall
kevin

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Former Vice Admin
Ok, here's what you need to do under Vista;

1. Go to Start, Programs , Control Panel.
2. Double Click Windows Firewall
3. Across from the text that says 'Windows Firewall is on', click on 'Change Settings'
4. Click on the Exceptions tab.
5. Look down the list to see if 'Star Trek Bridge Commander' is shown.
5a. If it isn't, click Add Program, and select it from the list, if its not in the list, browse to the 'STBC.exe' by clicking on the 'Browse...' button.
6. If it is, make sure the icon next to it is ticked
7. Highlight it and click 'Add Port...'
8. Give it a name and then enter the 1st Port number that BC requires (leave it as TCP for now)
9. Click 'OK'
10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the other port number (giving it a different name)
11. If this still doesn't work it may require a UDP port as well, repeat steps 7 to 9 and set the Protocol to UDP.

This should work, if it is the only firewall between you and the net.

m35gibson

thanks
ive done the sttings, i olnly wish there was a way of testing it out,
the guy i play online with isnt available until evenings but thank you for the help.
as far as i know, windows is the only firewall im using,
kevin

m35gibson

hi,
well i opend the ports required to host my own game, i still have nothin,i opened several tcp ports  and udp ports, i got the list of ports gamespy uses, nether myself or my freind have had luck. just to let u know, i have no problem playing
in someone eleses game, but there are some real jerks out there{ and u know who u are}that if they dont know you, they boot you out, or if you are a newbe like, they treat you like garbage, then boot you.
any help would be appiciated
thanks
kevin

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Former Vice Admin
Re: multiplayer issues, requires someone with knowledge about routers and ports
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 12:29:50 PM »
No! Don't open any more ports than BC requires or you'll leave yourself open to attack.

If the above suggestion didn't work, there must be something else, probably a hardware or software firewall blocking the connection.

So you have opened two sets of ports (TCP and UDP) inbound on each port number so far right?
You need to be careful here as opening random ports opens your machine up to attach from the internet.

So do you have Norton/Symantec software on your machine?

m35gibson

Re: multiplayer issues, requires someone with knowledge about routers and ports
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 07:08:35 PM »
hi,
i opened tcp port 80, 6667, 28910, 29900, 29901
then opened udp port  2302, 6500, 13139, 27900,
all are ports used by gamespy. the only firwall i have is windows
im not the only person having this problem, two of my friends
are having the same issue of not being able host a connected game, we all have the same settings and firewall
and we all use vista,
kevin