Author Topic: StarTrek:New Voyages Gets my respect!  (Read 688 times)

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
StarTrek:New Voyages Gets my respect!
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
Just when i was becoming highly disgruntled about consistency in trek, i was watching the fan made new voyages series episode "To Serve All My Days" guest starring walter Koenig as older chekov, it addressed one of the biggest inconsistencies in trek - the use of money. The Script cleverly calls for addressing The failure and iminent collapse of the Federation "credit" system and how to solve it. Now, if only the producers of Trek at paramount would pay attention..

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Re: StarTrek:New Voyages Gets my respect!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:14 PM »
credit's have been mentioned a few times in trek over the years, they're even mentioned in BC's users manual as part of the backstory.

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
yes New Voyagers/Phase II is a very good show, I have been following it since day 1

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:23:59 PM »
Yes, it is very good. I can very much picture the Original Series continuing in that fashion had it been allowed to complete its run.

As for the money situation, I've always viewed it as the FEDERATION doesn't use money internally, but there must be some form of trade-able requisition unit, as any organization would need something like that to facilitate resource allocation. However, the Federation would not be able to force its tenets on unaligned or independent peoples. Therefore, to trade with non-members, like the Ferengi or Klingons, the Federation would still have to keep vast stores of Latinum or whatever a race used for currency.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »
That particular episode blasts consistency with it's ending, however. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but it makes no sense.

I recommend the infinitely superior next episode, "World Enough and Time", a tear-jerker on the order of "The Visitor", and a seriously fantastic piece of Star Trek.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »
World enough has been on my "must see" list it does look epic.