Author Topic: Mods for people new to the game?  (Read 693 times)

Offline BuckoA51

• Cookies: 1
Mods for people new to the game?
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this game and trying to write a noob players guide for my website. I have got the game to install just fine, but there are so many mods and files kicking around I'm not sure where to go.

If I want to play the single player game, with the best visual quality possible, which mod(s) should I install?

Thanks

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
Re: Mods for people new to the game?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »
For singleplayer, the is the old Supermod is afaik the most recent.
BUT -there is also a complete new Singleplayer overhaul being developed, which should come out soonTM -ish.
Personally I'd wait for the new mod, and maybe play a bit stock campaign before -to fully appreciate what's to come.

For anything non-Singleplayer there is the Kobayashi Maru mod compilation, which includes some of the most important mods and is a good base for a custom install.

Edit:
And welcome to the Forums!

Offline BuckoA51

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
Thank you!

While researching, some other posts I read around the internet suggested that the Kobayashi Maru mod had some negative affects on the single player game, is that accurate?

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
It's basically entirely incompatible.  Makes your game crash when trying to launch the campaign.  I'd play normal, then with BC Supermod, then with the Single Player Mod when it comes out, and while you wait, play with Kobayashi Maru in Quick Battle to pass the time.  It helps to keep a separate install for each mod - copy-pasting the unmodded BC several times and renaming the folder (BCKM, BCSM, etc.) helps.  I'd install any other ship specific and such types of mods to the Kobayashi Maru folder.  Of course if you want to play Kobayashi Maru multiplayer, don't install anything other than the latest KM.  When I actually played the game, I had several folders:  Unmodded, Supermod, Kobayashi Maru unmodded, Kobayashi Maru modded, each being larger than the last.  I believe my KM Modded install totaled between 20 and 30 gigs when I was through.

Offline BuckoA51

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »
Great, that was my next question "Can I have multiple installs of the game".   :D

Okay that should be everything I need to know. I'll post a link to my newcomer tutorial here when it is done, if that's okay?

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »
Great, that was my next question "Can I have multiple installs of the game".   :D

Okay that should be everything I need to know. I'll post a link to my newcomer tutorial here when it is done, if that's okay?

Any contribution is always welcomed.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline BuckoA51

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »
Okay here it is:- http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/02/21/trek-bridge-commander/

If anyone takes the time to have a look and sees any problems or omissions do let me know either here or in the comments.

Offline Maverick

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »
Okay here it is:- http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/02/21/trek-bridge-commander/

If anyone takes the time to have a look and sees any problems or omissions do let me know either here or in the comments.

That's a great start don't forget about ds9fxenteded it's a awesome mod and you can install it over Km2011.
Qprisbrey

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »

KM does allow for 19:9 ratio resolutions in BC.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline BuckoA51

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »
Thank you for the feedback everyone, I will take a look at that mod too.

KM does allow for 19:9 ratio resolutions in BC.

Is that achieved by editing the cfg file and does it stretch the graphics out of proportion on the bridge?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
Thank you for the feedback everyone, I will take a look at that mod too.

Is that achieved by editing the cfg file and does it stretch the graphics out of proportion on the bridge?

It edits more than just the cfg file and I don't know the exact effects to the bridge but heck I don't play much of BC in the Bridge view.
I fly in tactical view where I can view everything from the outside.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline BuckoA51

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »
Ok, what I meant was do you need to edit the cfg file to activate widescreen mode or is it something the KM mod does itself (I've only played the BC ultimate mod so far).

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
KM has a button you click that changes it, just as if it were in the options menu.  It does distort the bridge as I recall.

Offline BuckoA51

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
Many thanks.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
Installing mods for BC can be a bit tricky however BCUT also has a component called "Mod Installer" which in theory should install almost all known install types with emphasis on almost all. I don't think BCUT would be smart enough to install Super Mod properly for example, simply because the installation procedure itself is broken (more or less).

You cannot create something like Skyrim Mod Manager for example for BC. Many mods can overwrite different files so you have to keep track of these changes which makes it nearly impossible to automate, each package is not separated from each other. Nevertheless the component should recognize and install the 3 following packaging types:
1. Executable installers - they're the easiest it just runs the executable installer
2. Manual installation (copy and paste) - BCUT automates this procedure
3. .BCMod Packaging - Once again BCUT automates this procedure

It however doesn't come with an uninstaller, it's hard to track all and every mod especially with different types of installation procedures and different file versions which may or may not conflict.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign