Author Topic: TMP phaser effect as seen in Rifleman's videos for A2 ships  (Read 1069 times)

Offline starfox1701

• Cookies: 13
Re: TMP phaser effect as seen in Rifleman's videos for A2 ships
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
Not specificly but there is sprite information in the script files. Once you know what the base animation is you can take that info and code the A2 sprite like I did with the TMP phasers. In this case the A2 sprite equivalent for the BC phaser is the spphaser sprite animation found in the found in the tex_anim.spr file. Modified version of that entry is what used as the base for the new TMP phaser.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
Re: TMP phaser effect as seen in Rifleman's videos for A2 ships
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »
It's more an issue of semantics and differing application of the same sort of assets.

Just to clarify;

Strictly speaking, a sprite is a 2D billboard, often animated, oriented to the camera at all times.

BC's phasers are nested, hardcoded cylinders, textured with the phaser TGA, and coloured in accordance with the harpoint scripts.
The torpedoes are also complex 3D objects, with a sprite core, static textures, and "flares", like petals, that fade in and out of visibility randomly.

The most notable uses of proper animated sprites in BC is actually a mod. NanoFX's explosions are a very evident examples of sprites in BC.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling, I just wanted to clarify why we say the weapons in BC aren't sprites.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!