Author Topic: Running BC on a netbook  (Read 716 times)

Offline JCPronkFan48

• Cookies: 0
Running BC on a netbook
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:08:15 AM »
Greetings and salutations!

Have a couple of questions for the community as I've dug this venerable classic of a game out, and am looking to get back into it!

• I have an Asus Eee PC 1215N netbook that I'd love to play BC on. The obvious issue with this is that the netbook has no optical disk drive. Through the magic of being able to share the ODD on my desktop, I was able to successfully install the game on my netbook. However, when I go into the game and try to hit a Quick Battle, it can't find the disc. Now I understand the networked ODD will only work when I'm connected to the same network as my desktop, and when BC is in the ODD. Is there a way to make this setup work, or (better yet) get the WHOLE of BC on my netbook so I don't NEED the disc at all?
  • In the midsts of setting up my in-game options after my (thought to be successful) install, I noticed that BC doesn't appear to pick up my graphics card correctly. My netbook has both Intel Integrated Graphics AND a dedicated NVIDIA ION 2 chip. I've set up BC to run off of that chip on my desktop and through the NVIDIA Control Panel... However, BC only picks up on the Intel Graphics, and limits my resolution to 1024x768 (when my NVIDIA can handle more detail). Obviously I haven't gotten into the core game to find out how the graphics look as-is, but I want to get the most out of my experience.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Running BC on a netbook
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:51:24 AM »
unfortunately, yes; you MUST have the disk.  any diskless versions of BC are a no-no, as it's considered theft, etc.  the details needed to play the Malestrom or quick battle is set on the disk.

other people here can clarify this, and hopefully provide suggestions on hardware.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »
unfortunately, yes; you MUST have the disk.  any diskless versions of BC are a no-no, as it's considered theft, etc.  the details needed to play the Malestrom or quick battle is set on the disk.

other people here can clarify this, and hopefully provide suggestions on hardware.

though this is true, if you need to you CAN create a Disc image that you could run through a program like Daemon tools, but most people only make an ISO Disc Image if theyre disc was damaged and they cant get ahold of another copy.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:07 AM »
though this is true, if you need to you CAN create a Disc image that you could run through a program like Daemon tools, but most people only make an ISO Disc Image if theyre disc was damaged and they cant get ahold of another copy.

or are lazy like me and don't feel like getting the disk out every time to play the game :P
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »
or are lazy like me and don't feel like getting the disk out every time to play the game :P
that too XD, but seriously running bc from a disc image through software like daemon tools should work, and you can make ISO disc images with Daemon tools so its kinda easy to do once you have this, just be sure to exit daemon tools before you shut down as it will cause a boot error on next boot, but after that it will be fine.

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

Yah...that's what I did!
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »
just be sure to exit daemon tools before you shut down as it will cause a boot error

what version are you running? Cause that never happens and is not supposed to happen. (works fine on my PC and laptop)

anyway JCPronkFan48 yeah just make an img of your disk and run it off the pc useing the program that was suggested.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:37 AM »
i used majic disc on my netbook for the ISO before the HD crapped out....

but BEWARE, if you accidentally make the game resolution HIGHER than the moniter/chipset is meant to output, you will have to go into the options.cfg (? :idk:) to change it BACK or it will cause a D3D error and crash upon booting BC, the reason the graphics may look bad is beacuse netbooks really werent designed as 3D gaming machines, hence the term NETbook  :hithead:
(mine had an intel chipset and i could run smoothly on medium texture settings and turning NanoFX down to 1/4 of the installed parameters)

but that donna mean with ah little jerry rigging it canna be accomplished cappn!

also hope and pray you dont have to rip into it for ANY reason... upgrading the RAM in mine was like installing a starter in a front wheel drive honda without jacking the car up...
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Defiant

• Cookies: 1105
    • BC: Kobayashi Maru
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 12:52:53 AM »
For Nvidia Optimus you should be able to select the graphic card by doing a right click on the stbc.exe.