Author Topic: External HDD help...  (Read 1029 times)

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
Re: External HDD help...
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
just read the manual and asked for some info, turns out this touch smarts BIOS and CMOS has its own micro processor, which allow for some bios usage before it detects the CPU fault and freezes.....but it looks like the processors shot, due to while it was in the machine the voltage going through it was WAY below the minimum requirement, but everything else including the AMD slot worked fine......

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
now thats making sence as to why its booting then freezes, when i had my issue it was with the processor in the gateway, older tech lol.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »
@ CyAn1d3

Sounds good, just let me know. And if there's something I don't have, then I'm sure I could find it somewhere around town. I live in Silicon Valley so.... there are quite a few places around here that would most likely have what you're looking for and usually (not always) for good prices.

@ flarespire

Honestly, from your description I don't think it's your processor... otherwise your PC wouldn't even POST (Power On Self Test, which is directed by the CPU), it just plain wouldn't start at all. I'm leaning towards a bad hard drive; especially a bad MBR (Master Boot Record) which is on the first track of the HD and initializes the OS after the BIOS has finished its process. If that's the case, there are 3 options off the top of my head that you could attempt to try to recover your data:

1. Boot from the Windows installation disk and run the Microsoft Recovery Console. Once in the recovery console command line type "fixmbr", without the quotes. This sometimes works... but sometimes the drive/sectors are too damaged and it won't work.

2. Remove the drive, buy a USB to SATA/IDE adapter (a device that allows you to hook up an internal HD externally to the PC through a USB port. Think of it as an external HD enclosure without the enclosure; just the connections that you connect your drive to the computer with). They run anywhere between $15 to $30 U.S. dollars and you can get them online like from Newegg.com. Of course you need to obviously hook up to another working PC. Maybe a friends or if you have another system. Once you do this, this defective drive will act as if it's just another external drive and bypass the MBR. Thereby you might be able to pull off your data.

3. If none of the above work then the drive might be in such bad shape that you would have to send it off to a data recovery service. But this option could potentially be VERY expensive. Most people that do this only do it if the data on the drive is critical and they didn't have a backup.

Good luck! 

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 08:11:40 AM »
considering i tested the HDD and its fine that isnt the problem, and i get the same prob with the windows disk as i get with windows booting, ive checked everything else over so the only explination is the CPU i had a similar issue with a really old pc.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
just read the manual and asked for some info, turns out this touch smarts BIOS and CMOS has its own micro processor, which allow for some bios usage before it detects the CPU fault and freezes.....but it looks like the processors shot, due to while it was in the machine the voltage going through it was WAY below the minimum requirement, but everything else including the AMD slot worked fine......

Then this may be an issue with either the power supply going bad (as in bad voltage regulation). Or, the motherboard is starting to go bad and some of its components have degraded to the point where they can't maintain the proper current.

Either way, this kind of "problem" usually causes a domino effect where if one thing is not doing its job it starts taking other things with it... like the CPU. I've seen this happen a few times, including one of my older systems.

May be time for a newer system. This may sound kind of obvious but sometimes, it is the best, most cost/time efficient thing to do as fixing your existing system may, in a nutshell, not be worth the time (or money). 

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
you may be right, even though its a pretty recent machine, and id like to save the touch screen, if possible...., could be usefull to me, but if i cant i cant, at least i got a 500GB HDD out of it, may need a case like CyAn1d3's for it though......anyways moed, thx for the help.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
may need a case like CyAn1d3's for it though.......

i got mine on ebay for a little over $4 (paid more for shipping than the unit itself), but the cheaper ones i found only support up to a 200g, i found one that was around $10 and supported up to a 500g, but youll have to do some research if you go looking for an enclosure, make 100% SURE it will support the drive before you sink the money into getting it or youll be running into the same issue as i.... then again the power specs werent posted on the auction.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
yeah, i mean its not for my pc, its for my dads, and his has 1 HDD holding bracket which is obviously in use, but he needs ths space as theres,oh say, 12GB left on his HDD, i guess ill do some research.
oh and im working on the side view of the victory as we speak, fun fun fun XD