Author Topic: 3D Max Animation  (Read 547 times)

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
3D Max Animation
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:55:45 AM »
Does anyone know how to stop max from damping a animation.

I mean when I move a ship from point A to point B it does not travel at a constant speed it speeds up to the right speed then slows at the end of the movement. I usual start the animation early and end late but is there a option to turn this off?
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
Re: 3D Max Animation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
Does anyone know how to stop max from damping a animation.

I mean when I move a ship from point A to point B it does not travel at a constant speed it speeds up to the right speed then slows at the end of the movement. I usual start the animation early and end late but is there a option to turn this off?

i had the same problem when i did my videos. the only way i managed to get around that was to add to the beginning and end of the animation, and render out ONLY the frames that the object was moving proper. i.e. animation is 100 frames, ship moves how i want it from 10 to 90, lenghten the animation so its the total 100 frames i want and render, its cheesy and somewhat annoying, but no matter how much i POURED through my manuels and textbooks, there was no mention of how to turn this off.

i also reccomend rendering out your "test" videos in low res so they wont take forever and you can add nessicary frames for timing, then when its where you want, render high quality.

hope this helps!

Edit: if i remember correctly you can also add a keyframe when it hits top to keep it at that rate till it ends.... if i remember correctly
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Toa_Kaita

• Cookies: 58
  • Aspiring 3D Animator and Music Composer
    • Current Project - Earth-Link Origins
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
When I started 3d animation years ago, I wonder how to do the exact same thing.  The answer is this. What you want to do is go into the curve editor. From there you can select your keyframes and you can use the "Set Tangents to Linear" option (its the straight diagonal line) so the ships will move at a constant speed.

There is a fellow by the name of CJCA915 who knows more about it than I do, and I do believe he had a tutorial on it. Ill post the link if I find it again.

EDIT: Heres the link!
&feature=watch_response

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
When I started 3d animation years ago, I wonder how to do the exact same thing.  The answer is this. What you want to do is go into the curve editor. From there you can select your keyframes and you can use the "Set Tangents to Linear" option (its the straight diagonal line) so the ships will move at a constant speed.

There is a fellow by the name of CJCA915 who knows more about it than I do, and I do believe he had a tutorial on it. Ill post the link if I find it again.

EDIT: Heres the link!
&feature=watch_response

:eek
well now i feel like a damn fool for all those unnessicary headaches and unorthodox tactics :hithead:, but my teacher said it best in college "theres really no 100% set way to do things in max, it depends soley on the user and theres always shortcuts"... owell live and learn.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
Yeah, don't underestimate the power of the curve editor. It can save a lot of headaches and needless keyframing.
MUSE!!!

Offline Side 3

• Cookies: 1
  • All glory to the Haruhi-toad!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
I personally detest TCB splines and the like. I mean, sure, it can come in handy for certain things but I don't animate organic things!  :funny