Author Topic: Bridge commander does not use the gpu...?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline sona1111

• Cookies: 0
Bridge commander does not use the gpu...?
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:32:05 PM »
Hello community!

I ma be new to this forum, but ST:BC has been entertaining me for many years. I have many mods for it currently including nanoFX and KM, BC scripts, etc. My goal is to be able to play this without getting the massive lag, and NOT turn down the settings!

YEs, i am a computer nerd of sorts and while my computer if far from the best i do know what i am doing if i need to upgrade. I have been thinking about getting a new video card to replace my 8800 GT for a little while however when i was looking into a little overclocking to test how far the current card would go, i came across a very strange problem. The "gpu useage" on the EVGA precision monitor program does not go up AT ALL when playing hardcore BC when its "lagging". All of the work is put on the CPU, which i am sure is the main problem that is making it lag, maybe i do not even need to upgrade!

Anyway, in short, what is the best way to get star trek bridge commander to use my GPU correctly instead of offloading everything to the cpu?

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Bridge commander does not use the gpu...?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:03:43 AM »
probably by rebuilding the game engine or waiting for the "excalibur" version.  i bet that the processing draw is hardcoded into the engine.  don't forget, this game was made a decade ago for and on a windows 9X OS.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:03:08 AM »
probably by rebuilding the game engine
cant modify the exe unfortunately...  (also illegal)
or waiting for the "excalibur" version.
to clarify - there isn't going to be an "Excalibur version" of BC...  Star Trek Excalibur is it's own game on it's own engine, built from scratch...

Offline sona1111

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
so is there some kind of program that lets you use a gpu as another cpu core for a certain process, or am i forced to downgrade gpu or upgrade cpu ?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
even if you could find one, BC's engine would probably ignore it.

Jimmy's not kidding about trying to fix the game engine, either.  it's never been released to BE fixed.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »
This can be summed up to about this: BC's engine is very old lol. BC doesn't even know about multicore. There were certain attempts in the past attempt to achieve that (BC using multiple cores), one small problem however: python's global interpreter lock.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:26:55 AM »
Check the graphics card setting in BC's config menu, I've found that the default is for BC to run in Transform and Lighting (T&L) mode on the card, which, on my system at least, can cause lag, change it back to the standard GPU mode. (you'll have to change it every time you start the program, it doesn't stick).  This might help.

Offline Vladko1

• Cookies: 72
  • The trekkie of steel
    • Modders of Steel Shipyards Homepage!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »
I have evidenced that it uses the gpu a little. When the textures are not for example 2048x2048 and for example are scaled to 2049x2049 there is massive lag + white surfaces, which means that gpu is being used. GPUs are with limited wide of data with the idea of processing more floating point operations. If only cpu rendered, textures like 2049x2049, 895x789 and etc should be visible ingame.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »
I have evidenced that it uses the gpu a little. When the textures are not for example 2048x2048 and for example are scaled to 2049x2049 there is massive lag + white surfaces, which means that gpu is being used. GPUs are with limited wide of data with the idea of processing more floating point operations. If only cpu rendered, textures like 2049x2049, 895x789 and etc should be visible ingame.
Another good example , for not HUGE textures.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »
Aces:  the only thing I get when I try and access that stuff in game is a re-iteration of the GPU's name.

and we all know that "huge" is a matter of opinion when it comes to the graphics card.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read