Author Topic: Merian-Class and Mogai-Type Warbird  (Read 17122 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: U.S.S. Cerberus Finally Complete
« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
So when are you going to get it converted for Bridge Commander?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
Well, I don't actually do the converting since I don't own BC.  So, it's really up to someone who's interested in seeing it in-game to convert it.  Plus, I've got the Vesta-class, which is the most accurate and highly detailed game-version available, as far as I know. 

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »
You could try your hand at the Inferno if you want to, im not gonna be able to make that ship anytime soon (probably not for another 2 and a half years)

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
Well, I don't actually do the converting since I don't own BC.  So, it's really up to someone who's interested in seeing it in-game to convert it.  Plus, I've got the Vesta-class, which is the most accurate and highly detailed game-version available, as far as I know. 

Then shouldn't this be in the 3D Art section?  This section is primarily for BC Mods.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
Then shouldn't this be in the 3D Art section?  This section is primarily for BC Mods.

The models are intended for BC, much like how FarShot and Bones are collaborating to get the models FS is making in-game and functioning. If this were originally intended for art purposes, that would've been specified much much earlier. :)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline aaron067

« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
Bingo  :thumbsup:

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
The models are intended for BC, much like how FarShot and Bones are collaborating to get the models FS is making in-game and functioning. If this were originally intended for art purposes, that would've been specified much much earlier. :)

Well, then I stand corrected and hope that someone can help you get the Cerberus ingame.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline aaron067

Re: Mulciber-Class U.S.S. Achilles
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
Presenting the early stages of my interpretation of the Mulciber-class U.S.S. Achilles, based on sketches of a Vulcan cruiser by John Eaves.  Mark Rademaker will be doing his own rendition as part of his Full Circle Fleet project, but it'll be several years before it debuts.  Because I like this design so much, I decided to turn it into a temporary Mulciber of my own.  

http://aaron067.deviantart.com/#/d4qaoi6

Offline BCAriakas

• Mesh Maniac
  • Cookies: 1
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
Great looking ship. I always loved promy in km multiplayer. If you need a hand porting it to BC, I'll be glad to help. Once again, looking good. :)

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
Orthos are now up at the above link.  I'm not quite sure what my next project will be, but here's a partial list of upcoming projects.  I'll take suggestions, if anyone's interested.

Merian-class U.S.S. Planck - by Mark Rademaker
Vulcan Cruiser - sketch by John Eaves, originally designed for Star Trek Online.
Original Enterprise F class, circa 2400
STO Non-Military Starbase Concept
STO Military Starbase
Valdore-type Warbird

I would absolutely love to see a class Valdore/Norexan/Mogai! You're an excellent modeler.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline aaron067

« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
It's going to happen (The Valdore is probably one of my all time favorite Trek ships, so I'll do her justice), but I've decided to flesh out my Federation faction in the game first.  That Vulcan cruiser was proving to be a bit too problematic in the neck area, and I wanted something easy after finishing the Cerberus, so I've switched over to the Merian Class.   

Offline aaron067

Re: Merian-Class and Mogai-Type Warbird
« Reply #231 on: June 13, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »
I haven't had much time for modeling lately, but there is a bit more to show on the Merian class.  I also got the urge to start work on one of my all-time favorite Trek ships, for which there are absolutely NO quality models and very, very few good reference pics out there at the moment.  Ultimately, the Valdore going to be a mixture of Mr. Eaves' concept sketches, the CGI model, and my own interpretation, I think.  At the moment I'm just not happy with the tip of the nose, but I'll figure something out.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
Eagerly awaiting the Merian.  Keep at it bro. :thumbsup:

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »
Nice start on the head there.  Really hope someone can help you get these in-game

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »
Real good stuff there!

Look forward to seeing more.

Offline starship

• Cookies: 6
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »
The Romulan ship alredy looks very good at this point. You got sucessfull in doing a smoothed shape. abot the nose distortion, just move manually a few verts and smooth them. I think it will solve the trouble.
I?m curious... How you built that entire piece? Splines and surface? Can you tell a bit and post a wireframe too? :)

Offline aaron067

« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:31 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far.  It may seem a bit elitist and snotty of me, but I'm waiting for someone who's very good at coding the weapons and importing into BC to express interest before I release these models.  I feel that if I put months or years of my time into making my work high quality, then I'd really rather not have a crappy job done on the non-modeling part. 

Starship:  You nailed it on the head!  I start out with a spline cage, using a background image as a guide.  Once I have the basic shape caged out I play around with the spline until get the shape and the smoothness that I want.  Once that task is accomplished I refine the splines until I have all 3- or 4-sided sub-shapes so that a surface can be applied.  Then I add an Edit Poly modifier for each task I want to do like adding details, optimizing the mesh, etc.  Below is an image of the spline cage for the Mogai head so far.  You can't tell in the spline picture, but I have 5 separate objects in the head so far.  I used to try spline caging the entire ship, but that was WAY too complicated.  So, I took a page out of DJ's book and just did small bits of the ship one at a time.  Below that is the wireframe of the Mogai and the Merian.  The Mogai is currently sitting at 1,035 polygons without much optimizing and the Merian is at 5,991.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
I volunteer Bones for your scripting needs. :P

*looks around*  Bones, where are you?  You were supposed to get back to me on the animated and transparent textures so I know whether to map the Inferno for them or not! :P

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
I volunteer Bones for your scripting needs. :P

*looks around*  Bones, where are you?  You were supposed to get back to me on the animated and transparent textures so I know whether to map the Inferno for them or not! :P

:smack: :smack: :smack:
no no no! you cant make him appear like that, you have to sacrifice a virgin chicken via podcast on the fifth thursday of the month. only then can you summon the bones  :facepalm:
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
you have to sacrifice a virgin chicken via podcast on the fifth thursday of the month. only then can you summon the bones
And that won't be until August 30!
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com