Author Topic: Merian-Class and Mogai-Type Warbird  (Read 17171 times)

Offline Saquist

• Cookies: 24
Re: 25th Century Long-Range Tactical Cruiser
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
The idea did indeed begin as a re-design of the Prometheus.  Unfortunately, the more I worked with the MVAM approach the less certain I became that it could actually work with this ship and as an engineering principle in general.  If you look back a page or two you'll see my struggle with that particular feature.  Ultimately, I just wasn't able to create two parts of the ship that both maintained an aesthetically pleasing and logical design...at least, not two parts that fit my particular design tastes.   She'll still be outfitted with the latest defensive technologies, though. When I'm done she'll pack one heck of a wallop and hopefully look beautiful doing it.

I went to see it:

I really believe that Prometheus had a good shape already. (At least for the combine sections)
It's the individual parts and how they came together that was troublesome.
-That massive separation plane between the top and bottom section was just not a good idea.
-The X Pylons shouldn't meet at all (that's metal on metal in a sensitive area for no reason) Each Pylon should come out of the middle of it's respective secondary hull (as you would see them from bow or aft)
-There bottom ship should have a separation plane like that of the Supposed Sovereign Separation instead of this wide squid like separation plane.
-The middel ship should have gotten the wide squid separation plane
-The twig like warp nacelles on the Saucer just HAVE TO GO...there is no WAY nacelles of that size can drive a ship that big at warp 9.9
(those engines should be outboard...and be incorporated into the saucer aft port and starboard and should be AT LEAST the size or mass of Defiant's coils)
-This would put the impulese engines (ala Intrepid) out on the pylons

Yes it would be a bit of radical redesign when it comes to the features but it should look much the same in the overall shape.
It should look like a combination of Defiant and Sovereign without looking like a Kitbash.  After Defiant and Sovereign were arguably supposed to be part that "NEW CLASS" of ship Sisko spoke of.  Might as well look like it was from the same Advanced Starship Project too.
That's just my take.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
Loving what we can see of the nacelle.  Looking forward to more. :thumbsup:

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »
I'm still dragging my feet with the nacelles...no new textures there yet.  But the details continue to be added.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
Out of curiousity, would there be any interest in making an "alternate texture set" eventually, with a more traditional 24th Century style?

Not that I mind the 25th Century style (not at all actually, looks pretty cool). But it would be kinda interesting to see a "Prometheus, the way it should've been", with contemporary styling :P
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline aaron067

« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »
Unfortunately, no.  I have a long list of ships that need to be done, and it takes me WAY too long to texture to justify doing something I won't ever use.  I did play around with it for a bit, but I wasn't able to come up with anything that looked like what you wanted without changing the fundamental armor pattern.  Just for the record, this texture design is based on the Vesta, which is a late 24th century ship.

Here's the product of my playing around:

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
Part of me still misses the older nacelles but those look pretty good too. :thumbsup:

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2011, 03:50:06 AM »
Very nice.

Offline aaron067

« Reply #207 on: January 01, 2012, 11:26:24 PM »
I wanted to make sure I was on point with the size of some of my details, so I made a side-by-side comparison.

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »
Nice work  :thumbsup:

Offline Captain_D

• Captain of the Seafood Universe
  • Cookies: 5
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
Very nice, matches up well. :thumbsup:

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2012, 12:14:32 AM »
I really like that ship.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline aaron067

« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments!  I've gotten a great start on the ventral side of the saucer, but I need some other opinions on adding window ports to the dorsal part of the secondary hull.  I've included a few renders with the windows added, plus another without for comparison.  Personally, I find the new windows make the ship too busy.  Also take into consideration the fact that it's mission is primarily tactical, and the additional windows seem even further out of place.  I've mostly made up my mind, but I wanted to see what others thought before I deleted them completely.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »
How about you compromise?  Have windows, but just make them circular ports, like those on the NX-01.  Allows the crew to look out, doesn't compromise hull integrity (much), gives the ship more detail, but not too much.

Offline aaron067

« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
It isn't really the practical aspect of the ship design as related to its mission that bothers me.  It's just me not liking the windows right there.  If others think there needs to be some kind of detailing in that area I can replace the windows with something technological.  Your comments did make me rethink my window shape, though.  I'll need to double check a high-res render of Mark's original Aventine model, but I'm thinking his windows were opposite mine: vertical rectangles with heavily rounded corners rather than horizontal.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
Looking at the mods so far, the windows seem to be either round portholes or vertical rectangle.  Better check Mark's actual model. :p  But I think round portholes would be a good solution.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline BFGfreak

• Cookies: 3
    • My Twitch.TV livestreaming channel
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
what about an airlock like on the connie refit? Or maybe something that looks like a hookup for a docking umbilical. It could even just be plating that looks like it covers an airlock/umbilical hookup, and slides off when in use.
In the battle of ghosts vs robots, robots always win....except in anime.
-Sarge

Offline aaron067

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
The ports on the Aventine are in fact vertical rectangles with heavily rounded corners...an oversight I'll have to correct on my Vesta-class textures when I get a chance.  I've modified the windows on the Cerberus accordingly, and I think it dialed by the clutter factor quite a bit.  Also, BFGfreak, you'll notice there's already a docking port modeled in and textured on the port and starboard side of the secondary hull.

Offline aaron067

Re: Finally Complete...mostly.
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
I've finally completed the re-envisioned Prometheus-class U.S.S. Cerberus.  I've posted some beauty shots in my deviant art gallery, but for some reason I couldn't get the spectral map to really show the contrasting hull plates like the game engine does.  I'm still figuring out that part of 3ds Max, so hopefully I can get some better ones soon.  Orthos soon to come, as well.

http://aaron067.deviantart.com/gallery/35282009

Offline Shadowknight1

Re: U.S.S. Cerberus Finally Complete
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »
Awesome!

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline aaron067

Re: U.S.S. Cerberus Finally Complete
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2012, 04:41:48 PM »
Orthos are now up at the above link.  I'm not quite sure what my next project will be, but here's a partial list of upcoming projects.  I'll take suggestions, if anyone's interested.

Merian-class U.S.S. Planck - by Mark Rademaker
Vulcan Cruiser - sketch by John Eaves, originally designed for Star Trek Online.
Original Enterprise F class, circa 2400
STO Non-Military Starbase Concept
STO Military Starbase
Valdore-type Warbird