Author Topic: Forced out of bridge view  (Read 776 times)

Offline Nordo

• Cookies: 0
Forced out of bridge view
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:56:57 AM »
Hello all!

I've done some forum searching but have failed to find a definite solution or any input for this problem of mine, and I would greatly appreciate any help of any kind.

I've been having a problem where I am constantly forced out of the bridge view and into the tactical view. When I try to return to the bridge view, I stay in that view for a random amount of time (no longer than 2 mins) and I am again forced back into the tactical view.

This problem really annoys me as I greatly enjoy playing in bridge view and looking at the wonderful work some talented modders have created.

It is difficult for me to narrow down which mod is causing the trouble; as I have been loading up my install with mods quite heavily and frequently (which would make a reinstall a massive pain in the pancreas), and this aforementioned problem does not always occur.

If I could narrow it down to anything, I would narrow it down to the War Simulator mod. The problem seems to happen when there are a number of ships (more than 4) around. It almost feels like it is some kind of scripted trigger that is supposed to bring the player's attention to something, but in this case the view focuses on nothing...Just keeps kicking my butt out of the ship! Can't seem to stop it by turning off the mod either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: Forced out of bridge view
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »
this is very bizarre; ive never heard of this error before...
when you say tactical view, you mean the view "outside" your ship?  does it happen on every ship you play?
also, can you get a console report?  i have it feeling it wont show the error tho, but it might...

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »
actually, I get that glitch if I tun the Galaxy Charts mutator back off after playing it.  my problem's usually temporary untill I restart the whole game.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Nordo

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »
Thanks for the input and quick response guys! Community tech support sure is the best way to go with these things..

JimmyB76 - It seems to happen with most ships that I play, and by tactical I do mean the outside view of the ship. Although, I also just discovered that it occurs when I am in map view as well. It kicks me out of the map and into the tactical view in the same way as before.

That's a good idea about the console! Just figured out how to use it and gave it a shot, but it doesn't seem to register any information when it occurs.

This one is hard to narrow down because it happens so randomly; I can barely recreate this bug on demand as the same conditions do not always trigger it off. I'm also starting to think that it's related to the "turn on/off ship lights" mod - I seem to have a few occurrences when i flick the lights on and off (but not all the time, ugh), and it would make sense as there is a tactical view cinematic when the lights go on and off with silent-running.

King Class Scout - I imagine that our issues are relevant, as I use the same mod (war simulator broke the traditional method of warping), however; I don't ever really turn it off or tinker with any relevant mutators. My glitch happens no matter what (but is resolved with a full restart too).

Again, thanks for the help! I'm still trying to replicate the issue 100% of the time, if I can at least do that, I may be able to narrow things down better I suppose.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »
GC does force you to tactical view but only during warping sessions. You might ask frontier if there is a chance of a glitch...
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
some mutators cancel other mutators out.  I have to run things at a minimum (like running without NanoFX).  experiment with the various mutators and see whether or not it's the  "light switch" mod.  I think I never got that one because of glitches mentioned in the comments.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »
Mutators can't cancel each other out. Script conflict can happen which prevents game from working normally but not be canceled out.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
So this issue has never been solved then? :(
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »
If you have GC installed then please do as I originally recommended ask USS Frontier for a possibility of a glitch.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
So this issue has never been solved then? :(
if a solution hasnt been posted, then no... 
also no need to bump a 4 month old thread asking for any updates :P

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »
if a solution hasnt been posted, then no... 
also no need to bump a 4 month old thread asking for any updates :P

I thought about it, but there was an equal chance that people would have jumped all over me if I started a identical thread to one that is still on the front page of the tech support section, lol. :D

Besides, I didn't really want to see another thread started by me in the tech help section. We all know that I seem to have the most problems here, LMAO. :D
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »
no worries, i was just busting your chops...

I thought about it, but there was an equal chance that people would have jumped all over me if I started a identical thread to one that is still on the front page of the tech support section, lol. :D
but half the fun is playing russian roulette! :P

Offline Nexxus21

• Commanding USS Solaris Mk-I Refit
  • Cookies: 4
  • Our Continuing Mission Of Exploration
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
I have also encountered this issue and have chalked it up to my PC and low virtual memory. I used Galaxy Charts and tested by deactivating the War simulator mod and placing ships some with timed entry and stations in various systems. This caused the issue you mentioned and a few more such as a delay when ships with timed entry were being generated the system would freeze until the ships were created and the game would unfreeze. Then as the number of ships decreased the problems also stopped. Now when I did this with the War simulator feature I had to decrease the number of ships being generated for the same reasons previously mentioned. What I believe may be causing this but can't be sure is that when the you are informed theres a battle occurring and you aren't present there are ships generated and after the battles  do the ships remain zapping system resources while new battles and ships are being generated. In some cases I believe some of these vessels may even warp out to other systems. Never the less I know my solution would be to get a new PC  :facepalm:
If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us...-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:52:09 AM »
ah yes, i get THAT all the time, too.  when a new ship pops in, allied or Enemy, the game freezes.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read