Author Topic: Hobbs's WIP  (Read 42825 times)

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
Re: Hobbs's WIP
« Reply #780 on: August 20, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
Maybe make one or two of those squares into shuttlebays?

Only thing I don't really like is the texture on the nacelle grilles. They look out of place. Bars might work better and fit the era better.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #781 on: August 20, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
This ship looks VERY interesting, gotta agree with Adam here tho, those sensor palettes needs that kind of feel Intrepid's sensor palettes had ;) they are really easy to make ;) I used to make them with my old paint ship pro 8, just use select tool, make some circlesa and rectangles, combine them into shapes then hit 3d bevel and with a little bit of editing you got yourselve a new sensor palette ;)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #782 on: August 21, 2014, 03:01:55 AM »
Cheers guys :)
Ill look at changing the nacelle texture to lines.
As for the sensor palettes (the squares).... I did that... I'm using paint shop pro7 and used the emboss tool on the circles and squares.
kcs: I tried moddelef in details but it wouldn't work in BC. I do have escape hatches though lol
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #783 on: August 21, 2014, 09:17:31 AM »
No, no emboss, it won't give you good result, you need to go to effects -> 3d -> inner bevel / outer bevel / drop shadow, really good options to add depth (but only on small areas)

Offline hobbs

« Reply #784 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
No, no emboss, it won't give you good result, you need to go to effects -> 3d -> inner bevel / outer bevel / drop shadow, really good options to add depth (but only on small areas)
ok will look at that soon as I can.

Vortex:  I have a version of the ship with modelled in shuttle bays lol so yes I had thought that... also could have weapons segments and cargo and medical bays etc...
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #785 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
*chuckle* the raised panels and the dropped in sensor panels ALONE are your signature.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline hobbs

« Reply #786 on: August 21, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
*chuckle* the raised panels and the dropped in sensor panels ALONE are your signature.
hey do you remember my special bit on the shuttle bay on the original uss survey... I might do that but on a grander scale lol

Offline Saquist

• Cookies: 24
« Reply #787 on: August 24, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
so here is my thought on the nacelle configuration:

please note this is very quick and rough.

the ducts are capped by a material that is porous under the right conditions and so allows the plasma/hydrogen flows to be active but only to the position of the nacelle.

there are primary and secondary plasma injectors and bussard collector units.

THe Problem with the original design is that it exposes nearly the entire length of PTS to weapons fire.  It's unfortunate because I would have used this for Enigma.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #788 on: August 25, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
THe Problem with the original design is that it exposes nearly the entire length of PTS to weapons fire.  It's unfortunate because I would have used this for Enigma.

What about fitting it with armor plated segments that open and close with the movement of the nacelle between impulse and warp flight positions so that the only open area is always inside the nacelle? That would keep the PTS protected whilst still allowing this concept to work.

Offline Saquist

• Cookies: 24
« Reply #789 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »
What about fitting it with armor plated segments that open and close with the movement of the nacelle between impulse and warp flight positions so that the only open area is always inside the nacelle? That would keep the PTS protected whilst still allowing this concept to work.

You mean like  portholes at specific areas that only open when the nacelle is over the valve.  I was thinking the deployable armor would solve that problem too.

Yes very good that would work nicely but the sliding track mechanism would be exposed and once that track is dented, deformed and shattered by weapons fire that nacelles won't be moving off it's current position.  That's not too bad though since the position of the nacelle should affect the ability to go into warp but merely make the bubble less efficient.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #790 on: August 28, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
you could make the plating act like a piece of paper folded to be like a spring (so the shape looks like this from the side /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ) and have it attached to the nacelle and then end of the PTS vent, obviously only leaving the part under the nacelle exposed, so for each vent, you would have two of these folded plating sections, one going from the start of the vent to the nacelle, and then one on the other side of the nacelle going to the end of the vent.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #791 on: August 31, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »
yes i believe thats what was going to happen in the redesign but the whole design was scrapped by starfleet when a new field control program was developed along with new nacelle designs...

... :D

Offline hobbs

« Reply #792 on: September 02, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
how is this?

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #793 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
Getting better but it's slightly to "zoomed in"
How do I say it, hmm. Needs to be more like how the Intrepids have it. Here's a reference.

Maybe a little more intricate.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #794 on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
And a slightly darker hue. But it is getting there.

:)

I'm happy with your progress.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #795 on: September 02, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »
Getting better but it's slightly to "zoomed in"
How do I say it, hmm. Needs to be more like how the Intrepids have it. Here's a reference.

Maybe a little more intricate.

are you saying i should make the sensor details smaller so its more compact?

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #796 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:51 PM »
Yup. More intricate and compact. Right now the details look too big.
And have some of the shapes on top of other shapes such as a rectangle, inside another or like the pic I showed you, rectangle and then two spheres on that, you can manipulate the shading to create that 3d look.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #797 on: September 03, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
I'd also add that you might want to make them all non-uniform. And add some drop shadow.

How I would do it (if I did not have photoshop) would be to make the panels in max (or Gmax) sepertaly, light them and render them out to give them depth. Then paste them on to your hull texture.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #798 on: September 03, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
I agree...if those are supposed to be sensor plates, the greebles need to be smaller.  I think Baz tried to teach me the technique he mentioned.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #799 on: September 03, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
You're on good track, just as everyone else said, you need to make details smaller and perhaps throw some toned down reds and yellows (as for indication lines / signs) and it will look right ;)