Author Topic: Hobbs's WIP  (Read 43304 times)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: Hobbs's WIP
« Reply #760 on: July 20, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »
the thing that has me stumped is my basic inability to do a true representation of a tng hull. I am looking at reference pics as you suggest but im just better (slightly less bad) at doing my own designs be it ships or textures.

I guess my main question is... can i get away with my own hull style or should i try to emulate the tng style
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #761 on: July 21, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »
I'd say do your own thing.
The ship is small enough that the standard TNG plating would probably look out of place anyway.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #762 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
Alternatively, if it's that small you could take a look at the Defiant. It doesn't have visible grid lines and plating as such. At least not to anywhere near the same extent. It's a fairly smooth shell.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #763 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
i wad hoping you guys would say that :D
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #764 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »
Yup, I agree. Let us see what you can do. It's your design, I'm sure it'll be great.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #765 on: July 21, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »
well this is what i have so far (aztec/hull wise) its not finished... i think i want to change the colours and maybe the whole lot lol

yes i see the issue with the green light lol but what do you guys think about the saucer and other parts i changed?

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #766 on: July 21, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »
I like it so far but what's the purpose of the dark gray squares.

Offline KrrKs

« Reply #767 on: July 22, 2014, 07:01:38 AM »
saucer looks good so far.
I would probably reduce the width of the gray grid lines, and give it a darker colour instead.

Are you planning to extend the blue 'spots' pattern to the saucer as well? Or maybe use the saucer aztecing also for the engineering hull?
One of those, or both might be good, so there is more continuity between the ship's-parts.
Otherwise the two parts look like they do not really belong to the same ship.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #768 on: July 22, 2014, 07:14:07 AM »
the parts dont mach because im working on the saucer at the min lol
yes will use saucer aztec for rest of ship.

the grey squares will be sensors.
the saucer segments  will be different for different mision criteria .
I'm thinking shuttle bays cargo bays medical decks etc.. ..

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #769 on: July 22, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »
Looking good but... I think the grey squares are a bit to large. Seems to me that it throws off the "balance" of the ship somewhat.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #770 on: August 06, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »
ok so ive changed the textures for the Nova Concept... feel like ive cheated a bit as i used a base aztec that i think baz gave me long ago (if it wasnt baz sorry to who it was) this is NOT finished im still working on it :)

No Specular:

Specular:

At Warp (with specular):

Offline KrrKs

« Reply #771 on: August 07, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »
Looks great!

Offline hobbs

« Reply #772 on: August 11, 2014, 03:46:41 AM »
thank you (sorry just got back from Bloodstock festival so haven't been able to check the form)
hoping to get more done on her soon

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #773 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »

Offline hobbs

« Reply #774 on: August 14, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »

Offline hobbs

« Reply #775 on: August 16, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »
right well here are some update pics, however she is still not quite finished:

and i have some semblance of a light :)

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #776 on: August 19, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »
Really shaping up Hobbs! Great work!

I would like to make a comment though that I feel the squares on the dorsal saucer IMO look better beveled out instead of in. Also, I think you should probably add some more smoothing to the squares... maybe just a few more polygons?

Offline hobbs

« Reply #777 on: August 19, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »
i'll see what i can do :)

here is an update though:

im not sure if the escape pod hatches are too big... i went by the size of the voyager ones in relation to voyager windows

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #778 on: August 20, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »
you've got your groove on with this one ("in the Zone")  it's just not your ships without some modeled in details.

the bridge module looks like it need some details, you might wanna dim down the running lights a bit (the red side looks a bit too orange), and are the busards supposed to be not lit?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #779 on: August 20, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »
I like the hull plating texture. It's very nice. The hues are very Fed, as I mentioned long ago, not too fond of the struts going through the warp grill. Just seems out of place to me. Would have been better to wrap underneath the warp engines and out again as opposed to through. But I know you like it that way so it's ok :)

As others mentioned the lights are a bit too much, too big and too bright.

The squares that everyone keeps mentioning, can you make them into sensor palettes like the Intrepid has in it's frontal saucer section, I think a  retexturing of the squares into sensor palettes goes a long way to giving those squares a purpose. Could be like a long range scout with heavy sensor equipment on board or something.

As for everything else I think it's on point, I like it.

Whichever way you decide to go, as always, you are getting better and better. It shows with each model. Your textures are improving as well. Well done.

Adam out