Author Topic: Hobbs's WIP  (Read 43300 times)

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
Re: Hobbs's WIP
« Reply #740 on: March 30, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
Nevertheless I like it.

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #741 on: March 30, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
so here is my thought on the nacelle configuration:

please note this is very quick and rough.

the ducts are capped by a material that is porous under the right conditions and so allows the plasma/hydrogen flows to be active but only to the position of the nacelle.

there are primary and secondary plasma injectors and bussard collector units.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #742 on: March 31, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »
(put a smile back on my face)

We could soon fix that. :p

Nacelle internals look good.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #743 on: March 31, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »
 :yeahthat:
We could soon fix that. :p

Nacelle internals look good.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #744 on: March 31, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
two people need a poke in the eye i feel  :evil:
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #745 on: March 31, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
Lmfao. Lol
Just kidding :D

Offline hobbs

« Reply #746 on: March 31, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
 :D

Offline Saquist

• Cookies: 24
« Reply #747 on: April 06, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
Hobbs,

An Engineering & RD perspective.
Concept
The Nova was a concept born in the 80's when Aircraft Research and Development had determined that one of the best ways to have both the Delta Wing configuration and high maneuverability fighter jets was the variable wing F-14 Tomcat.  The Delta wing was determined to be the best for High Speed (Supersonic) while the Albatross Wing would be better for dog fighting and low fuel consumption. 

The hard part is attempting to make this analogous to Nova Class concept and eventually the Intrepid class.  The question is: What does movement of the nacelles actually accomplish?  There is nothing canon to draw from.  The F-14 analogy would have to mean that Intrepid was using it's nacelles as high maneuverability at sub warp and tucking it's nacelles close behind the saucer for speeds 3x faster than Galaxy.  That would fit the information at hand that Intrepid was made for close combat support such as its mission in the Badlands against Maquis raiders where larger and more lumbering ships like the Galor quickly met ill fates.

Pivoting vs Track

Nova uses a track system to slide the nacelle from maneuverability positions to a speed position close to the body.
-Realize that if the nacelles aren't directly behind the body the benefits of the repositioning is reduced.
-A Track system is exposed and susceptible to failure taking weapons fire.  Deformation in the hull over a large surface area could prevent the track from operating at any and every point. (this would have to be a non combat role)
-The Track system wouldn't need a permeable hull on the pylons.  We have valves today which interlock with modular position and redirect fluids (in this case super-fluid ) and close when disengaged. 
-A permeable Hull wouldn't allow for high speed plasma transit unless it was phased and that would mean there would be no way to confine the plasma and direct it into the nacelle.  It would just leak into space indiscriminately.

Intrepid uses a set of interlocking valves and likely they are redundant along it's articulation axis to mange damage.  While not shown damage to Intrepid's articulation frame would not be immediately deleterious as it's components are mostly internal and cover less surface area than the Track method.

Collapsing Pylon

What I had intended to do with Enigma was to make the pylons extendable and retractable much like the Docking Clamps of Galaxy Class ships.  In other words periscoping.  While in combat it's more of a problem than track sliding systems and articulation, it has the benefit of protecting those sensitive surfaces when withdrawn into the hull if shields fail still allowing the ship to achieve high speeds once the defenses are compromised.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #748 on: June 01, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »
Thank you saquist, very informative.

just need to say that while it may never have been a very good design idea it was (to me) cool so i chose to try and do the ship that was described in the TNG: tech manual.

its a model im proud of and i hope to get it up and running soon. Real life has taken over recently but soon i may be continuing my BC work.

thanks again

Offline hobbs

« Reply #749 on: July 17, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
Hi all

Here is my Nova Concept... im trying to get a more tng feel to the textures but i think i need some advice lol

and specular attempt

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #750 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »
I recommend some Buzzard Collector Grills, usually brownish mustard color.

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #751 on: July 18, 2014, 05:43:57 AM »
I recommend some Buzzard Collector Grills, usually brownish mustard color.

Yeah, this!
Also, the typical TNG Starfleet logo with red stripes along the back.

Have you already decided, where to place windows and Escape-pods?

(Nitpicking:) The docking ports, below the BridgeModule, on deck 2(?) are rotated strangely.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #752 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
You've got your port and starboard lights the wrong way around. As for textures, maybe look into the colours used on the Galaxy Class model.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class_model

I also second the above about the stripes. TNG series logo would be good if you're shooting for that era.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #753 on: July 18, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
*chuckle* he's right...red running lights are on the left sides.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline hobbs

« Reply #754 on: July 18, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »
cheers :)

@adam: im not sure what you mean... do you mean the bronze bit on the nacelles here:>

@Krrks: yep about the logos etc... i was more meaning the saucer section "aztec". The ports are in those places cause i liked the look :D lol as for escape pods and windows... if you check out the early pics they were modeled in... but it made the shim like 15000+ polys lol

@Vortex and KCS: Damn it thank you i never even noticed lol

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #755 on: July 18, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
I think he means the brass part where it glows blue.

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #756 on: July 18, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
I thought you meant the aft section...

How about some RCS-thrusters, and some deflector-grid lines.

Is the sauce-base colour supposed to be different from the aft, or is this just now so?

As for aztecing: If the ship is supposed to be early TNG, I feel the panels are too small.
But your current aztec-pattern would also give great sensor-pallets, I believe.
Where are these supposed to go anyway?

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #757 on: July 18, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »
The yellow ones. And is it your intention not to follow the usually warp grill textures lines?

Offline hobbs

« Reply #758 on: July 18, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »
The yellow ones. And is it your intention not to follow the usually warp grill textures lines?

it was but that can be changed

-----------------------------
sorry all i think i was unclear on what i was asking, basically this is the start point of my textures, im working on the saucer sections at the moment but i cant seem to make them TNG. the rest of the ship is mainly place holder textures.

I will be adding windows and escape pods and other details but i thought id try and figure out the main hull textures first.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #759 on: July 18, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »
Well, what will escape pods be, the windows in TNG are long oval shaped like Galaxy Classes.
Take a look at the Aztec design of other TNG ships.

Idk what else to suggest, unless you want pictures, but that you can do yourself. :-/

What seems to be confusing? Or what's got you stumped.