Author Topic: Hobbs's WIP  (Read 43892 times)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: Hobbs's WIP
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2012, 05:04:52 PM »
I hear you Adonis

but why are you guys all assuming i don't know this stuff? i'm trying to learn which as you say takes time so give me some credit and stop assuming i gave up the moment i loaded paintshop pro onto the computer.

a bit of encouragement wouldn't go a miss lads
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
I hear you Adonis

but why are you guys all assuming i don't know this stuff? i'm trying to learn which as you say takes time so give me some credit and stop assuming i gave up the moment i loaded paintshop pro onto the computer.

a bit of encouragement wouldn't go a miss lads

I'm just stating facts. The encouragement in them lies within telling you how to change it.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »
here's what we have to work with, gents.  we use Gmax, there's no texture exporter with it, the default size is only 256, and I have to snatch the UV's from nifskope.  believe me, hobbs knows how to work gmax a LOT better than I do, but it still does this to us

everything is layered on top of each othr, and you can't edit the UV in unwrap mode without having all the connected verts for each piece picked individually.  it's too hard to tell what's where in a giant jumble of lines and squares.

Believe me, Phoe, I grabbed one of those poor things and I'm dying to fix it :P
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline EDD_7

• Cookies: 24
  • Also Known As Mr_7 :P
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
Hobbs, i can give you a few pointers to how to get started with texturing :). I started out really bad but i learnt quick and even i'm suprised with how far i've come. Obviously i have no experiance with modeling or UV mapping but i can texture. Give me a shout if you want some tips and programs to use.

Practice make perfect though.  :thumbsup:

Offline hobbs

« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
please dude any help would be great

and while i'm not a DJ or co in the modelling department i also have seen a vast improvement over the last 6 months or so.
so i can give you tips on modelling (though i'm only skilled in Gmax at the moment)
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
It's not easy...looking back at my Steamrunner re-texture, I could have done a LOT better than I did...And mapped out the ID texture for ID swapping a bit better also.  Right now I'm in the process of learning how to model (on my own free time and that's hardly free anymore :S) And I started with something simple: (Ok that's a lie...I started with the Luna and then realized how much of a n00b I was so I went with...) My TARDIS.  And I'm getting better at texturing also.  All I'm saying is....keep it up.  It might not be much at the moment, but it's a start!

Your best bet as far as textures...would be to look at the tutorials on Scifi-Meshes and go from there...I learned how to make rust rings from that site, as well as certain types of hull Texturing, which is what I'm going to use once I start the First Contact pack again.  Ooh and once I finish my Luna too :D
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »
Gmax is much more limited in terms of UV mapping, but it has enough of the basics that you really don't have an excuse.  Read this tutorial.

http://www.studio-erebus.com/studio/tutorials/2003/uvw/uvw-dice.html

I've taken a look at the UV mapping on the Survey and the way it was modeled, and with an hour or two of work, you can UV map it just fine.

By the way, it was literally the first thing on google when I entered "gmax uvw mapping".  The part about clicking "select faces", then filtering in the edit window by selected faces is all you need to know to get pass that "all the faces are layered up".

Offline hobbs

« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2012, 06:31:20 AM »
Gmax is much more limited in terms of UV mapping, but it has enough of the basics that you really don't have an excuse.  Read this tutorial.

http://www.studio-erebus.com/studio/tutorials/2003/uvw/uvw-dice.html

I've taken a look at the UV mapping on the Survey and the way it was modeled, and with an hour or two of work, you can UV map it just fine.

By the way, it was literally the first thing on google when I entered "gmax uvw mapping".  The part about clicking "select faces", then filtering in the edit window by selected faces is all you need to know to get pass that "all the faces are layered up".

yes as i told kcs i have figured that out now i just didn't know how to get them to stay as i wanted them lol but yeah i can now separate the faces to alleviate that overlapping problem... thats what i have been doing with the scorpion... obviously missed the part kcs showed... but its fixed now i think

and i'm not trying to make excuses... and you guys are coming down on me about this incredibly heavy... strange it never happened when SFRD had a bigger team.
cheers for the advice though.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
We're not coming down on you... It's called helping...., I might be slightly harsh, but I don't believe pussy footing around, blunt truth is best :P Before baz did 99% of the work and didn't need that much help, but with him gone, like you said yourself

i struggle due to lack of skill and knowledge.

So that's what we are doing.....

Offline hobbs

« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
fair enough

thank you i'll keep trying

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
actually, we can both use that.  I've started actually fiddling with the modeling part, myself, now.  I hope to have enough skill to make my Era X independence And Voyager-type King classes that I came up with in high school.

oh, don't forget, neither me nor hobbs has Photoshop (we're talking about a thousand dollar program, here, after all) when it comes to texturing.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
Gimp isn't that hard to master, and it's a very good alternative.  I use it myself.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
here is an update.

with advice from EDD77 i have produced the following:

note: only the saucer

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »
oh, don't forget, neither me nor hobbs has Photoshop (we're talking about a thousand dollar program, here, after all) when it comes to texturing.
Or a few hundred if you are a student.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline hobbs

« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
Or a few hundred if you are a student.

and i'm out of work and not a student and have no money.

WileyCoyote: nothing to say about my attempt then?

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »
WileyCoyote: nothing to say about my attempt then?

Is there a way to have the overall hull plating follow the curvature of the saucer?
-use a different font (more era specific)

Comparing to your last few pics of this ship's texturing, so far it's a good improvement. Subtlety is the key. Faint overall hull detail is best, with hints of additional detail, and the speculars bring it out.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »
thing is, we need the actual font  i have no idea what to look for, really.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
thing is, we need the actual font  i have no idea what to look for, really.

http://www.talshiar.org/Fonts/

youll find it there ;)
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline hobbs

« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
thank you

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
One other thing: don't use patterns on the hull. The only patterning type I used for BC models where of two type: grids or a pattern I did for mechanical parts (before I started doing them by hand - a lot better and cleaner looking that way).

Instead, any paint program that has layers makes your life easy as hell with doing aztecs. If you really want to, add the overlay patterns to the specular map, not the diffuse, it will look a lot better and more believable that way ;) And don't make Federation ships specular maps grayscale, that fits late Romulans the best, and to an extent the Klingons, but use colors (from opaque shades to the ones that really stand out, depending on what you want to accomplish). Add to that what Wiley said about subtlety.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.