Author Topic: Cast Shadows and Normal Maps  (Read 770 times)

Offline furswift

• Cookies: 53
Cast Shadows and Normal Maps
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »
Shadows and normal mapping are two things I think nearly everyone would like to see added to Bridge Commander. I know that in order to add these things, the engine needs to be modified, which violates the end user agreement of the software. Would it be possible to get written permission to modify the engine from Activision and/or Totally Games? Would they even care about revealing the source code for an eight year old engine?

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: Cast Shadows and Normal Maps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »
This has been attempted by members here before and its usually just fallen through. With Excalibur slowly making its way over the horizon, modifying BC to this extent wouldn't serve an overall point.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: Cast Shadows and Normal Maps
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »
Would it be possible to get written permission to modify the engine from Activision and/or Totally Games? Would they even care about revealing the source code for an eight year old engine?
ya, i hate to tell ya but we have been barking up that tree since early 2003 with no luck lol
and many many times has it been tried...  i can say with full confidence we will never be granetd legal permission to alter the exe or ever be granted the source code...
oh, if only...  possibilities would be endless for BC...
ah well, hence Excalibur...