Author Topic: BC booster addon?  (Read 831 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
BC booster addon?
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
I may have found a booster for BC on older or less mem loaded comps.

I was reading through a faq for yet another Activision brand game with notorious memory leak problems.  Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines (which, apparently, has as many, if not more problems as BC does). I have the previous game in the line (VtM:Redemption), and wanted to read the plot.  I ran into this performance booster first thing in the faq.

to the shortcut properties (where you manually add the "-TestMode" line) add -heapsize XXXXXX.  the X's are half your mem size.  i put this in, and had less trouble than usual with some ships that have a high poly/mesh count (ships/ship packs over 10 meg compressed generally make me hitch).  can someone else try this out to see if it works?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
Re: BC booster addon?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »
hmmmm, sounds promiseing, might be good but cant right yet, I dont have that big ships.
Shouldnt be to bad since I use Mleo's logging tool more now, than the console reports. Have to give it a go.

you said the Xs are half your Memory is that your ram.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
for me, it's mostly Baz's newer ships, or those that use a lot of different meshes.  a couple betas I've tested give me giga slowdowns.  even Vladko's Yorktowns behave a bit.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:59:20 PM »
Just thought , We dont need really High ships for the test, just major disruptor\pulse and torpedo fire , every single one is a texture, the computer most display and keep track of.

I'll be honest here, I got 2gb ram , but my math is terrible, and I've always had a rough time going from gb to mb, so Help me out what would I write in -heapsize???????????.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:55:10 AM »
1024 MB is 1 GB
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:02:36 AM »
Ok so first I'll post my system specs here to give everyone an idea of how BC normally runs for me:

Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athalon 64 Single Core 2.2GHz
2GB of RAM
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 GPU

With all the high-poly 2048 texture stuff my install doesn't do well for very long with NanoFX 2. I tested this fix on an install with NFX 2 and low poly models first in a pretty large Borg battle and got pretty good results, afterwords I moved onto a second install with higher poly models and no NFX 2. I ran 3 of Lint's Negh'var's against 2 DJ Venture's and me in the CG Sovereign and didn't notice any slowdown at all. As soon as that was over I decided to up the ante and added another Negh'var and Venture. Game still did excellent. I also have both of those installs with the CE Background pack and run it with the KM star field and both are set to 32 bit color depth so I think it's safe to say this fix works.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
Tiq: actually, you have to specify the BYTES, not the megabytes.  a 2 gig ram would require "-heapsize 1000000"  note that there is a space between heapsize and the number !  Also, I have to run in high mode for everything, otherwise, my install strangely crashes if I switch to "low" or "medium" format.

again, the game from which this tip came is by activision and uses even the same "console" format (setting up ~ as a console report device).  it is basically a rushed public beta with numerous patches added.

I believe I have figured out why the numerous crashes with high poly ships have occured. the game was developed on ME/2k machines, sold on early XP SP1's.  almost all ships have been developed on user machines with a minimum of Vista in mind.

Edit: Vladko's Yorktowns still crash despite this trick.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read