Author Topic: P-Star's new livery.  (Read 1395 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
P-Star's new livery.
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
after being informed that my ship schemes aren't getting any attention, I've decided to do some recolours of Bussards, etc.  i'd like some color combos that would so with some ships.  hull colour suggestions won't be turned away, either.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: P-Star's new livery.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »
no one ever tried using mix of almost totally washed out colors or almost white ;) maybe you should try hm ?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »
LOL!!  whadaya think I was told about...they're too washed out for people's tastes :P
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:09:02 PM »
no way :funny I thought they're to bright (USS Sulu in example)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
actually, I was refering to:

OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:39:25 PM »
I was just thinking, perhaps you could add some non-Fed hull markings to the saucer, similar to what the Mirror Universe did to their ships in Enterprise. You could use a different colour and also make the the Constitution more alien in appearance.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
how about browning it a bit (hull) the way NX appeard, slap some custom P-star fleet logos and maybe use black bussards with orange tint in centre, lighten up the deflector with orange and white, misty-blue/ violet or washed out orange/white on nacelles that should work fine

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
slap some custom P-star fleet logos

Thats what I said. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
slap some custom P-star fleet logos

Thats what I said. :P
and I seconded that :P

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
for now, untill I learn something significant with 3dsmax, the models themselves should stay put.  if Baz wasn't so confusingly FAST with his directions...

I tend to partially strip markings off.  the original ships in my head use nearly only their own shape to identify them.

you guys will like these two, then.  I've allready had some fun with the P81 galaxy (i've changed the Bussard tip colour).  it this what some of you had in mind?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:39 PM »
Try looking at SNS Trinculo beige/red deflector ;) as for nacelles I think even brighter orande almost beige would be better, bussards are fine for me ;)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
I need to take a screen shot of the updated nacelles.  the bussard's been flamed orange, and I brightened the plasma vents.  i tried Vladko's little "light the phaser strips" bit.  think I'll pull em off.  i made em tacky instead of subtle
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 05:00:13 AM »
I agree if these are refit alien captures then the radical paint job would be best suited if the hull markings (ship id's and pendants) that belong to the p-star race were included in the paint job (after all if they have too galaxy classes parked next to each which one would a new crew member get on?).

Perhaps look at the mirrior universe  star fleet vessals. They are not to dramaticly changed (the odd splash of blood red and the terran earth pendant) but that makes them stand out against the Prime verse Fed ships.

I think less is more in some cases.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 07:48:30 AM »
the hard part is choosing a pallette (i tend to pick colors before patterns), and I naturally lean towards neutrals and earth tones, so the Globali do as well (that's the P-star name for themselves)
P-Star is the name OF the starfleet service.  the actual Globali are like the Xindi, a polymorphic species with their home planet in common.

glad to know that people like the subtle hull colors (it's actually a universal color overlay of yellow-Orange set to 25% saturation).  there ARE badges for P-Star.  they're on the Gabriel's nacelles.  their weapons are ultraviolet based (and thus, a distinct shade of deep purple or red-violet), and thus are the most noticeable identifying factor of a P-Star ship.  but deep purple splashes on a tan hull would be downright tacky, and a pastel version of the colour would be downright fruity!

I'll prep some nacelle samples.

Edit: here's the samples, using my failure skin on the stock Nebula
top: the scheme I originally wanted to use
Middle: what I pretty much settled for
bottom: federation reverse (came up with this one last night)
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:28:31 AM »
hmm, don't really like the saturation on hull...it's too cheesy, maybe try something more gray... now I have cool idea for you :D Corellian Corvette CR80 - hull : wide range of grey, white, beige, dusty pale brown and washed red, impulse drive yellowish-beige(but almost white and bright), warp engines vents : flame (white/yellow/orange/red -via repeated gradient) that would be great

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
you do know, of course, that the texture was only applied to the nacelle itself.  and I suggest you keep that pattern to yourself.  I think George Lucas is copyright happy, if you know what I mean (and I'm STILL trying to figure out the exact color of Diplomatic Red he used)

btw, if anyone has an idea for an aztec, I'll take that, too.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
oh well you asked for ideas, I give you ideas but since I should keep em to myself... then ok, that pattern is pretty common afterall. The red he used for it is a blend of washed red with addition of brown and orange (I remember I read about it somewhere on wookiepedia)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
my apologies, but I don't trust not to get a "cease and Desist" letter from LucasArts if I try that. i hate lawyers...

a differentiation pattern would be a challenge, as I don't have a pattern in mind when I think of this collective species.  i am gonna put more badges on, however, and I have a "makeup" color (blame that on diane carey.  she called it makeup in Best Destiny) now that people will be able to see.

btw, any suggestion for a bussard color?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
I liked that orange one ;)
Trust me, I highly doubt Lucas would bother to sue you for using colors ;)

and here's an example of what I've been thinking

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »
Looks like the start of a UPS retexture.