Author Topic: Bumping up my PC  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Bumping up my PC
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 05:12:46 AM »
actually, i tried that.  downgrading the graphics now causes INSTANT BSOD!

motion blur and space dust have always been off, i had to kill the Skinning and Damaging tool for the SNS galaxies, i have only the stock stations, and there ARE no bridges, now.

and I'm STILL getting heavy skips and lag when running any JJverse ships.

thing is, I'm running a Celeron 440 at 2 gig speed, a gig of ram, and I'm STILL overloaded!

Bin the celeron mate. A core 2 duo e8400 is a far superior cpu. 3 ghz as standard but I currently have mine sat at 3.6ghz on standard air cooler with no volt mods! runs almost as cool as it does at 3ghz too. Lovely little cpu that I heartily recommend. Another gig of ram couldn't hurt either IMO.

My first pc was a pentium 166mmx with 16mb of ram and a 4mb S3trio with windows 95. Was capable of running MDK, swiv 3d and little else life was good for 7 year old CO :)
That was 1996-2001. It was then given to my uncle Dave who still uses her to this very day!

in 2001 I prevailed on my mum who prevailed on my old man it was time to upgrade. 'twas a special rig this one. A 1ghz AMD athlon T-bird with 128mb of ram and a 32mb Geforce2 mx400 running windows ME :P
Ran MDK2 and BC just about managing 2 CG sovs and stock everything else.  Splintercell refused to install and serious sam didn't go too well. Sadly swiv3d never got that much deserved sequel. Life was okish for 12 year old CO.  :)

That thing ran until about a year ago when my parents decided to bin it and get a new one with a shiny shiny dual core E6550 and 2 gig of ram. That's all I know about that one.

About the same time I constructed my own colossus. the E8400 (O/c to 3.6ghz) with 2 gb of ram and a 512mb ATI4850.
Runs like a dream except when she crashes while running BC. Which is incredibly far more often than even the T-Bird! And I very much doubt it's down to heat issues with the pc remaining fully functional after the crash.
Life now sucks for 20 year old CO  :'(
What did you use to overclock your E8400 ??? It would be cool to get mine to 3.6 :D

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 08:57:46 AM »
good greif, you people are being a little TOO serious about this :P

remember, these are not custom made machines I've had, these are mostly off-the-shelf units.  I've allready had Candle review the whole thing.  neither of my older comps could be updated in this day and age, and the, even when NEW they couldn't have, either.  and yet, i still did. 

our first comp went through three modems to to a strong tendancy to get either struck by lightning, or be victims of multiple brownouts.  our Electric service provider has a horrendous reputation, and only recently has been able to afford to physically update the lines and poles to something modern.  being stalled in returning electrical power for ten days during the big blizzard in the winter of 92/93 ruined what little was left of their reputation.  i was told the idiots came out, saw all the pole lights on out our way from farmers running generators, and thought everything was fine  :wtf

i remind the European and Britisher BCers...america can't get parts as easily and cheaply as you can.  everything we get for parts literally comes over on a slow boat from China, including automotive parts.  I also remind you that most everything in america is made to be disposable.  this attitude prevails even though we've pretty much lost all manufacturing ability to cheaper overseas costs.  this is why you poor buggers get saturated with American culture, TV, and movies...it's the ONLY thing we have left to sell :P

that said...I have allready gone over this with Candle.  unfortunately, I've been out of work since APRIL, and had to scrap EVERYTHING to get some basic living money.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »
he is right, one is a socket370/slot1 rig, one is socket 478 with Intel 845G and no AGP slot. The other with the 440 has a blow cap so the board is blown, but that board also only supports 65nm CPU's so the best it can run is a QX6800, but newegg only carries up to the Celeron 1500 in 65nm. There isnt a viable upgrade route to go here besides total system replacement

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »
geek overload!  yeah.  I'll translate.

the first dates from at least 1995, the second from no later than 2001  candle can give precise dates.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »
lol first one is from around 1998, only support 66mhz BUS. Second is from mid 2002.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 06:44:03 AM »
actually, i tried that.  downgrading the graphics now causes INSTANT BSOD!

motion blur and space dust have always been off, i had to kill the Skinning and Damaging tool for the SNS galaxies, i have only the stock stations, and there ARE no bridges, now.

thing is, I'm running a Celeron 440 at 2 gig speed, a gig of ram, and I'm STILL overloaded!

Bin the celeron mate. A core 2 duo e8400 is a far superior cpu. 3 ghz as standard but I currently have mine sat at 3.6ghz on standard air cooler with no volt mods! runs almost as cool as it does at 3ghz too. Lovely little cpu that I heartily recommend. Another gig of ram couldn't hurt either IMO.

My first pc was a pentium 166mmx with 16mb of ram and a 4mb S3trio with windows 95. Was capable of running MDK, swiv 3d and little else life was good for 7 year old CO :)
That was 1996-2001. It was then given to my uncle Dave who still uses her to this very day!

in 2001 I prevailed on my mum who prevailed on my old man it was time to upgrade. 'twas a special rig this one. A 1ghz AMD athlon T-bird with 128mb of ram and a 32mb Geforce2 mx400 running windows ME :P
Ran MDK2 and BC just about managing 2 CG sovs and stock everything else.  Splintercell refused to install and serious sam didn't go too well. Sadly swiv3d never got that much deserved sequel. Life was okish for 12 year old CO.  :)

That thing ran until about a year ago when my parents decided to bin it and get a new one with a shiny shiny dual core E6550 and 2 gig of ram. That's all I know about that one.

About the same time I constructed my own colossus. the E8400 (O/c to 3.6ghz) with 2 gb of ram and a 512mb ATI4850.
Runs like a dream except when she crashes while running BC. Which is incredibly far more often than even the T-Bird! And I very much doubt it's down to heat issues with the pc remaining fully functional after the crash.
Life now sucks for 20 year old CO  :'(
What did you use to overclock your E8400 ??? It would be cool to get mine to 3.6 :D

The bios matey ;)
And with a standard intel cooler it's as solid as a rock. Although I've kept it down to 3.5 just to be sure!
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
actually, i tried that.  downgrading the graphics now causes INSTANT BSOD!

Ran MDK2 and BC just about managing 2 CG sovs and stock everything else.  Splintercell refused to install and serious sam didn't go too well. Sadly swiv3d never got that much deserved sequel. Life was okish for 12 year old CO.  :)

Life now sucks for 20 year old CO  :'(

The bios matey ;)
And with a standard intel cooler it's as solid as a rock. Although I've kept it down to 3.5 just to be sure!
Thx mate, I'll check it out ASAP ;)

milenent

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »
If you want to rub BC well you need powerful graphic card somewhere about Ati Radeon X1950 (I have ASUS AH3450 512MB) to run it smoothly. The VGA mustn't be Integrated because when you are using Integrated VGA you're wasting memory and processor power. and you'll need about 2.66GhZ Dual Core processor (I have Pentium 4 Hyper Threated)and at least 2GB RAM (I have 1GB). The next thing you need could look funny but it's very important. the HDD. You need at least SATA HDD with 4MB cache so bc will load textures faster (phasers, torpedoes, pulse). If you don't have enough money to buy new hardware you can always overclock (do not follow me cause I've already burned out 3 computers (about 130$ all).

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »
lol...

Candle gave me an extensive list of bump up items, and I believe it included what you mentioned.  i just tried to throw in a little extra memory, and found the mem i do have doesn't physically fit, by a couple millimeters difference.

I doubt I'm eve gonna get a chance to pump my PC the way I want.  my parents are coming up short on their bills.  when I get back to work, I'm probably gonna have to take over a few of them, just to give em a hand.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »
lol...

Candle gave me an extensive list of bump up items, and I believe it included what you mentioned.  i just tried to throw in a little extra memory, and found the mem i do have doesn't physically fit, by a couple millimeters difference.

I doubt I'm eve gonna get a chance to pump my PC the way I want.  my parents are coming up short on their bills.  when I get back to work, I'm probably gonna have to take over a few of them, just to give em a hand.

Let's have a whiparound for KCS :P
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 04:17:28 PM »
he can have my X850.  :funny
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

danthius

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
if it makes you feel any better i have a AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor with (RAM) 5,00 GB and a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT i set everything High in bc but if i destroyed 4 or 5 vessels in BC it crashes to desktop...... :(

Offline martyr

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 11:21:21 AM »
thats probably a mod error rather than a hardware fault

danthius

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
i dont think so when i install km i have the problem already if you want to read the history on that search all my post would appriciate a solution for this :D