Author Topic: Saucer reskin review  (Read 808 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Saucer reskin review
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »
I'm working on a saucer reskin for a P-Star captured Connie for myself.  due to the original being a rather complicated airbrush job, I can't just erase the old registry without causing nasty damage to the appearance of the original (which is Mediocer to begin with)

I slapped together a quick improv, and would like an opinion.

OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Re: Saucer reskin review
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
I'd tone down the gradient a bit.  the overall surface should be off white.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
should it be more beige than plain white ? other than that I would tone down that gradient and maybe make plate outlines more visible.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:23:13 PM »
it's very hard to tell because of the now questionable quality of pre-restoration OS episodes.  everybody sees a different shade of grey or white.  even book scources disagree, and, according to a pic I saw on an earlier post, even the Shooting Model of the enterprise is variably colored.

once scource i read states that the color is "Thermal Grey"

i had to use gradients due to the limitations of my art program, though I did count the number of rays on the original to get it right.  the rings, however, were zero black and Grey 64 in overlay mode.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »
Well I got used to original TOS beige hull rather than remastered one, even in 'Trials and Tribble-ations' and 'In a Mirror, Darkly' hulls were beige so I guess this will be proper color

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »
Doug Drexler did an article about this not too long ago. link

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »
you beat me to it, I was going to post that article but it took me a while to remember where I saw it. :P

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »
for those who don't want to be bothered with the article, it's a nearly neutral grey with a very slight green tint to compensate for the blue-biased film of the time.  in otherwords, the ONLY exact match on BC is most likely JLStudios Daedalus.  and it looks like i damn near hit it on the nose.

if I could have used a better setup for the concentric rings, i would have.  but I'm limited to my art program's settings.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 01:43:50 AM »
for those who don't want to be bothered with the article, it's a nearly neutral grey with a very slight green tint to compensate for the blue-biased film of the time.  in otherwords, the ONLY exact match on BC is most likely JLStudios Daedalus.  and it looks like i damn near hit it on the nose.

if I could have used a better setup for the concentric rings, i would have.  but I'm limited to my art program's settings.
I'm shocked, I always thought it's a pale beige color and now it turns to be navy grey :? but WTH same thing happens with refit, colors on screen looks 180 degrees different than they appear to be...

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 04:29:41 AM »
it should be a light grey as it is based on US naval ships of the 60's

I have attached the best source I could find for the saucer. These pics were taken at the start of the smithsonian restoration of the big model. The order from Paramount was to not touch the top of the saucer so this pics shows the model the way it was filmed in during the series.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »
it really IS a green tinted grey!  and the font IS a "football uniform" job!
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
okay, I've created a new saucer skin in the vein of the other one (and a happy coincindence gave me a bussard backing :D), but now I've got a real challenge...trying to create a registry spot with paintshop :P

here's the new saucer top
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
thats good work, throw in an aztec  ;)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
cheers.  allready did.  had to base it on the shading that was allready on the model, though, for consistancy.

PS cookied for the compliment.  one for the road.  stay safe.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read