Author Topic: Tossing complicated unwanted mods  (Read 1131 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Tossing complicated unwanted mods
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »
I've decided to do a little purging of ships due to my stubborn system, which won't run some things without a major hardware upgrade that I can't afford.

However...

the Purge List includes the Scotchy galaxy set and the skinning and damaging tool (too big on memory draw for the SDT), Stargate Universe Ships (too powerfull, akin to God ships), and the borg (too physically huge in the model for my comp to handle).  unfortunately, they've installed so many sub-ships, I don't know how to withdraw what without damaging my BC, which i am in no mood to reinstall for the fourth time.  any suggestions on a conventional replacement for a good Galaxy Class that I don't have to tune back up to make it competitive, or some Borg Lite?

OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Tossing complicated unwanted mods
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »
SDT won't draw much if any resources... it's the ship textures it swaps that may be to high for your system.
The SG ship pack is meant to fight only SG ships... that's how it gets unbalanced.

a good Galaxy replacement would be BR's Galaxy Pack 2.0 
There are some very old Borg packs still available at BCfiles that should be good replacements.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »
actually SDT will save memory and HDD space in the long run, because otherwise you've got to have individual models to get extra registries.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »
it's not the ships themselves (like, oddly, BAZ's current JJ's), it's the actual filler panels of the SDT  when i turn on the Skinning, the whole thing slows to a hitchy crawl.  also, I think the Poly count might have something to do with it as well as the size of the skins.  I'm oddly having the same slowdown effect with Candle's Tiber Mk 2.  I'm starting to bet it's the Poly count alone.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
it's the actual filler panels of the SDT
What do you mean by that? Are you trying to say that the new registry texture that is replacing the old slows your computer?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »
yup.  if I run the models with the SDT off, they're fine.  when i turn the SDT on, THEN it slows down.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
it still has the polys that the registries are attached to, those are a property of the model itself, the SDT only replaces the textures, it doesn't add polys like the bridge plugin. infact you can use the SDT plugin to replace any texture on the model.  Removing the SDT will only cause more work, because you will have to remove any ship using any alternate registries for your install to work properly.  the only reason there might be any difference at all is if the default map has a significantly smaller resolution than the map called by the SDT, which is a relatively easy fix.