Author Topic: Immobile Cursor  (Read 571 times)

JeromeStar

Immobile Cursor
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »
I've looked everywhere on the forums for this before asking, but I've insofar not been able to find anything on it. Anyways, on to the problem: the game loads fine, but I can't skip past any of the intros and logos /or/ move the cursor /at all/ when I get to the menu. No buttons on the keyboard will work either. I'm not quite sure where the problem is originating from, as I haven't had it before.

If there are any details you guys need, let me know and I'll see what I can find out. It's making it impossible for me to just /start/ a new game. And I just installed it. I'm about to download a few patches to see if that works, but I need some professional outlooks on my chances of fixing this problem.

And yes, I've tried the usual reinstalling. At first, I installed it to my second hard-drive, but my reinstall put it in c prompt. As you should know, since I'm posting this, it still isn't working.

As a note, my mouse is a Microsoft brand, and it uses a USB cable instead of the general mouse plug-in. Ironically, as does my keyboard. Could that be the problem? Will I need an adapter for both my keyboard and mouse then?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Immobile Cursor
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:06:43 PM »
No need for adapting from USB to PS/2. BC can't even notice the difference.

Try pressing Enter or Alt-Tab (and hold the Alt to see more windows) or try the windows key.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

JeromeStar

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »
Alright, thanks for that helpful little tip. Originally I was afraid I'd have to do a CTRL-Alt-Del in order to switch from window to window. Also, I tried ENTER during the intros and the logos, but it still won't skip forward. Are you certain that BC doesn't acknowledge USB? That's the only thing I can think of... The keyboard /and/ the mouse don't work after I start the game (via shortcut or selecting the icon from the menu; I tried loading the game directly from the CD and from my Program Files folder as well, but obviously it still had the same problem).

I downloaded the 1.1 patch and it didn't fix the problem. Could it possibly be a bad file somewhere? Since it uses a custom cursor, it may need to tie the mouse into the game, explaining why the game suddenly takes control of my cursor when I start the game. It would also partially explain /how/ my mouse cursor can stop working, but I'm not quite sure what is actually causing it, nor what to do about it.  :wtf

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »
BC probably freezes for some reason. If you were in windowed mode you would see your mouse disappear when you go over the BC screen, and re-appear when you move away from it.

I unfortunately don't know what the reason is as to why BC freezes.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

JeromeStar

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »
Hmm... I couldn't get it to run in windowed mode the usual way, so I'll go to the 'target' field and add -w at the end of the command line like I did to get Sims 2 running in a window. It's odd though; not all of my games will run in a windowed mode whatsoever. If BC can, that might help in more ways than one.

Never mind, the -w method doesn't work there either. I also tried to right click the tab on the taskbar, but it stuck my mouse in the top left corner of the screen again.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
You have to start in -TestMode and edit the options.cfg.

JeromeStar

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
Ah, I see. I'll get to work on that right quick. I have another CD my friend loaned to me that I'll use right quick to install with. It might have something to do with my installation disk or something. I'll have to take it back to the store and get a refund.

I did as you said and got it to go off of full-screen. The mouse turns invisible when I move it over the area. In fact, the entire window moves to the top left corner of the screen and I can't move my mouse without using that ALT-TAB method to switch windows.

The other installation just ended up doing the same thing. It still doesn't work. But alright, I've edited the options to turn off full-screen; what else should I do? Any files in particular I need to check?

I just tried to get a console report as suggested by one of the threads, but the program isn't accepting any commands from my keyboard. I think /that/ was the main problem in the first place; BC not reading my mouse or keyboard. I don't have any idea why though. I'm going to try restarting next; maybe I needed to restart right after installation like with any other program.

EDIT: After restarting the computer, the mouse and keyboard seem to be registering. I've never actually had that sort of problem with any programs before. I guess it could only register the keyboard and the mouse when the computer is booting up; it'd make sense, actually. Ah well, thanks for the help anyways! The Alt-Tab method of switching between windows and the config editing help will /definitely/ come in handy! Thanks again!  :)