Author Topic: Daedalus Class  (Read 3907 times)

Offline pointman

• Cookies: 0
Daedalus Class
« on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:45 AM »
hello everybody, i am building a daedalus class but i am having trouble finding good references. can anybody help me plz? I already have the ones at ex-astris-scientia,

I am trying to make my first ship for bridge commander.

I think the proportions are accurate.

Offline pointman

Re: Deadalus Class
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:50:28 AM »
Hi again, I have finished the mesh to the best of my ability, but am unsure about the rear and underside of this ship.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
Re: Daedalus Class
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:25:10 AM »
That looks pretty good. Try to get a hold of Phaser and/or Limey. They've both built and released daedalus classes.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:49:31 AM »
That looks pretty good. Try to get a hold of Phaser and/or Limey. They've both built and released daedalus classes.

You called? :P

It's looking good so far. I can see possible improvements besides the back. The ball at the front looks a little edgy. It might be worth spending a few more polys to smooth it out. And there are rib like things all along the nacelles and secondary hull. They're not overly pronounced, so could be done with textures, but I thought I'd still bring them up :P

As for the back. I don't think I've ever seen anything official about how it looks, but I've found a few pics that do show a reasonably sensible looking rear end.

MUSE!!!

Offline pointman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:07:07 AM »
Yes, thank you very much indeed, I have already added more polies to the dome, and I found another ref (non cannon) model with some good shots, im thinking about making the rear hanger bay curved inward instead of flat, what do you think?

Also I cannot see evidence of starboard or port lighting (blue and green) and also docking hatches and weapons? should I use artistic licence with these?

And, if I may just pick your brains, where is the deflector?

As you can see with the last screenie it sits at 4428 polies.

Offline JamesTiberiusKirk

• Johnny Walker... one of my best friends! Cheers!
  • Cookies: 33
  • Cheers!
    • My Myspace Page ->
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 06:21:44 AM »
very good. how come we never heard of you?  :)

"And this... is... to go... even further beyond!"

Offline pointman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:36:22 AM »
Hi James, I have spent the past 3 years modding for Homeworld and HW2, Many years ago I modded Starfleet Command I and a little on II before I got hooked on the HW series, I was thinking about creating my own HW2 TOS mod, and still may do, but for now, I am going to mod for BC as I can chuck a few more polies in and use bigger maps on this engine and it should not crap out your PC, Homeworld 2 does use DDS, and its a shame BC cannot do the same, although I have read that Legacy will, so I am going to watch this space  :D

I am going to add a docking hatch on the port side of the dome and hull, also add in some nav lights and weapon's next.

Offline limey BSc.

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:05:27 AM »
should I use artistic licence with these?

Definately!

And, if I may just pick your brains, where is the deflector?

I think the deflector at the very front of the secondary hull. But the dome there sticks out instead of curving in, and I don't think it has full line of sight forwards, but I can't think of anywhere else it could be.
MUSE!!!

Offline pointman

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:06:30 AM »
I have added the docking port to the hull but decided not to add the one to the main hull as it seemed a liitle odd, I am happy with this mesh for now so will start to map and texture it, but I would like to develop the design, later so your ideas are welcome, in escence . . for the daedalus v2 what would you like to see added in?

I will post wip's of the textures shortly

Offline pointman

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 07:08:38 AM »
Thank you Limey 98, I though that also, but like you have already stated, from the front view it does not work, I think in v2, i will raise the dome, and have a kink in the neck structure with braces to support its odd shape.

thanks

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31:36 AM »
Greetings from Myself and for New Hampton Yards.  I'm a Daedalus collector AND have a concept sketch or two out for a JJverse update.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 08:53:43 AM »
Thank you Limey 98, I though that also, but like you have already stated, from the front view it does not work, I think in v2, i will raise the dome, and have a kink in the neck structure with braces to support its odd shape.

thanks

If as you say, you wanna use some artistic license, then perhaps an NX-style deflector in the spherical primary hull? The Daedalus and NX Class are both within the same era canonically. Just that we've never really seen a Daedalus Class "up close and personal".
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline pointman

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »
Greetings from Myself and for New Hampton Yards.  I'm a Daedalus collector AND have a concept sketch or two out for a JJverse update.

lol... i understood none of that, although i understood your english I still read it and though  :wtf.. either way hello my friend I look forward to seeing what you have  :funny

If as you say, you wanna use some artistic license, then perhaps an NX-style deflector in the spherical primary hull? The Daedalus and NX Class are both within the same era canonically. Just that we've never really seen a Daedalus Class "up close and personal".

Yes I will definately do this in v2,

I want to make a "standardish" one, then go all personal on it  :)

thanks

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »
Darkthunder: what, no plug for the one you were working on?

Pointman:  if you have a browse around BCfies, there are gobs of Daedeli (including my own take) floating around, including a Mirror Universe Daed.

this is my own take at slapping a deflector dish on a spherical hull.  i'm primarily a skinner, and the wrap for the Sphere was split down the front, so it was a bit of a problem ( image from the beta version)

yours is a sweet looking take.  looks definetly TOS instead of pre TOS.  if you leave the spears off the Bussards (please), it'd be a perfect TOS refit of the Daeds.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline pointman

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »
thats some nice work mate, how are you with scripts etc?

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »
decent, but not perfect.  I'm still trying to work the bugs out on a unhardpointed Breen Ship.  i suggest you talk to my Partner in crime for New Hampton Yards, Worf359Alpha

my Daed started out as a Personal-Use Skin and Hardpoint on JLStudios historicly accurate Daedalus.  Limey98 was apparently impressed enough he let me release it (thanks, guys).  it's on the 1.0 version at the moment., but I don't think there's much more improvement i can do. if your interested in checking it out.  look for "Updated Gabriel Daedalus hardpoint" in the "other" ship section.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline pointman

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
Ok thanks I will do..

Here is a high res render  :D

3 x 2048's = too heavy ??  :roll

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
only for those of us with middle of the road comps.  if I get 2048's with a relativly high-poly ship, I get nasty slowdowns.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline pointman

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »
But BC comes with the choice of Low / High / Med textures, so if i understand the process correct, the low ones will be 512's on you can delete the rest leaving the engine to just load the low ones. should even run on your commodore 16k  ;)

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »
But BC comes with the choice of Low / High / Med textures, so if i understand the process correct, the low ones will be 512's on you can delete the rest leaving the engine to just load the low ones. should even run on your commodore 16k  ;)

Low: 512 maps with no speculars
Medium: 1024 maps with 512 specs
High: 2048 maps with 1024 specs

If you stick to this formula, there shouldn't be many issues. However look through the settings of scripts/ships py files, they have some pretty interesting options for making your ship even more resource-friendly.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.