Author Topic: Updating Stock ships.  (Read 1033 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Updating Stock ships.
« on: August 17, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
I know it's been done before with all the stock fed ships (i picked up all the P81 updates, a couple of which are worse than the originals!), but not so much with the other races.  do you have to talk to TG itself if you decide to clean up the original skins and release them?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Updating Stock ships.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »
nope you don't

btw I'd ignor P81 Fed ship replacements and go after either CE or C2X stock replacements if possible.
P81 back when BC was released was great... now... not so much.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
At the moment I think the best replacements are SNS's Akira, DJ's or SNS's Galaxy, LC's or JLS Ambassador, Cpt. Elgys or Captain Cook/Russel's Nebula and CG's Sovereign + JTK's retexture.. these are my personal use ATM.

If you'd go for retexturing your best bet would be to base upon texures from replacement ships I mentioned and draw them with less details on lower res if you want to keep it low-end

Offline Judge King

• USAF Phoenix CO
  • Cookies: 18
  • Hail to the king of battle!
    • XSGCOM Wiki
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
Federation
CG Sovereign (or JTK Sovereign for the high end users)
DJ Galaxy
CE Nebula
SNS Akira
JLS Ambassador

Klingon
Lint's Vor'cha
Lint's B'Rel
Lint's K'Vort

Romulan
LC's Romulan Warbird

Cardassians
the stock ones are fine

Kessok
KM Heavy
KM Light
Kessok Carrier
Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
thanks for all the suggestions, Gentlemen.  I've been picking up more Romulans than you can shake a Generation ship at.  I'll leave the Kessok's alone (as they're tough enough), and i need the Cardies for Target Practice XD.

the only two I'm really having trouble with from P81 are Galaxy and Ambassador..and I think I'm gonna just do a personal use hardpoint revamp for them (i LOVE te Ambassador's retexture, there.)  which of the reccomended Galaxy's is more in the Neutral palette rather than that yucky Robin's egg blue, and which has a Challenger registry?

also, I seem to be a natch with the Nebula, but nobody's said a thing about that one being revamped, yet. EDIT: i stand corrected.  it's been tough tryint to read my screen without curtians on the windows (mum washed em for me, and just brought em back!)
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
CE's Nebulae are the best of you can run 'em.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:42:07 PM »
for the cardies, I would recommend the 9of9 Galor and keldons, these are the same ones that are in KM, CR rebuilt the Hybrid for the BCSupermod, which also includes every other ship mentioned so far, already rigged to replace the ships in the campaign.  If you'd rather do it yourself, the SM Hybrid is still the only one out there, and it's fairly easy to extract from the mod if you know what files you need.

it's been tough tryint to read my screen without curtians on the windows (mum washed em for me, and just brought em back!)

oh I know how tough that can be, I went for years putting butcherpaper in the window in our den before I got my own computer that I could put in a room with blinds

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
I seem to have no problems running large, hi res ships.  I only get a slowdown with Multiple torpedoes and pulse shots on the screen at the same time, and only if I'm in "behind the ship" mode.  this basic tower is running with a 2 gig celeron and nealy a gig of ram (the previous one I had to bump up.  it was running only 256!)

the only thing I'm really having trouble with is the fact a good 50% of my ships are in RAR format, and mum complains about the cluttered desktop when she uses it.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
don't save to the desktop... just save to a folder in the doc folder or somewhere else on the HD... makes things run so much better....

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »
I've just taken a count.  all put together, I've downloaded well over 100 ships, including multipacks of Klingons and Romulans.  and this includes only 2 borg, 2 dominion, and two Orion.  i have all my zips and rars, including files I no longer need, in a seperate folder.  zips I can simply copy and paste into BC.  RAR's have to be unzipped every time, and this makes things messy.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 07:09:41 PM »
if youre curious about "The Best Quality Ships ... " you should take a look at the stickied threads in this forum...

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »
I've just taken a count.  all put together, I've downloaded well over 100 ships, including multipacks of Klingons and Romulans.  and this includes only 2 borg, 2 dominion, and two Orion.  i have all my zips and rars, including files I no longer need, in a seperate folder.  zips I can simply copy and paste into BC.  RAR's have to be unzipped every time, and this makes things messy.

RAR files are no diff than zip files in what they accomplish... (just diff compression/options) I just extract them all to their own folder.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »
you can still copy and paste, or drag and drop from .rar files, windows just doesn't have a built in extractor like it does for .zips

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:38:15 AM »
Boss: yeah, I forgot about that.

Nebs/Aces.  winrar won't let me copy and paste, for some cockamamy reason.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
Ya never right clicked on the rar file?? and said extract to here or blablabla area??.....