Author Topic: Icarus Class  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Icarus Class
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »
Dunno if this is the right place to put this. But I have drawn up an idea on a potential TNG-era "Daedalus Class" currently titled Icarus Class. As I am no professional modeller, and I suck at drawing up other views, I only have the side view of this design and some basic specifications. If anyone decides to make a 3D model of it (albeit vastly refined), it would be pretty cool :P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Icarus Class
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »
you have my attention.  I'd gladly contribute to putting this together

you also may have Markyd's atention.  he's talked about a take on a Daedalus type himself
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »
Made quite a few refinements to the side view, among others removing the "TOS-style" deflector in the old "sphere" section.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:57 PM »
that looks pretty cool actually, id throw my hand up, but im swarmed with other things.
hope i comes to reality for ya
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
Keep going mate, a few more views, then a bigger more detailed version would be nice. Its a great start.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »
Further refinements to the design, as well as the preliminary top view of the ship.

Not very skilled at the other views unfortunately.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:35:49 AM »
Nice work mate, keep going, a few gradients here and there would look nice too. 

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
Considering that i've only used MS Paint for these pictures so far, I guess I ain't doing too bad :P
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
Considering that i've only used MS Paint for these pictures so far, I guess I ain't doing too bad :P

id love to see what you could do with photoshop at your disposal.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »

Well I do have Photoshop, but as i've said before i'm not much of a graphics guy :)

Added the bottom view, added gradients in the different views. Not perfect mind you, but it adds quite a bit of depth to the design. Also added most of the main details to the ship such as deflector area, phasers, torpedo tubes (2 forward tubes, 0 aft).

Not quite sure how to do the forward and aft views of the ship yet. Does any of this look good enough for a potential 3D model at some point? (not done by me thou, definitely not skilled enough for that).
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:44 PM »

Well I do have Photoshop, but as i've said before i'm not much of a graphics guy :)

neither was i at one point, i swore that when i started doing mods that in NO WAY was i EVER gonna do textures. that one worked out, HA.

but if you fiddle around with it and dig yourself a nice trench with photoshop, im sure you can do some damn good things with it :)
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 03:55:50 AM »
Much better mate, its looks more professional with each update, If your going to stick with 2d illustrations though, then Adobe Illustrator would be the best application IMO to learn, then a little photoshop.

I hope someone makes your ship, infact I might do it for you, and let you texture it, then you have no excuses to learn Photoshop  :funny

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »
dammit, If i still had all my drafting equipment....(i'm mising a T square, i can improvise everything else.)

it just hit me, as I can't read the pics or look at them while posting *mumbles* what era is this from?  i have every Daed in existance that's been modeled, and the only two missing are a JJdalus and an era X
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Zephram

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:43:24 AM »
I think this is very good darkthunder, and i could you help it make it 3d but not into bc

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »
If you are willing to make it a "game worthy" model in 3DS max, i'm sure there is plenty of talent around to get it converted for use in BC :)

Gonna keep refining the design where possible. Need some serious thought into how to make the forward and aft views.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Zephram

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 08:04:30 AM »
ok. when you are done with all the views i will build and map it, can you help me to texture

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »
dammit, If i still had all my drafting equipment....(i'm mising a T square, i can improvise everything else.)

it just hit me, as I can't read the pics or look at them while posting *mumbles* what era is this from?  i have every Daed in existance that's been modeled, and the only two missing are a JJdalus and an era X

I'd say this would be an early/mid-TNG era ship. Gonna try to work more on the design this weekend.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
id love to model this myself as well, with your premission, your 3 views give me a starting place on this, if your ok with me extroplating the rear and front, though to fit your 70 meter height the bridge module needs to be larger, right now compared to height its about the size of an F-16 cockpit. Also after I make it I would need someone that do the import to BC for you, I convert from BC to SFC but cant get it working the other way. So I can make an SFC mesh of your model if someone is willing to import it to .nif ect.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »
I would be perfectly fine with that. And you should consider my given "ship stats" to just be a general guideline for the ship. Ideally i'd like it to end up only slightly larger (15-25%) than the original pre-TOS Daedalus Class.

I'd like the ship to have a fully functional stardrive section, as well as a more streamlined "sphere" section fit for the 24th Century. While my design supports having a TNG-era deflector dish in the stardrive, I recognize the limitations of the original Daedalus in that it might not have a full clearance in the forward view.

I'm an amateur modeller at best, and my graphics design capabilities are limited (to say the least). I'd be most appreciated if this (or a similar) design could eventually be realized. I'm sure there are several capable modders that could get it ported to work for BC. The hardpointing part is relatively easy (thou i'm a bit rusty, so I wouldn't recommend myself for the task) :P

In conclusion: Go right ahead and model it if you wish. I look forward to seeing any progress you are able to make. I regret not being very creative in designing a decent forward and aft view of the ship.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »
well im not perfect yet, my models tend to be multiple mesh's combined because I havnt figured out how to add one mesh to the other and remove the extra