Author Topic: STAR TREK: FRONTLINES  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: STAR TREK: FRONTLINES
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:44 AM »
Lol ok. But remember, Troi never did much in the way of for example, Engineering. If she had that hair in Engineering, it would probably catch fire. xD
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 10:49:10 AM »
 :lol: The would have been funny! :lol: Only Command and bridge crew get the nicer hail, wile engineering crew like you said get shorter ones.

Offline Worf359Alpha

• Master HardPointer, Novice Scripter!
  • Cookies: 14
  • Peace Thru Superior Firepower
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 10:52:05 AM »
Lol ok. But remember, Troi never did much in the way of for example, Engineering. If she had that hair in Engineering, it would probably catch fire. xD

LOL, Troi would prob confuse a warp core for a cosmic string!
500+ HardPointed Ships and counting! Man where do i find the time!

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 03:21:31 AM »
And then ask both how they feel about that. :lol:

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »
Hobbs: How about this, send me the link to where i can download it ans i'll try to do a texture job to update it enuff to try to use it for your ship. I admire the love you have for your ship, and i feel your story idea will prosper with your ship in tact.

Here's my griffin class, i have provided you with 2 complete and seperate ships

griffin nacelles extended
slipstream griffin

the last one is a retracted version which would work well with slipstream, and it has textures that would be how i imagined the slipstream segments on the ship... would be nice to model them though lol
the phasers on the segments with slipstream coils should be removed and the torpedo launchers should be moved back one segment.

hope this is ok and thanks, any help would be appreciated.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 04:02:52 PM »
I'm looking at her now in Nif and was very surprised. The pic you posted don't do your ship justice. A side from a few modeling errors that i see, i think this is an awsome little ship!!! :lol: Wow!!

Ok, do you have the original 3d model? Me, my self is not a model maker, thoue i want to leard some day. I do have 3ds max and if you have the original model, i might jest be able to fix some of the model errors so when i do the new textures you will not see them. And if i can't fix it, we could ask for help from some one in the community for some assistance.

If you don't still have the original, then i'll giver her a fresh paint job and see what you think from there.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »
fresh paint job sounds awsom... one request and its not an order lol but could it be more like the original starfleet ships colour scheme as in bluey-white. i really dont like the "new" grey warlike scheme. the ncc1701A from undiscovered country and the ncc1701D is what i mean.

but here is a 3ds version

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline hobbs

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
I thought i'd share with you my theory on slipstream this is from some time ago 6months or somthing like it lol( i believe its out of date lol):
Also there are other forms of travel i have theorised.
SLIPSTREAM

A THEORY ON THE NEWEST FORM OF TRAVEL

THE SLIPSTREAM PHENOMENA IS MUCH LIKE FORCING AN OBJECT [SHIP] THROUGH A RESTRICTIVE MEMBRANE [QUANTUM SLIPSTREAM SPACE].
THE OBJECT FORCES OPEN AN APERTURE AND THEN USING CONVENTIONAL PROPULSION TRAVELS THROUGH THE APERTURE AND INTO THE TUNNEL BEYOND. THE PHYSICS OF THE QUANTUM SLIPSTREAM MEAN THAT A SHIP TRAVELLING AT IMPULSE SPEED REACHES CLOSE TO WARP 10 SPEEDS, A SHIP AT 1/2 IMPULSE WOULD BE TRAVELLING FAR SLOWER THOUGH STILL FASTER THAN CONVENTIONAL WARP SPEEDS.

THE PROBLEMS EXISTS THAT THE QUANTUM SLIPSTREAM TUNNEL IS A FORCED PHENOMENA AND SO TREMENDOUS STRESS IS PLACED ON THE SLIPSTREAM DEVICE AS THE TUNNEL TRIES TO COLLAPSE. A WAY OF STABILISING THIS IS TO CREATE A VESSEL WITH SLIPSTREAM FIELD COILS ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE SHIP WHICH WOULD BOLSTER THE EFFECT OF THE SLIPSTREAM DEVICE AND IN FACT ALLOW LESS POWER TO BE NEEDED FOR THE DEVICE ITSELF AS RATHER THAN OPENING A LARGE APERTURE A SHIP WITH FIELD COILS WOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE THE TUNNEL CONFORM TO THE SHIPS SHAPE.

NOTE: IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE THE EFFECT OF THE COLLAPSING TUNNEL TO 'PUSH' THE SHIP AND SO PROVIDE GREATER SPEED.

INTER-DIMENSIONAL GATE PROPULSION

THIS FORM OF TRAVEL IS UNLIKE ANY OTHER TO FEDERATION SCIENCE, IT UTILISES THE DATA GATHERED BY VOYAGER AT THE TIME OF ITS RETURN TO FEDERATION SPACE.
DATA GATHERED FROM THE TRANSWARP HUB BEFORE ITS DESTRUCTION HAS MADE THIS TECHNOLOGY POSSIBLE. THE SHIP CREATES A GATEWAY SIMILAR TO THE GATES OF THE HUB SYSTEM. WHEN FORMED THE ?GATE? ALLOWS THE SHIP TO SLIP INTO AN ?INTER-DIMENSIONAL LAYER? OF OUR UNIVERSE WHICH HAS VERY DIFFERENT LAWS OF PHYSICS, IT WAS FOUND THAT TRAVELLING 1 LIGHT-YEAR IN THIS LAYER WAS EQUAL TO 10 L-Y IN NORMAL SPACE.
THE SHIPS SENSORS ARE LINKED TO TRANSPONDERS LOCATED ON VARIOUS STARFLEET INSTALLATIONS WHICH ALLOWS THE SHIP TO BE PILOTED TO SPECIFIC AREAS OF NORMAL SPACE WHILST IN THE INTER-DIMENSIONAL LAYER.

TRAVEL WITHOUT THIS TRANSPONDER IS POSSIBLE BUT COMPLEX, FOR THERE ARE NO REFERENCE POINTS WITHIN THE LAYER THAT ALLOW FOR NAVIGATION BUT BY TRIANGULATING TRANSPONDER SIGNALS OR THE USE PRE-DETERMINED FLIGHT PLANS (IE: LONG RANGE SCANS) THEN A POINT OF RE-ENTRY CAN BE USED.

Sovereign up grade: Trans-warp                     by   N.J Hobbs

The Sovereign is one of Starfleet?s strongest vessels.
Designed to replace the Excelsior, Ambassador, and New Orleans class Starships as the federations deep-space combat/defensive vessels, but to also provide availability for scientific research and exploration. This combination provides deep-space exploration/first contact missions with a well defended vessel, and as new areas and races are discovered this will prove to be a huge asset.

With the Borg threat a reality Starfleet began work on new combat vessels such as the Defiant, the sovereign was also one of these. Started in 2365 the sovereign project pushed federation technology to its limits and beyond allowing for far more efficient defensive/offensive capabilities and also far greater computing power.

Some difficulties were found the most significant was the warp drive system, due in part to the high energy dependent technologies like the shields and deflector systems this class of ship was struggling to keep up with other vessels in terms of raw speed. Advancements in warp core design remedied some of these problems but the sovereign class is still less than a leader in the propulsion area.

During the time the sovereign was under development the Uss Enterprise D discovered Captain Montgomery Scott in transporter suspension, with his eventual return to Starfleet and his reenlistment he came to have some influence on the project.
With the completion of the class many in Starfleet felt they had created a true flag ship for the fleet, but with subsequent missions being issued to the new vessels it was found to be lacking in some areas still. These were primarily the number of phaser arrays and again the speed of the ship.
The weapon systems were upgraded and the famous engineer looked into the propulsion problems.

Captain Scott?s research provided Starfleet with theories on how to bring the class up to standards set during its original development.
With a redesign of the nacelles and warp drive that incorporates a new system developed by ?Scotty? this system uses the original failed trans-warp drive developed for the Excelsior as a basis but incorporates the theory of ?multiple subspace layers? this theory basically allows for many subspace layers and ?warp? is just one of these. Voyager encountered another called ?Under-space? and so with many years of research by Captain Scott allowed for a new layer of subspace to be traversed, he dubbed this ?Trans-warp? in honour of the Nx Excelsior.

Technical problems still exist such as the need to attain maximum warp speed before a resonance oscillation of the shield frequency allows for the ship to slip into the next layer of subspace. This ?slippage? is highly violent and all systems such as structural integrity, shields and warp drive must be operating at 100%, Captain Scott has found that it is still possible to cross the subspace threshold at less than this efficiency but it causes serious damage to the vessel which raise exponentially as the percentage drops. At 75% the vessel is likely to be too badly damaged to sustain its integrity.
Adversely coming out of the subspace layers is relatively less harmful.

At present the new upgraded sovereign is able to slip into the next layer of subspace at warp 9.7 though a faster speed has proven to be more effective and safer.
The vessel once in the next layer of subspace travels at speeds that never attain the warp 10 threshold instead the speed is in effect warp 9 to warp 10.
Captain Scott has developed a new scale for this new ?trans-warp? system

TRANS-WARP         WARP EQUIVALENT

1                                       9.8
      2                                       9.85
      3                                       9.9
      4                                       9.95   
                     (Voyager was able to reach 9.975 as a maximum speed)
      5                                    9.99
      6                                       9.995
      7                                       9.999
      8                                       9.9995
      9                                       9.9999
      10                               ---

Even though new vessels in the fleet can reach the 9.97+ mark they over stress their engines and can sustain such speeds for only short periods of time. Additionally the amount of power needed is high and immensely inefficient. Whilst within the ?trans-warp layer? however the power needed drops back to the relatively low power usage a vessels needs to sustain a standard warp 1 (without use of the ?subspace highways?).

From this scale the sovereign is able to sustain a trans-warp 7 cruising velocity which equates to warp 9.999 whilst using the same amount of power as it would at warp 7 in standard warp flight.

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 06:38:29 AM »
Wow, your brain must have exploded will developing this theory. :lol: This is pretty good. I thought Scotty retired again after the the Big D found him? Like he said, his schooling is a hundred years out of date and even re schooling, i doubt that that he would have the means to complete the Sovie design.

The QSD system that i imagined goes something like this.

After Voyages returned with her new tech, star fleet poured it's best and brightest in to trying to develop the Slipstream, the armor, the weapons and the catapult they used a wile back.

The new armor system proved to be harder to fit to starship then original thought, it's still pending development. Wile easier, most new ship are outfitted with the new Phaser ans torpedo systems wile older models could now handle the power requirement.

Research focused on the Catapult. After years of development, Gate Ways as they were dubbed were stationed at many starbases and high trafficked planets as a means of alternative  travel. Due to warp it limitation, max crusing speed of all ship with in the federation  is warp 5 to stop the harm to space unless emergency condituons are applied, the gates were out fitted with thrusters for stubilty and for navagation controll. A ship can send it's flight plan to the controll room, from there the gate way crew would turn the gate and activate it for travel in a streght line. For ships to use this technology, a computer program was in stalled on any ship wishing to use this system. Auto pilot adjusted the shields and flights systems to compensate for in tunnel turbulence and also has an auto shutdown in case of two things. One being a failure to compensate for the tunnels behavior, and secondly a ship would automatically eject it's self from the tunnel upon approach to and planetary system. The result of both would simple restore the ship to normal space where the ship would curry on under normal warp. In theory, the ship is in a quantum state, thus would possibility allow the ship to pass thought and spacial body's. But the theory is still not proven and the effect on any spacial body is not known thus a ship in the stream must eject before entering any solar system, inhabited or not.

With rapid boarded disputes and the rise in tenchens with Klingon, 8472, borg and the remainders of the Jem'hadar, plus attacks from and unknown aggressor, star fleet was able to complet successful quantum slip drive systems using crystals found by the crew of the USS GRIFFIN. This system, redesigned from VOYAGER by Jayals Sh'Dani, a Andorian scientist were built for the star fleet test program that were tasked with inter grading the QSD into 6 new prototype class. All were successful with the exception of one. Charged with front line defense and rescue, the RRTF was born. But with any new technology it has its limits. Wile operating normally the ship is under warp power, but when emergency protocols are activated, the QSD can be brought online with in minuets to slip to any location. The crystals powering the QSD take a long time to refine under hardest condition and once done the crystals  only has a limited shelf life. With a year to refine the crystals and only a month worth of slip jumps star fleet was quick to inplaiment the new QSD protocol. This mode of travel it not with out hazards thou, as documented by VOYAGER, a person exposed to this, depending on there race, may or will start to regress to an earlier state of evolution. SH'Dani implemented a new BIO shielding protocol into the ships QSD to automatically engage upon entering the Stream to stop any undesired mutation. The before menchened auto pilot system for the Gate Ways are also merged into this system to stop a ship from clouding with any steller body's. Before engaging the system, a massive sensor pulse is emitted and when avalible, a uplink with fredration navigational network will be used to plot a searis of Slip jump to avoid potential hazards will travling in a striate line.

This is the working theory for the QSD in the show, questions and any additional information is welcomed.

Also, to Hobbs, Billz and DJ........ Cookies!!!!!

Also Hobbs, click on the MODIFY button on your last post to add new info if no one has posted after you. This saves on double posting. Thanks.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
You also have permission to use the Subspace Graviton Catapult from the DQP for STF as well ;)

Thanks

~Jb06

Offline hobbs

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 01:36:56 PM »
hi, in regards to scotty retireing after the ent-d found him apparentyly in the startrek novels he went back to starfleet and helped with the sovie.(they created a special course for those starfleet officers who were from the past such as the crew of the bozeman)

i love your idea!   :D thanks for including the griffin :)

um one note: the warp speed restrictions due to damage to subspace was lifted after warp engines were redesigned thats why the intrepid class ships had the moving nacells, after the intrepid was finished i think a new redesign allowed for ships (all) to travel beyond warp 5.

and if you are using the regretion theory because thats what happened to paris and janeway in the episode with paris reachin warp 10 then you've got it backwards lol they didn't regres they evolved (but the bio shielding theory holds)

please dont think i'm nit-picking, just trying to help.

like i said love your idea!  :D

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 06:05:09 AM »
Hobbs: No, not at all, i post here to keep my facts good. Your doing an excellent job. Where was it said that the warp restriction was lifted? And i only read a few book of Captain Kirk like Ashes of Edin ans the Academy days.

I'm looking for Slip Stream calculations. Like how long would it take to travel from earth to Taurus dark cloud nebula at 437.5 light years away. At warp 9.95 to would take 16.9 days. At a cursing speed of warp 7 it would do it in 243 days. I know that there is a formula, but can't seem to find it. From what i understand there is no different slip settings like warp has, like warp 1-9.975. Once entered it stays constant. Any ideas?

Offline hobbs

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
hi.

sorry i think it was "non-cannon" about the lifting of the speed restriction, i think it was a notation in the startrek encyclopaedia.

it says on startrek wiki memory alpha : Warp speeds above warp 5 were routinely used after 2370, without mention of the harmful effects, suggesting a solution was found, even though it was not mentioned on-screen. See: Variable-geometry pylon for the only non-canon mention.

my mistake (though you got to admit starfleet must have done something cause all ships were using warp 5+ in 2370 which was on screen)

SLIPSTREAM CALCULATIONS:

the Dauntless the ship wiith slipstream in voyager traveled 15 lightyears in about 5 mins

so:

15ly in 5mins = 180ly/hour (15ly / 5mins =3ly per min  X 60 =180ly per hour)

437.5ly / 180ly per hour = 2.4305555 hours

Offline Worf359Alpha

• Master HardPointer, Novice Scripter!
  • Cookies: 14
  • Peace Thru Superior Firepower
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 11:11:57 PM »

15ly in 5mins = 180ly/hour (15ly / 5mins =3ly per min  X 60 =180ly per hour)

437.5ly / 180ly per hour = 2.4305555 hours

Math make Worf head Hurt
500+ HardPointed Ships and counting! Man where do i find the time!

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
Ok, HOBBS, sit back and enjoy your first look at your griffen class MARK 2

If you look at the first set of pics you'll see the original Griffin model you sent me. When i first seen the ship i loved the idea of it, but as i run my PC graphics all on high, mesh errors popped out like a sore thumb. Notice that the bridge and where it meet the saucer, most of the lines don't run smooth. Same as the rear of the saucer where it meets the hull and to where it runs to the phaser strip. Bumpy line seems to fill the rest of the engineering hull. No errors were found on the nacelle thou.

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »
Sorry to all for the double post, it's the only way to explain.

Now below is the updated modal. It took 2 days to do both models, this is my first time doing work like this. Basically i fixed the vertices throwout the hole mesh and then smoothed it out for better looking curves [guys love curves]. Then i remembered that you wanted the phasers moved back and the torpedo launchers as well. Let me know that you think. Jest a thought, vivace class necalls would look sweet on this.

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Vivace_Class;71712

We would have to get DJ's permission for that thoue.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 10:54:17 AM »
hehe cool

that saucer section looks close to one of my ships :D
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 11:18:11 AM »
Sorry Nebula, didn't mean to make it look like your ship, what ship was that again? This is a re vamp of a ship design that HOBBS made. I'm jest fixing it up for him. I'm glad you like it. I'm a little nerves because this is my first time modeling.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
There's nothing wrong with a ship looking like another. If it's pure accident, its ok. If you've based your saucer on another saucer (which I know you haven't), then I think credit or permission or something like that needs to be given. I dunno, I'm just trying to be helpful. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2009, 11:55:49 AM »
Sorry Nebula, didn't mean to make it look like your ship, what ship was that again? This is a re vamp of a ship design that HOBBS made. I'm jest fixing it up for him. I'm glad you like it. I'm a little nerves because this is my first time modeling.

hehe np, I haven't been able to release that ship of mine cause I lack mapping/texturing skills...
The team that helped me with a few of my previous ships split up/disappeared a while ago
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.