Author Topic: PSXC Gabriel ( personal Daedalus skin)  (Read 979 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
PSXC Gabriel ( personal Daedalus skin)
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »
I'm better with taking RL photos than I am at hand-sketching physical objests.  what makes this even ore ironic?  I'm a mechanical Draftsman AND an artist.  I just can't draw mechanical objects without a tsquare, table arm, triangles, etc in front of me :P

however, i DO have a couple ship concept ideas I was going to throw out, including an involved personal use reskin of a Daedalus, of which I have pics.  I'm also posting pics of two ships that, when I original DLed them, had non-existant glows.  found out that was due to the trouble BC files was having at the time.

when I first DLed these two, thios is how they looked in game....light-less

this is my experiment reskin of a daedalus
yes, i still have the originals.  I keep all the DL's saved for later, because we've had a bad time with getting struck by lightning :P

addons
4 windows relit on engineering hull
Bussards relit to match
decorative nacelle stripes made to a Pseudo plasma manifold.

edit: duplicate pic, dagnabbit.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
Re: pics and ship designs.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »
okay, NOW for my REAL funky custom skin

port side.  unlike a lot of models, the bussard on these is a wrap rather than a cap-sheet from the front.  i have to redo the plama manifold to a darker color, especially since I now have the Dominion's color-scheme for comparison.  i've lit all the engineering hull windows, here.

Aft
added some lights to the dade's butt....all those black spots were screaming for a light.  the end caps are getting an overhaul.  I may have to redo the whole nacelle skin.  I also added an impulse exhaust to the back of the primary sphere.

top/Dorsal
added nav lights to the sphere.  the bridge dome light is brighter than stock because every time I did a reskin routine, the selection wand would take out the bridge glow :P

I'll be posting a couple shots of the hull reskin as well, to show off the "salvaged" registry (and the goof that turned into decorative bits on the nacelles)
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
The Deadalus is one of the ships I would like to do myself one day, looking at this I would say I encourage your enthusiasm, but the colours are off, bussards etc kinda just dont do it for me.

Good luck.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
that's cause it's a "capture", mate.  there's a lot of leftover Daedeli floating about (apparently, they've got a bit of a curse on em), and this one happened to get caught by my own little segment of the Universe.  if I redo the Hardpoints as I like, this'll have legitimate purple Phasers ("Vasers") and "votons"
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »
I've completed a new batch of speculars for the Gabriel (the name of my skin).  after recieveing a complaint that my glows looked pink, i've revamped the glows to the trademark purple that i will be using for my own creations.  hopefully, they are too dark to be "dominionish"

I've done some hull corrections.  the left side registry had a typo, and was out of line.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: PSXC Gabriel ( personal Daedalus skin)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
Pics?
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »
reply allready?  whoa, I wasn't expecting anything for a couple of DAYS.

these include the new speculars, generated with a "chrome" Effect.

the bussard caps now have a texture on them.  black and white contrasts have been added to the Nacelles, and the shape and colours of the Plasma manifolds have been changed.  there is also now a texture over the manifilds (a similar one is on the impulse drive glows on the back of the primary sphere)
originally, I was intending to insert my Species logo in the blank space between the decorative band, but it won't let me paste it in.  it would have glowed on it's own.

Aft.  note the new glow strip.  this will probably become a shuttlebay forcefeild.  the nacelle end plasma vents have been uniformly colored.  for once, the Registry is plainly visible.

Starboard.  this plainly shows the registry goof (i corrected the goof, but forgot to save the original before creating the specular).

I'm currently using the hardpoint for the USS Garth, which toughens this ship up considerably, pushing it into TMP era.  I'd like to work with the creator of the Garth for a Hardpoint of my own.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Dalek

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »
The registry of the Gabriel on the side is distorted vertically so it looks blurry and stretched. it might be a good idea to "strecth it back".

I am curious: What does PSXC mean?
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »
that distortion has something to do with how the creator wrapped the skin itself.  the original registry was heavily squashed to match the pixel height of the e-hull stripe.  since this is my own, I didn't really care.

it stands for "P-Star (fleet) Xenomorphic Class".  couldn't use "NCC" or "USS"  .  since it's a "capture", they assined a "xeno" designation.  they also know EXACTLY where the Daedali come from ;)
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
Nacelle skin only
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
more reports of "pink" prompted another redo, in this case, a colour test

this was only applied to the Nacelle, and done quickly.

i used a shade of Tan and "milk chocolate" this time.  although I wanted to avoid these as too Cardassianish, they only seem to use these for Compressor emission points.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
Much better that last pic, I think the hull markins on the side now need some work mate, good luck.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
that distortion has something to do with how the creator wrapped the skin itself.

Yeah, I was pretty noobish at mapping back then :P

I really need to go back to some of my older models and sort them out!
MUSE!!!

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »
helloooooooo JL Studios!

hope you don't mind the skin.  I collect Daedali, and got positivly annoyed as "duane Johnson XXIII" refusing to fly the ship because it was sans torpedoes.

now, if only I could figure out a proper way to recolor the hull.   the pannel lines and shading are so close to the grey used for the hull paint it eats into them when I try to color it up a bit.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Dalek

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 01:07:17 PM »
Try upping the contrast. That should give greater definition between the colours.

- Lorien

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »
well, gentlemen, i now officially consider my Daed skin finished.  i've added my species logo to the final version, and have tried to take some action shots.  now I have to work on the script, get my weapons damage and colors set, etc.

I'll add one of my best shots asap.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »
I managed to get a decent in-battle screen shot.  this is my finalized skin...now, i need to get a proper hardpoint.

also, remember that blacked out romulan D7 from the top of the page?
I reskinned that, too.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read