Author Topic: King class design sketches  (Read 592 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
King class design sketches
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »
My username ship is finally down on paper.  i have a couple quick sketches, here, of the basic design for the King class.  i need some once overs to point out design flaws, lack of weapons coverage, and a design scheme for the nacelles themselves (i have no Idea what to do with the design for them)

because of the "variable Geometry" design for the warp, I might have some trouble in that area concering the Backwash from the impulse engines on the nacelles while in impulse mode.

comments and suggestions are, of course, welcome.

OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Ryles

• Cookies: 0
Re: King class design sketches
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
Attach the impulse engines to the nacelle pylons. If you're going to copy Voyager's variable geometry, you might as well take some of the associated details too. :)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »
I shoulda said, the nacelles are on two scissors supports that split for warp travel from the "impulse travel" confirguration.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Ryles

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »
Like S-foils on an X-wing, then? Why not, then, just mount 4 impulse engines below the warp nacelles?

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:36:14 PM »
that actually sounds pretty friggin cool....
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:45 AM »
if I remember right, the distribution of the warp field occupies the whole of the nacelle.  you can't just tack impulse engines on the nacelle butts, they'd be tied together in power distribution.  if the core went down, it'd take the impulse power with it.  that's why the impulse deck it tacked onto the butt of the saucer.  I'm also thinking of the protection of the impulse drive and fusion deck from hits.  this is a Scout class, after all.

i need to make a "whole" pic.  the ship is actually just a saucer with two nacelles tacked on.

Ryles:check my sig.  the Kings are a derivative from  these intrepids, and have the next contract numbers up.  they still have the Borg to worry about, now that voyager's shaken up the hornet's nest :P

in universe note: my character is an old hand retired admril from a VERY thinly popuated species that bolted from their homeplanet just in time.  think Mackenzie Calhoun with a muzzle and a specialty in starframe design and modification (they've been buying leftovers and retirees off the Klingons and even the Romulans!)
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read