Author Topic: Can Bridge Commander go 1680x1050  (Read 1559 times)

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
Can Bridge Commander go 1680x1050
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:51:49 AM »
I jest got a new computer today and it has a Radeon HD 4650 card and a new Samsung Sync Master T220 monitor. I shiffed and searched through the forums here and i found not that really helped. The best one was the New Monitor topic that gave me the idea to edit the config file but when i but it to 1680x1050 you here the music in the background for the opining KM video. Once the main screen comes up i get the main menu with no pic and when i hit QB it shuts down. I would love it to be 1680x1050 if possible. Are there any ideas?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: Can Bridge Commander go 1680x1050
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:31 AM »
search "widescreen" - (not sure if you caught this thread)
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,5277.0.html

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:48:40 PM »
as far as I'm concerned the top possible resolution for BC is 1280 x 768 or even 1280 x 900 (well at least somewhere around 1280 x 700-900) for wide screen and for 4:3 aspect ratio it's 1600 x 1200

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:47:24 AM »
[Smacks his forehead] Honestly, it never occurred to me to type widescreen. Good call on that. I found a link to another forum that tells who to to do jest what i want, problem is i have no clue what he's talking about. Can i post the link here and get your thoughts? Also, is this not a tech support question? Jest wondering why it was moved. Sorry for that.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:44:07 AM »
why, different language ? could you give the link to that site ? maybe we could help

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
Technical Support is for those times you have a problem that makes it impossible to play BC.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 03:37:08 AM »
Ok, that make's since, i can still play the game. Ok here is the link to Kovacsn's fix.
http://forums.filefront.com/st-bc-modding-editing/386237-widescreen-1680x1050-hack-howto.html
He said that the SDK in involved in the process and that you need Notepad++. I think he would be a level 8 modder explaining this process to a level 5 modder but a level 1 modder like my self jest starting out has no clue. I got as far as step one, the easy part, but in step 2 he asks for the scripts/Tactical/Interface/ WeaponDisplay.py but when i open it in Note Pad i jest stair at it with out a clue what he is talking about. In the second step He ask's for scripts/Icons and rename LCARS_640.py, not i don't even have that unless it was a misspell the the file is really LCARS_640.pyc. SO after that i thought it best to consult you guys about this. What do you think? Oh yea, i opened LCARS_1600.pyc with NotePad++ and there is only 122 lines :shock:. I'm missing something some where.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:06:19 AM »
Ok, that make's since, i can still play the game. Ok here is the link to Kovacsn's fix.
http://forums.filefront.com/st-bc-modding-editing/386237-widescreen-1680x1050-hack-howto.html
He said that the SDK in involved in the process and that you need Notepad++. I think he would be a level 8 modder explaining this process to a level 5 modder but a level 1 modder like my self jest starting out has no clue. I got as far as step one, the easy part, but in step 2 he asks for the scripts/Tactical/Interface/ WeaponDisplay.py but when i open it in Note Pad i jest stair at it with out a clue what he is talking about. In the second step He ask's for scripts/Icons and rename LCARS_640.py, not i don't even have that unless it was a misspell the the file is really LCARS_640.pyc. SO after that i thought it best to consult you guys about this. What do you think? Oh yea, i opened LCARS_1600.pyc with NotePad++ and there is only 122 lines :shock:. I'm missing something some where.

The .py versions of those files are in the SDK.
MUSE!!!

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »
Do you have to convert the py files with something to make it pyc? I did everything but to put the new 640.py file in there is still 640.pyc. Game crashes right out the gate.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
you need to copy needed files from SDK scripts folder as they are editable .py files instead of .pyc then you'll be able to edit them

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »
A .pyc file is a compiled python script. The game has a compiler built in, but will only compile a .py into a .pyc if the .pyc isn't present. So, modify the .py in the SDK, move to where it needs to be in your installation, then delete the .pyc there with the same name.
MUSE!!!

Offline bankruptstudios

• Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »
Thank you, i'll try it out right now.

Alright everyone.Thank to all your help with what i didn't understand and a little bit creative thinking it works beautifully!!!!!! Now for any who would like the altered files that do work in game i can upload them if you wish. I'm running KM and you only need to do steps 1 2 and 3. My problem was not deleting the existing PY and PYC files, both need to be gone or the system will crash. The fonts in the menus are a little small but totaly readable. Kovacsn said that the Kobayashi Maru line number in SystemIcons.py are different, and the download only contained mainmenu.pyc, so he didn't edit it.

Step 1 for KM open options.cfg and change Display Width and Display Height to 1680x1050 with notepad++ and save. Jest a note, you can change the Fullscreen Mode to 0 for windowed or 1 for full screen. Windowed takes the full screen jest like the Full screen option but if you change in game it freezes.

Step 2 is open the SDK/build/script/Tactical/Interface/ and copy WeaponDisplay.py and past to desktop. Right click on it and uncheck read only, apply and ok. Open with Notepad++ and do what he said in step 2 and save.

Step 3 is SDK/build/scripts/Icons and copy LCARS_1600.py to desk top. Rename it to LCARS_640.py and right click it and uncheck read only, apply and ok. Open with Notepad++ and do what he said in step 3 and save.

Now with these files on your desk top open you BC folder witch should be already open from editing the option.cfg file. Go to script/Tactical/Interface/ and backup WeaponDisplay.py and WeaponDisplay.pyc somewhere then delete. then copy and past the new WeaponDisplay.py from you desk top there and do the same with step 3. Start the game and enjoy.

I do not take any credit for this. It was all Kovacsn hard work that made this possible. With the help of our fellow forum members i posted this to help any fucher members who wish to upgrade there rez to 1680x1050. Thank you to all who helped. Hope you enjoy.