Author Topic: New BC mod and mod team: Aftermath  (Read 41825 times)

Offline tjoz

• Cookies: 3
  • Aftermath series creator
New BC mod and mod team: Aftermath
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:43:40 AM »
Introducing a new mod to venture into Bridge Commander; Aftermath.

As some people may already know, Aftermath is one of a few highly successful Legacy mods that revolutionized gameplay and mod creation within the Legacy modding community. With over 2years worth of modding for the Legacy engine, Aftermath will be making its first venture into other games starting with Bridge Commander.

However, instead of porting Legacy Aftermath directly into Bridge Commander; the BC version of Aftermath will have its own identity that differs to its Legacy counterpart. The same level of detail and work ethic that is displayed will be consistent in the BC version of Aftermath. Aftermath has always maintained fun and engaging gameplay with dark undertones and this style of gameplay will be transferred over to Bridge Commander. How exactly the transition goes is all under wraps but we have an extensive future planned out for BC Aftermath.

BC Aftermath will contain new ships that are balanced to provide all users a consistent gameplay experience without favoring a particular specced machine. This means all players of various computer specs will be able to have the same experience as higher end machines without sacrificing quality. This has always been a key feature of Legacy Aftermath and the same principle will be displayed in BC. The ships will be balanced to provide opportunities ranging from deep space exploration, one on one combat and right through to large scale fleet battles.

As is to be expected with any ST mod, canon values are always an area. This is an area in which we will follow the basic canon principles but have everything balanced without granting a race god-like abilities. We are aiming for fun, fair and balanced gameplay. We want to provide the player with variety and add new elements to tactical gameplay where people will have to make more careful decisions when entering combat scenarios.

One thing Aftermath has guaranteed are a reliable release flow. This means we will have regular releases without large and lengthy development times. We will have small scale releases that build a base for a much larger future.

Our home site is currently undergoing some site changes but will be fully operational soon.

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
Re: New BC mod and mod team: Aftermath
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:56:50 AM »
/drool

I've seen your work on Legacy, awesome stuff... Here's too hoping the BC Aftermath will be equally as awesome =D.

Out of curiosity, will you be making your mod a 'successor' to the KM 1.0 mod... And will you be giving it things like multiplayer capability?

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »
does this mean you will be porting alot of legacy models to BC? I had actualy planned on starting such a project for authors who were willing, so perhaps we can help eachother.

Does your team have modelers then, I assume?
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline Maxloef

• STBC Aftermath Co Founder
  • Cookies: 61
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
yup their al ports from legacy or kitbashes, by me :P and i am the only one who know how to import them, your free to join ^^

also...i present you

The Confederation Refit...

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:12:28 AM »
good to see the team here!
*cookies*

Offline Shino Tenshi

• NG|mods Founder
  • Cookies: 23
  • Aw, man...
    • NG|mods website
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »
Then why you won't you finally release that m3d importer of yours....

Also: Did you even get permission from MadDoc to port and alter their models?

i am the only one who know how to import them
Being the only one KNOWING and being the one with the only POSSIBILITY are kind of two major different things.

Offline gdata

• STLegacyFiles Site Manager
  • Cookies: 4
  • LegacyFiles Site Manager
    • Legacy Files
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »
yup their al ports from legacy or kitbashes, by me :P and i am the only one who know how to import them, your free to join ^^

You don't make a lot friends with that attitude...at least not in the Legacy Community...

Offline Maxloef

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 08:25:08 AM »
Look guys i didnt come here to have a discussion with you guys, furthermore, there is no importer...i use a diferent way..and did you ever bother to ask politly?

@Admins, could u please remove these posts, its not really ontopic.

Offline Shino Tenshi

• NG|mods Founder
  • Cookies: 23
  • Aw, man...
    • NG|mods website
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:18 AM »
since when is it off-topic to ask if you got proper permissions?

Offline JamesTiberiusKirk

• Johnny Walker... one of my best friends! Cheers!
  • Cookies: 33
  • Cheers!
    • My Myspace Page ->
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
I tend to aggree. Also legacy models are somewhat different to the bc ones. Some BC models are even of better quality then the legacy ones. Look for the ENT-Era ships. I think you can clearly see that (stock) Legacy was p81's work and that is somewhat outdated speaking of canon. You better kitbash the existing enterprise by Mark and those guys, which are of better quality. and what do you think you can do about the DJ galaxy or the CG sovereign? those models are even used in some larger legacy mods, so I farely dont see the point. atleast in the aspect of replacing existing mods. Its a tuffie to replace an even perfect model with an inferior one.

"And this... is... to go... even further beyond!"

Offline gdata

• Legacy Files
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »
Look guys i didnt come here to have a discussion with you guys, furthermore, there is no importer...i use a diferent way..and did you ever bother to ask politly?

@Admins, could u please remove these posts, its not really ontopic.

I talked to tjoz and muldrf...they both said you wouldn't share it. Is that enough? At least you have information on the binary fileformat we don't have, otherwise I doubt you could get the model into 3ds max. Also, if I was in your position, I wouldn't want a discussion as well.

Offline Maxloef

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »
@JTK, Some ships are lower quality in legacy yes, but this will make for performance in larger battles and on lower budget pc's this will be a mod designed for everyone. And allot of models will be upgraded model and texture wise.

@Gdata i dont use an importer i use a capture programm, i wont say the name but just google for 3d Screen capture programms, are you satisfied now? =P

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:46:31 AM »
Howdy Tim.

I may not have been extremely useful using the more modern and up to date tools available to help on texturing in Legacy. Mind if I rejoin the team for this venture into BC? I'm a little more experienced with the tools available and can also venture into the world of hardpointing again (and with more noticeable results and success, unless Fangoriously would rather do it).

I can do bridges fairly well and with you biting at my heels I should be able to crank them out with greater frequency. Grad school for me is over and I'll have a bit of free time on weekends (with no gaming to really take up all that much time).

I can do a lot more things through the BC engine than I can do with Legacy's and this might be real fun to have an overhaul mod that's based on gameplay rather than what's onscreen (and consequently better multiplayer).

I have not forgotten about my work with the Legacy mod. I'm about halfway through with the ship descriptions, just caught me at a time when I'll be moving in the next month so things will be a little hectic.

I hope I can be of some use this time around (since I kind of got of replaced by others' talented work the last time :P)

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
I really like how some of those ships look. I'm curious. Are you planning on adding new systems and missions a la Aftermath? That would be really cool as one thing BC hasn't had in a while is system and mission mods. (They used to be popular.)

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:54 AM »
It's also a good point to make that without the often frustrating limits of the Legacy engine (which was never designed to be easily moddable in the first place), this project should flourish easily.

Frankly, I'm excited about the prospect of having lower-detailed models in a large scale endeavor like this. You will be able to have more onscreen at any given time and the opportunities there make for exciting gameplay.

Tim, was this something you were planning to add that would go on top of other mods, like KM, or something we would be building from the ground up?

Offline Maxloef

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »
Well, im not Tjoz, but me and him were discussing it, we plan te encorporate "USS Frontier's Galaxy Charts" Mod and expaninding with more systems and places to go and dsicover, we hope we can add a mission structure.

Offline gdata

• Legacy Files
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »
@JTK, Some ships are lower quality in legacy yes, but this will make for performance in larger battles and on lower budget pc's this will be a mod designed for everyone. And allot of models will be upgraded model and texture wise.

@Gdata i dont use an importer i use a capture programm, i wont say the name but just google for 3d Screen capture programms, are you satisfied now? =P

Indeed I am. Thanks very much...I owe you one. Would you mind if I created a tutorial on how to do that? With credits to you for that hint, of course.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
Also, because I am in geekgasm mode for this news:

The maps are going to be amazing if Tim is making them. He has done things with the Legacy engine regarding mapping that just have to be seen in person to be believed. Considering that BC maps are absolutely massive and in three full dimensions, this should be epic.

Offline Maxloef

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 10:13:14 AM »

Indeed I am. Thanks very much...I owe you one. Would you mind if I created a tutorial on how to do that? With credits to you for that hint, of course.

No i dont mind, the credit...welll yeah would be nice ^^ and your welcome :P

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »
stock legacy does indeed have some ship classes that are unique to anything else. I was, however, refering to modded ships. I am a single ship modder/release person here at BC. Certainly if I can get authors to contribute their models to BC, and even better if I can get the models in a format that's easier to convert (IE the original mesh before being ported to legacy and with the damage stuff removed) then you guys can also use them.

Also, as a moderator I feel I do need to make a couple things clear. There is to be no rdue arguements of any kind, and no questioning permissions publicly. Lets let the project leaders decide who and what is done. Maxloef, are you even on their team? At any rate, things need to stay civil and polite in here or this thread gets locked.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129