Author Topic: Greetings Captains!  (Read 2202 times)

Daimaju

Greetings Captains!
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:34:04 PM »
Im totally new to BC and actually new to ST too. I recently watched ST11 and I loved it. Asking myself if there is any Computergame that would simulate ST, I found BC, buyed it cheap and installed it together with Kobayashi Maru 1.0, because it is the biggest mod so far. Bigger sometimes is better I thought.

So here I am. No clue about the game, its capabilities or how deep the Systems are simulated.

I joined a TDM MP match recently and was a bit dissapointed. not because I was fried by a Borg cube, I was just missing the goal of all this.

Shortcut: What can BC offer me? Im searching for nice, long, movie-like battles, full of tension. Can BC deliver that?

I played a few SP Missions with KM 1.0 and just a few, compatible Mods/Mutators. But this will end soon, so where is the long time motivation, where is the point of this game - or what is it?

Maybe you guys could tell me about you, or how you play/what you play... I have the feeling I miss the point somewhere?

Have a good night,
Daimaju

PS: Oh, is there a useful source with information about tactics, tipps, tricks etc?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Greetings Captains!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
It's nice to see people such as yourself, who weren't previously a fan of Star Trek and became one due to the new movie. To me, that says that JJ Abrams did exactly what he was aiming for, which was to bring in new fans to Star Trek, with a movie that was meant both for existing fans, and to create new fans.

I bid you welcome to these grounds, and welcome you into the great Star Trek community :)

Bridge Commander was released in 2002, and as such has had many years of community development. As I read from your post, you've found yourself installing the Kobayashi Maru mod. It consists of a great many of the communitys best work over the years.

It's been quite some time since I played through the singleplayer campaign. Usually I end up playing a few quickbattle rounds as a diversion. It's fun trying out different scenarios, such as re-enacting the battle between the Reliant and the Enterprise. Taking the role as the Reliant, and fighting against an AI "Hard" controlled opponent. If there is one thing i'd like to see added to the game, is an enhanced AI, so that the Hard AI actually ends up providing a bit of challenge :P
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Daimaju

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
Thank you very much for the nice welcome! :)

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
Since you liked the new Star Trek movie, I recently released the Enterprise and Kelvin ships as well. They both seem to be doing very well.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Daimaju

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:09:15 PM »
Yeah I found them on Files.net
But I was too lazy to install them so far ;o)

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:31:49 PM »
Welcome to BCC, Daimaju!

As for interest in the game, I just like blowing up ships and damaging the heck out of them!  Oh, and making screenshots.

Personally, I almost always play from outside the bridge.  That way, I can watch battle damage form, get interesting camera angles, and fully enjoy the beautiful ships and effects that this community has created.

One basic thing you might not be aware of, which makes the game WAY more fun, is that you have direct control over the ship, rather than just being able to bark orders to the crew.  Check out the controls menu to figure out how.  Hopefully you know this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Again, welcome to the community!  And welcome to BC!

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:17:46 AM »
Hey, if you do some research, you can also get so realistic that you won't have to take the conn yourself.

---

There is a program out there called "Shoot!", a thing that presses keys according to your voice.  Someone has made a BC profile for it.  For example, if I say "Red Alert", the program will hit Shift 3, activating your red alert!  If you search around on BCF (Bridge Commander Files) using "shoot", you should find it.  From there you'll be able to get the profile as well as a link to Shoot.  Then, if you put in the time, you can program in more commands.  I for example have a new command where if I say "Kiska", it'll hit the hotkey that brings up Kiska's menu.  Then if I say "Engage", it'll hit the up arrows and down arrows then enter so it'll hit the Warp button.  There isn't an actual hotkey for going to warp, so you'll have to fiddle around.  For me, I have it hit the up arrow a dozen times so it has highlighted the top most button, then have it hit down the dozen or so times until it highlights "Warp", where it then hits enter.

Pretty nifty, eh?  I've won battles just by talking to my bridge crew alone. :)

---

There is another program called "Auto Hotkey".  This one can allow you to map your joystick to keys, thereby allowing you to use your joystick to control the vessels flight.  It'll take some scripting skills, though, as there is no ready made code with which to use it.

---

I don't have either of the two programs mentioned above, nor the scripts, sadly, due to a memory wipeout.  Hopefully though these tips will let you have a more rewarding experience.

---

Also, look on BCF for the BC Supermod 3.  Install this mod pack onto a separate installation of BC, as it will conflict with KM.

It gives you a much better campaign experience than KM.

Daimaju

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 05:42:47 AM »
Wow.
Thanks for all the tips guys, thats very nice! I will try some things from time to time. But I think if I start talking to my computer, my girlfriend goes crazy. She hates my PC enough already, I shouldnt... provoke her :D

I think I will complete the campaign with the Supermod first, then spend some time with KM and quick battles. after this I will try MP sessions again. so far I was unlucky. I always loose, no matter what I try. There is something I must doing wrong. Shields and weapons max, arming for sensors... but my opponent fries me... (Borg Cube by the way)

Is it actually possible to win against a cube with a galaxy or sovereign?
I had the feeling... its not! :lol:

Offline JamesTiberiusKirk

• Johnny Walker... one of my best friends! Cheers!
  • Cookies: 33
  • Cheers!
    • My Myspace Page ->
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 05:55:05 AM »
When the bell rings... just... dont open the door  :lol:

"And this... is... to go... even further beyond!"

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
Is it actually possible to win against a cube with a galaxy or sovereign?
I had the feeling... its not! :lol:
If you want to know what it takes to destroy a Borg Cube you should watch the movie First Contact.

Daimaju

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 01:03:38 PM »
Ive seen it once, years ago, but I cant remember exactly. I think I remember lots of Federation ships, am I right? ;o)

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »
yeah lots and lots of them... maybe 30+
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Daimaju

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
Well in this case, MP, especially DM seems to be useless to me. Just take a Borg cube and rule the galaxy?
Dissapointing...

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
yeah, most of the fun I have with BC is in QB, for one thing, you aren't limited to having exactly the same install as everyone else on the server, you get to install anything you want.  If you pick the right mix of ships, even the AI can be a challenge, I've had battles go for 30 minutes or more.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
Well in this case, MP, especially DM seems to be useless to me. Just take a Borg cube and rule the galaxy?
Dissapointing...

In DM games we have a system where it is only 1 on 1 battles.

Avoid IKF and Devil Dog servers or servers that have Borg cubes controlled by players... those are hacks...
However if you play on turkeyshoot servers you have access to a lot more features and weapons.
Also turkeyshoot servers have the ability to add AI ships so you and your friends can take on fleets or gang up on Borg ships.

Daimaju

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »
Thank you. I think my "Alone against a Borg-Cube experience" was on one of those servers. I wont join them anymore. The problem is that there are not many servers at all. of course not, the game is oooold...

Too bad... But MP seems to be pointless anyway. Im missing something there... :?

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
KM 1.0 is a MP mod, and you will see about 10+ servers up over the weekends.

Its more active around then.

Daimaju

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
I had about 3-5 last weekend, but maybe its a matter of timezone too ;o)

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »
oh what time zone are ya in?

I may put a server up this weekend.

Daimaju

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »
CET - Good old Germany 8)