Author Topic: Constant Crashing with BC Supermod in SP  (Read 1209 times)

Exposure

Constant Crashing with BC Supermod in SP
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »
So, I followed the instructions to the letter, I've installed it, it loads up fine, everything works fine...except the SP campaign. No matter what mission I take, about always 1-2 minutes in the campaign, it goes black, then it CTDs. Before I installed BC supermod, it would run without crashing for long periods of time.

In case you want to know what I'm running this with, I have a Intel Pentium 4, two Radeon HD3750, 3GB of memory, and 4 hard drives. So I think this should overrule any "Not powerful enough to run it" cases...

And for even more specifics, I used BCSMC to install Foundation, installed the v1.1 patch before installing the mod, and I'm using the 3.1 update for the mod.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Re: Constant Crashing with BC Supermod in SP
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:59:58 PM »
You can't load old game saves which you created with an unmodded install of BC while you have Supermod installed. It kills it. If that is what you are doing, then you need to start the SP gampaign over again for Supermod to take effect.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
Try disabling any mods in the mutator screen.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Exposure

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »
To Billz: Billz, I'm not that noobish, I've tried starting a new campaign several times, and with no avail.

To MLeo: Already tried that.

I'm also using Windows Vista.

I like to note that it gains some more stability when on windowed mode, but its still much sooner than with Vanilla BC.

And before you say it, I've already turned off UAC, so there's no real need of running every program in administrator mode anymore.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 12:15:46 AM »
didn't BCSMC have a newer version of foundation packed along with it than whats available sep at bcfiles?

IIRC BC Supermod was packed with its own version as well... could be a conflict there.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:35:12 AM »
didn't BCSMC have a newer version of foundation packed along with it than whats available sep at bcfiles?

IIRC BC Supermod was packed with its own version as well... could be a conflict there.
nope, you still need to install foundation.
 Did you run the batch file?  If you did, are there more than one install of BC on your machine?  The batch file will not work unless the install which you intend to install BCSM on is in the default directory.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 05:18:33 AM »
SuperMod requires an older version of foundation than found in BCSMC. Download BCUT and install "Basic Foundation" which gives SuperMod what it needs.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »
To Billz: Billz, I'm not that noobish, I've tried starting a new campaign several times, and with no avail.

I like to note that it gains some more stability when on windowed mode, but its still much sooner than with Vanilla BC.

And before you say it, I've already turned off UAC, so there's no real need of running every program in administrator mode anymore.

Firstly, I was only trying to help so there was no need for that attitude. I should know since I used to have that attitude aswell.
Secondly, you did not mention in the first post that you had restarted the campaign as not restarting the campaign often results in the problem you described above.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »
And for even more specifics, I used BCSMC to install Foundation, installed the v1.1 patch before installing the mod, and I'm using the 3.1 update for the mod.
From what I understanded there, you installed things in the order:
BC -> Foundation -> 1.1 official patch -> SuperMod, etc etc

If that's right, there's your problem. The patch always needs to be installed right after BC, and Foundation right after the patch.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Exposure

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:08:29 PM »

Firstly, I was only trying to help so there was no need for that attitude. I should know since I used to have that attitude aswell.
Secondly, you did not mention in the first post that you had restarted the campaign as not restarting the campaign often results in the problem you described above.

Sorry, I just really hate it when people point out  things that are obvious to me, its just my Berserk Button.  And anyway, problem's fixed thanks to USS Sovereign.

Though now it turns out that whole "every ship dies out in 5 seconds" was NOT related with this....no offense to the mod creator, but if that's his thinking of balance, then either every ship has paper hulls in the shows or he didn't actually playtest it.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »
no offense to the mod creator, but if that's his thinking of balance, then either every ship has paper hulls in the shows or he didn't actually playtest it.
CR says he deliberately set it up that way
A lot of people also seem to be having balancing issues with the supermod 3.0 - I need to play this off my new Vista rig and see if it's as impossible as everyone is saying, because I blew through it dozens of times on my old XP rig with no balancing issues; as I've said before, the modification is designed to be like the series - really fast battles that end nasty really quick (though I know that there were some ridiculous Voyager episodes where an Intrepid-class would get hit by just about everything and still manage to fly away).

-CR
but thats a different topic for a different thread...

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 11:35:02 PM »

Though now it turns out that whole "every ship dies out in 5 seconds" was NOT related with this....no offense to the mod creator, but if that's his thinking of balance, then either every ship has paper hulls in the shows or he didn't actually playtest it.

I beta tested this mod as well, and I can tell you that the balance is as accurate as possible, I actually found the balance to be a step or two more difficult than the stock balance, the ships are far more easily matched, no more blasting through 10 galors without a scratch on your galaxy.  of course installing mods on top of BCSM is not recommended, as it disrupts this balance.